Beyonce backed by Ellington

medjuck

If you like the Ellington, most of it is from a great short called Bundle of Blues,(with different music) and which also features Ivie Anderson singing Story Weather. (The rest is from Black & Tan, Check and Double Check and a Pathe Newsreel (long version with no sound: http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=50945

short version with sound: http://www.britishpathe.com/results.php?search=duke+ellington )

Duke wouldn't have minded that at all. He had no taste.

I was at a concert he did in Adelaide, Australia, in about 1969. It was a lousy concert because the musicians were all worn out from all the traveling, but very exciting to meet all those legends. (Barry Ulanov used to call the inevitable medley "the usual bloody bore".)

During the second half of the show, Duke got a young girl out of the audience to dance some Gogo.

• 2 months later...

I was dancing to electro house in a club about 6 months ago when an electro track suddenly went into Peggy Lee with Benny Goodman (1942), singing "Why Don't You Do Right?". It was a very nice shock.

The mashup track is called "Why Don't You?", and it's by a Serbian dude called Gramophonedzie. I think it's superb, and the young 'uns love it. Nice to do a little Foxtrotting again. By the way, the BPM range (in the high 120s) is the same for both the Foxtrot and house. Give it a listen. It really works.

I'd like to add Fats Waller doing "Christopher Columbus" (1936) (just as it is, without remixing) to a house set. Once again, the BPM is the same, if you count it in 2/2. It would go down a treat.

There's a lot of scope for using old music for people who have never heard it before.

I was dancing to electro house in a club about 6 months ago when an electro track suddenly went into Peggy Lee with Benny Goodman (1942), singing "Why Don't You Do Right?". It was a very nice shock.

The mashup track is called "Why Don't You?", and it's by a Serbian dude called Gramophonedzie. I think it's superb, and the young 'uns love it. Nice to do a little Foxtrotting again. By the way, the BPM range (in the high 120s) is the same for both the Foxtrot and house. Give it a listen. It really works.

I'd like to add Fats Waller doing "Christopher Columbus" (1936) (just as it is, without remixing) to a house set. Once again, the BPM is the same, if you count it in 2/2. It would go down a treat.

There's a lot of scope for using old music for people who have never heard it before.

Here it is. Not bad. I'm intrigued by this mash-up stuff.

I'm intrigued by this mash-up stuff.

There is a Beatles mashup called "I Long To Hold Tall Sally" that puts Paul's vocal from "Long Tall Sally" over the backing track of "I Want To hold Your Hand" & then for the brdiges uses parts of "If I Fell". The bridges are a little dicey in spots, but the main body of the song is like a cold, hard slap in the face as far as getting inside decades' worth of mental & musical conditioning & just blowing it all to hell. That's what I personally find most engaging about the whole mashup/remix/whatever/etc thing, at least when it works.

I'm a fan of comfort, but not of complacency. It's a fine line to walk sometimes, but...

I'm intrigued by this mash-up stuff.

I'm a fan of comfort, but not of complacency. It's a fine line to walk sometimes, but...

That's spot on. The line between bad and acceptable taste is a very thin one. Myself, I have to draw that line at Beyonce's bouncing butt. IMO, watching her and her gal pals shake their collective moneymakers is just too distracting (in a negative way) from everything else that's going on.

Don't really understand what you said in the first para. Her having a great voice is beyond the point: who said she didn't. The falsification of history should be a concern. For many it is not (e.g., Zelig). For me it is. For you it may not be.

I agree. Now there's a whole generation growing up believing that Jane Austen fought zombies and Abe Lincoln not only freed the slaves but thwarted a vampire invasion as well. At least that's what I read in a Texas textbook. Must be true.

Don't really understand what you said in the first para. Her having a great voice is beyond the point: who said she didn't. The falsification of history should be a concern. For many it is not (e.g., Zelig). For me it is. For you it may not be.

I agree. Now there's a whole generation growing up believing that Jane Austen fought zombies and Abe Lincoln not only freed the slaves but thwarted a vampire invasion as well. At least that's what I read in a Texas textbook. Must be true.

And who can forget what happened in Mayberry when Peaches came to town. (Video contains language that may be offensive along with nonnude sexual content. So hurry up, watch it!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXiFuU7X_Fo

• 8 years later...