Sale at Zweitausendeins

Zweitausendeins are offering several jazz twofers at low prices, such as the Deluxe Editions of Coltrane's Ballads and A Love Supreme at only €12.99 (approximately $14) each, and many others: http://www.zweitausendeins.de , click on "Angebote", scroll down and click on "Jazz-Doppel-CDs".

Edited by J.A.W.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went by my local zweitausendeins on the way home yesterday, and they had ALL of the RVGs available, for €6.99 apiece. They're not listed on the website at the moment though (hopefully soon?), so this is pretty much for those who live near a brick-n-mortar store.

Yes, the local Zweitausendeins stores always have CDs that are not listed online. I only know their Munich shop, the jazz "department" is only a small corner in the room, but packed with incredible bargains. I´d say they have the lowest prices worldwide (and it includes 16% VAT). Many box sets are available for $5/CD.

Coltrane Compl. Prestige (16CD): 29.99

Monk Compl. Riverside (15CD): 24.99

Bill Evans Compl. Riverside (12CD): 19.99

Art Pepper Galaxy (16CD): 26.99

Wow, that's just insane!

They will probably be sold out in a few days. I wonder why Zweitausendeins is doing this, those Fantasy boxes were available for about $5/CD for the last couple of years, and to my knowledge Fantasy does not intend to put out new remastered versions.

Thanks for the heads-up, couw!!

I picked up the Rollins and Coltrane Prestige boxes this afternoon during a late-lunch run. It was already their last copy of the 'Trane box, though they said they may get some more in shortly.

I'm not sure how they can do it, either. Even though these are "older" boxes, I still ended up with 23 discs FULL of music, for €43, less than €2/per disc!

Gonna check out the Evans Fantasy & Riverside boxes next, probably.

I thought that ZYX pressings are OK, allthough discs (re)mastered by ZYX are the ones that should be avoided.

That said, I had a strange problem with one of the discs in my ZYX pressed Joe Henderson Milstone box. The track indexes were five seconds early on one of the discs, which also resulted in the last five seconds of the last track to be cut off. When I spoke with someone at Fantasy they said that they had never heard of anything like this before. They promptly sent me a replacement which was of course manufactured in the US.

BTW, regarding the aforementioned box set prices, I agree that they are indeed insane. This afternoon I ordered the Art Tatum Solo, Rollins, Bill Evans Riverside and Coltrane boxes, 43 CDs at just over 80 EUR including shipping! I wonder if I'll get anything at all. Right now their website is down. I wonder why...

Insane - but excellent ! :g Thanks for the heads up !

I've been looking for the excuse to pick up the Pepper, Evans and Monk sets. At that price it's a steal ..

I already have the Wes Montgomery and Coltrane Prestige sets. Sound quality is just fine - although they come in a different box arrangement compared with the US sets. Microscopic liner notes too but the music and mastering are indeed the same.

:rsmile:

Edited by sidewinder

Order by phone, your order is placed immediately and you know what's left. Email orders often get processed only a couple of days later.

Actually I phoned them this morning (I was a little worried, because I still hadn't got any confirmation almost one week after my online order - neither has any money been drawn from my VISA card, and several of the box sets are now sold out). They assured me that "they will come, they will come!" on my question about the status of my order, but still as of this evening: no confirmation email. What to make of that?

I placed my order on the website last sunday and received a confirmation email on tuesday. Only 2 of 29 items (2 OJC LPs) were not available. Of the supercheap box sets, I ordered the Monk, Evans/Riverside and Art Pepper.

Edited by Claude

I grabbed a Miles Davis set at Zweitausendeins' local shop in Munich yesterday. They still had a few left, and some Art Pepper sets.

Don't be too disappointed when you receive your sets. The packaging is very cheap, unlike the box sets made in the US. The outer box is of thin card board. The Miles set contains a booklet which seems to be a reproduction of the one that's in the US LP-size box, reduced to CD size. So the text is small and difficult to read.

But at this price one can't complain.

Most of the sets are back on the website (some were removed briefly) saying they are out of stock but will be available again in four weeks.

I never got a response about my order, so I e-mailed them and they replied that it was sent out and should be here in 2-3 weeks. So hopefully I'll get a big package soon!

Don't be too disappointed when you receive your sets. The packaging is very cheap, unlike the box sets made in the US. The outer box is of thin card board. The Miles set contains a booklet which seems to be a reproduction of the one that's in the US LP-size box, reduced to CD size. So the text is small and difficult to read.

same with the Sonny Rollins. No discography included, just a list of the tracks on each CD. The rest you've got to read out of the (good, american) liners and research yourself (which, though, is not too difficult)

Anyone know whether the two Evans, two Tatums, Coltrane and Pepper are a little better annotated?

ubu

Anyone know whether the two Evans, two Tatums, Coltrane and Pepper are a little better annotated?

Received Evans and Tatum today. I've still only looked at the Evans Riverside box, but the discographical info is nonexistent. Quite easy to find on the web, though.

Mysteriously, still no money has been drawn from my VISA card...

Mysteriously, still no money has been drawn from my VISA card...

Sounds promising. Maybe this bargain acquisition will be free !. :g

My package arrived today. The two Tatums, the Pepper, Monk and Bill Evans. Just listening to disk 5 of the Pepper at this moment - the 'Landscape' sessions. Wow - this one smokes ! :party: Pretty nice recording quality too.

Yes, the box arrangements and liner notes for all of the above are a bit skimpy. Very small print and the notes contain only an excerpt from the US booklets. Nevertheless, the discography for the sessions is in there and readable (assuming you have a magnifying glass :blink::wacko: )

For the money involved - no complaints ! :g

Edited by sidewinder

Well it is good to be amongst friends again and to get back to business once again where we left off at the BNBB.

I must say this is all very posh and modern!! What with all the controls and special features.

Anyway I was pleased also to see the sale mentioned and tried to secure for my family ( not me of course!) the delights available.

I have used them many times before and I have had no problems previously

They have been in fact very reliable and all I do is wait and order up a large box to save on postage :ph34r:

ALso picked up new expanded versions of the following which I am looking forward to

B000005HD0.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

. :bwallace:

Edited by andybleaden

• 2 weeks later...