Beyonce backed by Ellington

medjuck

I smiled out loud!

More & more it seems like the DJs are the ones doing what the musicians should be doing. No, not the mash-up per-se, but the compressing and defragging of the cultural hard drive to free up some space.

Besides, that's one of the most musical-in-the-traditional-sense mashups I've heard yet. Whoever did it is not just pitch conscious, they're finicky about it!

ref-touchdown.jpg

Edited by JSngry

Yeah, I know. Seriously.

But this, it's gonna stay so underground that only the people who need to "get it" will. Everybody else will either not get it at all or else add one more uncompressed file to their already clogged hard drive.

And from what I've seen of the Cotton Club dancers, Beyonce would have ruled that scene much as she does her scene today. So there's that going on too. Them what complains about cultural illiteracy, hey...this don't seem like that to me.

So far, no harm no foul, imo (I have faith in the long-term power of eternal rightness of Ellington). If/when there is, that ref will be making the appropriate call.

Edited by JSngry

This person is good!

the beatles- shes leaving home

vs.

nirvana- in bloom

http://fairtilizer.com/track/66670

i also like that nirvana/beatles mashup much more than the beyonce/ellington thing. the beyonce thing was kinda cute but for me more annoying than anything.

as far as nirvana mashups, my favorite is definitely this one - killer:

Rick Astley vs. Nirvana

you guys may have already seen it, but i just got shown it a little while back. it fits so perfectly it's kinda scary...

Edited by thedwork

This person is good!

the beatles- she’s leaving home

vs.

nirvana- in bloom

i also like that nirvana/beatles mashup much more than the beyonce/ellington thing. the beyonce thing was kinda cute but for me more annoying than anything.

Rick Astley vs. Nirvana

you guys may have already seen it, but i just got shown it a little while back. it fits so perfectly it's kinda scary...

Thanks for posting that; it was amazing.

This person is good!

the beatles- she’s leaving home

vs.

nirvana- in bloom

Rick Astley vs. Nirvana

Thanks for posting that; it was amazing.

Never thought i would ever in my life start headbanging listening to f....ing Rick Astley singing :excited:

Pretty pathetic to mention her in the same breath as Ellington not to mention that maybe someday people may think they performed together.

Prithee, sir, in what kind of a world would this happen in any quantity of which to cause concern outside the realm of the hyper-literal?

Besides, besides being a faboolus, no, ultrauber-faboolus, babe, Ms. Knowles does have some serious vocal skills. She ain't no lip-sink fixitinthemix producer's test tube baby, not even.

Don't know if it's great music-making, at least in the "traditional" sense, but it sure as hell shows a keen musical/historical thought-process. It's not about knowing everything, it's about having an instinct that knows right from wrong. If you have that and stay open as time goes by, the rest should take care of itself. To posit Beyonce's wonderous ass-shaking in the context of the Ellington Cotton Club vibe (where wondrous ass-shaking appears to have not been unheard of....) is not at all inappropriate. It's actually....pretty damn smart. Even if "Harlem Air Shaft" post-dates the Cotton Club era...not and totally besides the point.

Keep in mind that different people did the mashup & the video. Both are pretty sharp if you ask me.

If only more of the people "making" music in the "traditional" sense displayed this much sharpness!

Edited by JSngry