New EUR Rhino box set series?

mjzee

You also have a choice on Joe Farrell Quartet. There is the Wounded Bird issue and there is a British issue on the Hux label. Both were circa 2013 or so. I own both, have not done a comparison. I might actually be able to find both CDs to look at mastering details if anyone is interested.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The CTI 40th series were all on Sony Masterworks with mastering by Mark Wilder and Maria Triana, no licensing deal. For example, I am looking at the back of Benson's "Body Talk" now, it says copyright 2011 Sony Music Entertainment and printed 1973, 2002 Sony Music Entertainment

Thanks for the info!

I've been playing the albums from the Joe Farrell Rhino boxset over the last few days and here are my (subjective) conclusions.

Firstly I can confirm that they sound exactly the same as the previous Wounded Bird releases. So, the ones I didn't like the sound of before, I don't like now. These are the three with Joe Beck on them, "Canned Funk", Penny Arcade" and "Upon This Rock". To me they sound very loud and shrill; not at all pleasant to listen to.

However the other two albums, "Outback" and "The Joe Farrell Quartet" sound fine. In fact "Outback" sounds equally as good as my Japanese version on King.

So, I can only assume that Rudy Van Gelder recorded the albums with Joe Beck on them differently from the others. Either that or they have been mastered differently.

I would still be interested in learning how the Japanese version of "Penny Arcade" sounds... but I won't be forking out any more money to buy a copy.

I agree. I had Stand Up and Benefit back in the day; my LP of Stand Up had the stand up in the foldout. I never had This Was, but remember "My Sunday Feeling" from one of those Warner Bros. samplers back in the day. I figured this 3-pack is all I'd need.