Sale at Zweitausendeins

I can help you with the "Ba-lue Bolivar Ba-lues-are", Ross. (I hope you spelled it right! I just copied it from your post and I'm not going to check. :) )

The scratchy opening IS in the U.S. set, and Orrin explains in the notes that this opening was removed from the piece on LPs issued after the very earliest editions. He does not recall why this was done. When they were preparing the box set, they had to dub the opening from a rare copy of the LP.

The Evans Riverside set from ZYX is definitely sonically the same as the U.S. one. And it's remarkably good, too. So good, that a friend of mine was able to detect an out-of-tune piano for the first time ever!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Shrdlu, that's one mystery solved. I was wondering why the opening was scratchy but not the rest of it. I guess I'm glad they didn't noise-reduce the life out of it either. I have another question for you (or anyone). There's a 10.45 version of Epistrophy on Monk's Music which is in the box but there's a 3.07 version of Epistrophy on Monk/Coltrane that isn't on the box (unless I've missed it!) but there is a 1.46 "fragment" in the box. So, is the Monk/Coltrane version pieced together from the two in the box or is it missing from the box?

I agree, the Evans/Riverside sounds more than fine.

Still wondering about all the pseudo-stereo on the Tatum Group box. Maybe the original mono tapes were lost(?).

Adam,

They were a bit slow in getting to me. I think it took them 4-5 days just to confirm the order, and then it took another 10-12 days for me to get the items. The Monk set didn't have a booklet with it, and was not in a box. The Pepper set was sealed, with booklet. Hope they get to you soon! I've only listened to the first disc of each set so far, but am really liking what I've heard so far. :tup

Ross, the Monk box set is not missing any of the "Epistrophy" takes. One take broke down at some point after Trane's solo. For the Monk with Coltrane LP, they used a version consisting of this take as far as the end of Trane's solo with the ending of the other released take spliced on. This was well worth doing, as Trane's solo is quite different from the one on the completed take that appeared on the "Monk's Music" album.

What the box set does lack is stereo versions of a few tracks from that session and the Mulligan session. The separate (OJC) CDs have stereo versions of some tracks that are mono in the box set. I'm afraid that Orrin is kinda prone to make that kind of error when he produces reissues. He needs a season in France - they sure tend to be thorough and painstaking when it comes to jazz research! But, still, these are minor errors, and some (including a certain RVG) do not like stereo recordings by independent labels in the early days of stereo. I like them, and I think they have a very good "soundstage" in all the cases that I've heard.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I wrote and asked what happened. The box sent 16 May never arrived. They sent out another on 9 July which just arrived!

Hoever, the Pepper Galxy set is missing discs 5-8, and there are no booklets or discographical information of any sort with either set of discs. Actually, neither set even has a larger box. Each just has its set of 4 discs jewel cases - 4 for the Monk, and 3 for the Pepper (and one missing).

This almost hasn't been worth it for me.

Edited by Adam

Their error ratio is very high.

However they are nice about trying to fix things.

I eventually (& I do mean eventually) wound up with the Tatum Group set & the Pepper Galaxy for just under $60 US (including shipping).

They essentialliy "ate" the cost of the Tatum because they sent it in error.

My only actual disappointment in the end was that the Pepper has absolutely no printed info..

What/who is Couw? I 'd like to get my hands on that discography, too-if possible. Claude? Can you possibly spare an extra copy and I'll pay the shipping? My Pepper came w/ the little box&booklet, not intensely useful or informative. I could burn an OOP for you, too-or somethin'....? Sure am diggin' the music, though. Thanks

Couw is a member here and on the AAJ board.

(As mentioned already on another BB) Some people received sets without booklets, others received the booklet but may not be too thrilled by their lay-out and lack of information.

I have put together "alternative" booklets to various OJC box-sets by pulling together all relevant information spread across the original booklets (sometimes "relevant" info was even absent). These "alternative" booklets have the same size as a jewel case. They list recording date - personel - song title and author - and original release.

Following are available:

- Coltrane - Complete Prestige

- Evans - Complete Riverside

- Mingus - Complete Debut

- Monk - Complete Riverside

- Pepper - Complete Galaxy

- Rollins - Prestige

The Evans, Pepper, and Rollins are one double sided page, the others have two double sided pages. You make a double sided printout of pages 1 and 2 and another double sided print-out of pages 3 and 4. You cut it all out along the lines and make sure you cut along the outer line where it says "Disk 7." You fold along the inner line to produce a pasting-strip. You then glue the small one (printout of pages 3 & 4) to the big one (printout of pages 1 & 2).

You end up with a booklet with a title on the front. If you open it, "Disk 10" should be facing you. You can then open it again and you have everything from "Disk 1" thru "Disk 9" facing you.

I have put them online for download. You can find them here 

I anyone finds any mistakes, please let me know.

http://forums.allaboutjazz.com/showthread....20&pagenumber=4

As Couw made the booklets available online (link in quoted post), there is no need for me to email them (unless there are problems with downloading). As the font on the booklets is rather small, you should use a good laser printer to print them out.

Hoever, the Pepper Galxy set is missing discs 5-8, and there are no booklets or discographical information of any sort with either set of discs. Actually, neither set even has a larger box. Each just has its set of 4 discs jewel cases - 4 for the Monk, and 3 for the Pepper (and one missing).

Try and write Mr Luening an email (I think the address is sluening@zweitausendeins.de, but I would have to check at home tonight - write me a PM if the above address is wrong, and I'll come back to you tonight). He was very helpful when they first sent me twice discs 5-8 and none 9-12 from the Monk set, and then (see above in this thread), also a wrong disc 8 of the Evans Riverside.

I could keep the additional discs (after having gotten rid of the MD Jazz Giants disc 'coz I had all of it in the Monk Prestige box, I finally have the Prestige MD Quintet take on 'Round Midnight again this way!)

and they sent me replacements (which were correct, by the way) very soon.

Then, couw's booklets are very good! (thanks again :) ) I got Pepper and Evans Fantasy and Tatum Group with small little booklets, and Tatum Solo, Monk Riverside and Evans Riverside with none.

ubu

Ubu is correct with Herr Lüning's e-mail address. You can alternately write to Zweitausendeins' customer service at service@zweitausendeins.de.

Herr Lüning was VERY helpful in resolving a problem I had with the Evans box set also. I can only give Zweitausendeins a big thumbs up for their customer service.

That said, it must also be pointed out that a large number of these inexpensive box sets appear to be selling without the actual box (or slipcover in most cases) and booklet. An employee at my local Zweitausendeins outlet here in Stuttgart told me that they were getting them that way from their source (ZYX directly perhaps?). While I'm not really sure about that, it appears that either the source or zweitausendeins is just trying to get rid of them at fire-sale prices. (maybe ZYX/Fantasy is getting ready to replace these boxes with remastered versions?)

Using jlhoots example - he got 22 discs for less than $60, including shipping. This is less than $3/disc. At that price it's difficult to complain, as long as you're getting all of the discs you are paying for.

Also another thank you to couw for the great information he has provided.

I can only give Zweitausendeins a big thumbs up for their customer service.

as Aggie said! thumbs up :tup

That said, it must also be pointed out that a large number of these inexpensive box sets appear to be selling without the actual box (or slipcover in most cases) and booklet. An employee at my local Zweitausendeins outlet here in Stuttgart told me that they were getting them that way from their source (ZYX directly perhaps?). While I'm not really sure about that, it appears that either the source or zweitausendeins is just trying to get rid of them at fire-sale prices. (maybe ZYX/Fantasy is getting ready to replace these boxes with remastered versions?)

seems so. I complained when I received my BIG package (the usual shabby cardboard box...) and Mr Luening answered telling me they got these sets like that from their source (ZYX?), and that I can of course send those back I don't want (which of course I did, and then ordered the full-price sets from the US <_< )

ubu

Edited by king ubu

• 1 month later...

Zweitausendeins now has

some 30 HatOLOGY titles for 4.99 Euro (Steve Lacy, Matthew Shipp, Lee Konitz, etc, not listed online, check the downloadable catalog "Merkheft")

and many remastered Sony 2CD sets for 9.99 Euro (including the Miles@Blackhawk discs):

http://www.zweitausendeins.de/displayV2.cf...2709&language=1 --> "Angebote"

Edited by Claude

Guest Chaney

Thanks VERY MUCH Claude for spotting that Hat sale and posting the information.

I'm too embarrassed to divulge the number of Hat titles that I purchased but I will tell you that I didn't buy two of them. :winky:

My wallet is screaming but that deal is just too good to let pass.

And I've already received word that (amazingly!) all are in stock!

:party:

This seems to be a general promotion by the labels, also available in other stores. Here is a list of the concerned HatOLOGY albums from a different shop:

http://www.jpc.de/de/angebote/index.php?an...ngebote131.html

And the Sony 2CD sets:

http://www.jpc.de/de/angebote/index.php?an...ngebote040.html

As you can see Zweitausandeins is cheaper than JPC. But check the applicable shipping costs also.

Edited by Claude

Before i go mad with my wallet , is there any must haves in the hatology list ?

I have my eye on the Eskelin & Shipp titles , but they are the only 2 artists i know .

Any recommendations on the others please?

Edited by Gary

These discs have been in the zweitausendeins stores for about two weeks now - the clerk there told me it wouldn't show up on their website until the new catalog came out.

I've picked up the Shipp titles, and like all of them. I also like the Billy Bang/Dennis Charles "Bangception" disc. And the Dave Douglas Tiny Bell Trio "Constellation" is well worth it!

I also nabbed a couple of the Lacy discs, the Ran Blake tribute to Horace Silver, the Eskelin, and the Konitz/Solal live disc. Haven't listened to any of these yet, so I won't pass judgement.

I may go back and pick up some of the others, without knowing too much about them. At these prices, how can you go wrong??

They've also currently got almost all of the Zappa discs, for €9.99 apiece. Where's a good place to ease into his work?

I don't have much of Miles' live stuff. I have the new Blackhawk discs (love em!!!), as well as "It's About That Time", and "Four and More". I used to have the Carnegie Hall set, but traded it in a while ago - for some reason it didn't register for me at the time.

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a couple of these, since they're priced right:

Agharta

At Carnegie Hall 61 (worth reconsidering?)

At Fillmore - Live at the Fillmore East

Black Beauty - at Fillmore West

Dark Magus

In Concert

Live Evil

Pangaea

The Complete Concert 1964

Which of these are the standouts? Should any be avoided at all cost? Also, how is "Big Fun"? It's also on sale.

Thanks,

Erik

Edited by Aggie87

I have all these Miles titles & its unbelievably hard to choose between them all

i think the most important ones would be

LIVE EVIL (maybe my favourite Miles LP definately top 3)

Agharta

Pangea

Complete Concert 64

If you like Its about time , you'll enjoy Black Beauty,Filmore East,& Dark Magus (I find In concert to be the weaker of these CDs). People all seem to vary when choosing a favourite from these- mine is Filmore East ,but it is heavily edited.

Theres some cracking tunes on Big Fun especially GO Ahead John which is worth the money alone (youll like this CD if you enjoy the Bitches Brew period).

Its an easy thing to say but you wont go wrong with any of these.

Edited by Gary

I don't have much of Miles' live stuff. I have the new Blackhawk discs (love em!!!), as well as "It's About That Time", and "Four and More". I used to have the Carnegie Hall set, but traded it in a while ago - for some reason it didn't register for me at the time.

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a couple of these, since they're priced right:

Agharta

At Carnegie Hall 61 (worth reconsidering?)

At Fillmore - Live at the Fillmore East

Black Beauty - at Fillmore West

Dark Magus

In Concert

Live Evil

Pangaea

The Complete Concert 1964

Which of these are the standouts? Should any be avoided at all cost? Also, how is "Big Fun"? It's also on sale.

Thanks,

Erik

- "Agartha" & "Pangea" were recorded the same day (Japan 1975), in my view the latter (evening concert) is better

- "Dark Magus" (live NYC 1974) relies heavily on guitars

Those concerts follow the same structure. 20-25 minute long tracks with a steady Al Foster beat and guitar, soprano and (wah-wah) trumpet solo. On the 1975 concert Miles sounds weak.

- At Carnegie Hall 61: great quintet tracks, but the Gil Evans orchestra parts are less interesting than the studio collaborations. Sound not very good

Oops, I have to go now. More on this later, maybe...