Paul Bryant

bakeostrin

Sad news. It's a pity his Pacific Jazz albums were not reissued, poor sales of Pacific Jazz CDs considered. What I know is the Johnny Griffin Riverside which I featured on my last BFT, and the Curtis Amy sides from the Select, but I certainly would like to hear more - he seemed to be somewhat more original than most B3 practioners.

Besides the Amy sessions, how many Pacifics Jazz LPs have been issued?

Edited by mikeweil

• 1 year later...
  • 9 years later...

Just discovered this old thread - my discography of Paul Bryant might be helpful - his recording activity is all between 1960 and 1965 but all is interesting.

The first revision is due, as I just found out by aural comparison that the the takes of This Is The Blues on the Pacific Jazz sampler with the same title and the LP The Blues Message are different!

I am not surprised, as Richard Bock used unissued takes in most cases for his samplers.

Edited by mikeweil

Right now I have no means to connect my computer to the HiFi. But it is on the list.

To make sure one would have to compare all existing issues of a track. Sometimes they are just different edits, sometimes they are alternates. Some of the tracks on compilations are leftovers from LP sessions, like the Teddy Edwards with Hampton Hawes, which was made at a Jimmy Witherspoon session. Many labels did so, but Richard Bock was the wildest. 

Edited by mikeweil