A Yodel For The Bear Family label ...

kenny weir

Another great Bear Family set...

bcd15843.jpg

Ray Price & The Cherokee Cowboys, THE HONKY TONK YEARS 1950 - 1966

[Link to the Bear Family website]

If all you know is the Price of "Make The World Go Away" and "For The Good Times," this set should be a revelation. IMHO, Price is -- questions of genre aside -- one of the great male singers in American pop music history. Just check out what he's able to do with a near-novelty like "Bright Lights and Blonde-Haired Women"...

And check out what he can do with a truly heavy lyric, both aurally and visually: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6555121875635761110

That's one of the most disturbing music videos ever,,,

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sad to say, my financial situation precludes record purchases at present, including the above Allerton & Alton. Happily, I seem to have accumulated so much vintage, jazz, old-timey, bluegrass, western swing, Hawaiian and more in recent years that I've got plenty to be going on with.

The J Miller Cajun set and Bristol sessions set remain top of my list.

The Gonna Shake This Shack series also has plenty of titles I desire.

Melbourne's Hound Dog's Bop Shop has closed at Christmas so any purchases of these kind of sets will be online for me from now on.

Denys stocked so many BF titles - including surely the biggest selection of box sets in a retail operation outside the warehouse in Germany - I wonder if BF will doing anything in Australia to plug the gap in Australia.

Edited by kenny weir

A real, real beaut in every respect. Recommended!

While I still tend to believe you (see our earlier discussion of this series in this very topic), there are a few BEWARE's.

This past summer I bought the JIMMY SPELLMAN CD from that series (BCD 16528 AH) mainly because this is one artist where you are unlikely to have too much on previous hillbilly bop/rockabily compilations. So I bought it unheard and on the strength of it belonging to that series (and of course the dynamic cover photo also conjures up images of music with a "GO" ;)). But sorry to say, if the music on that CD is meant to REALLY "shake the shack" then this just is lame. Really ... A handful of uptempo, rocking tracks but all too many MOR C&W, pop, ballad, tearjerker, teen angst and other relatively subdued ditties (often marred by saccharine girl choruses which does not improve matters one bit in a series such as THIS) that really won't shake even a splinter of that proverbial shack. Fine for those who love those "country weepers" and teen ballads that were recorded and released aplenty in the 50s but beyond that ...? I dunno ...

So how am I to know there aren't more like this buried in this particular series BEYOND the "name" artists (i.e. with those artists that you would welcome as "discoveries" because they would not overlap to any significant degree with previous reissues and would therefore fill another gap)? Really, really sorry to say this about a thoughtful and meritorious reissue label such as B.F. but as far as "The Great Rocking Unknowns" seem to go, we really seem to be well past the "scraping the barrel" stage when it comes to rounding up previously unreissued or unheard-before UPTEMPO material that warrants a FULL CD by such an artist. :huh:

Edited by Big Beat Steve

A real, real beaut in every respect. Recommended!

While I still tend to believe you (see our earlier discussion of this series in this very topic), there are a few BEWARE's.

This past summer I bought the JIMMY SPELLMAN CD from that series (BCD 16528 AH) mainly because this is one artist where you are unlikely to have too much on previous hillbilly bop/rockabily compilations. So I bought it unheard and on the strength of it belonging to that series (and of course the dynamic cover photo also conjures up images of music with a "GO" ;)). But sorry to say, if the music on that CD is meant to REALLY "shake the shack" then this just is lame. Really ... A handful of uptempo, rocking tracks but all too many MOR C&W, pop, ballad, tearjerker, teen angst and other relatively subdued ditties (often marred by saccharine girl choruses which does not improve matters one bit in a series such as THIS) that really won't shake even a splinter of that proverbial shack. Fine for those who love those "country weepers" and teen ballads that were recorded and released aplenty in the 50s but beyond that ...? I dunno ...

So how am I to know there aren't more like this buried in this particular series BEYOND the "name" artists (i.e. with those artists that you would welcome as "discoveries" because they would not overlap to any significant degree with previous reissues and would therefore fill another gap)? Really, really sorry to say this about a thoughtful and meritorious reissue label such as B.F. but as far as "The Great Rocking Unknowns" seem to go, we really seem to be well past the "scraping the barrel" stage when it comes to rounding up previously unreissued or unheard-before UPTEMPO material that warrants a FULL CD by such an artist. :huh:

Steve the Shack series discs I have in my shopping basket at cdconnection are all well-established artists. I figure these discs are probably the best single outing for guys I don't need/want a box set on: Cowboy Copas, Hank Thompson, George Jones, Little Jimmie Dickens, Johnny Horton and so on.