Miles at IOW festival on DVD

Gary

just seen this posted on the jazzwise website

www.jazzwise.blogspot.com

Miles Davis' concert at the Isle of Wight Festival in 1970 is to be released on DVD. Up until now, only one truncated track from this performance - "Call It Anything" - has been made available as part of a compilation DVD/video featuring other artists from the festival. The rrp of the new DVD appears to be £15.99, and it's released on 16th June 2003.

posted by Grant at 2:30 PM

could be very interesting indeed! Anybody else heard anything about this release ?

Edited by Gary

I'm wondering what will be on this DVD.

According to several reports from this concert, Miles quit the stage after less than half an hour. The title "Call it anything" was released on a french CBS LP that was briefly available. The track is 17:30 long, but the Miles Ahead website says it is an "edited medley".

http://63.173.65.231/database/Disco.asp?id=IsleWight

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have it on an album that came out on Columbia in the 70's called "The First Great Rock Festivals of the Seventies - Isle of Wight/Atlanta Pop Festival".

"Call It Anythin' " does indeed clock in at 17:30.

It's a tri-fold album (3 records) and 2/3 of the inside is a "fish-eye" shot of Miles & the band from behind. You can see McLaughlin, Chick, Dave Holland, Miles, Airto (I think) and a drummer I can't make out (DeJohnette?).

• 4 weeks later...

In my mailbox today:

Dear Customer,

We are writing to you regarding your order for "Miles Davis - Live At

The Isle Of Wight".

We have contacted the studio in regard to your DVD. We have been

informed that this title has not yet been released, however the studio

now expects the title to be released in August 2004. Please note that

this date is subject to change at the discretion of the studio.

We will keep this title on order for you until it has been

released. We will dispatch your order without further delay following

the publication.

We trust that this information has been helpful, thank you for

shopping with Amazon.co.uk.

Amazon.co.uk

Customer Service

================

• 1 year later...

Gary - I picked this one up from my local HMV yesterday (it must be just in), titled 'Miles Electric - A different kind of blue'. Released on Eagle Vision.

The bottom line is, this is a fantastic DVD which will have electric Miles fans drooling. Runs for 123 minutes with 38 minutes of IoW performance and an hour or so of documentary with extensive interviewing of the band members (Holland, DeJohnette, Bartz, Airto etc) plus Miles sidemen of the period (Liebman, Mtume - heck even Pete Cosey is interviewed plus quite a few comments from contemporaries such as Carlos Santana and Joni Mitchell). The sound is absolutely terrific, in Dolby/surround sound.

Theres also a half hour or so of additional interview material which adds significant insight into Miles' ability to forge bands and get the best out of them. Ech musician does an ad-lib tribute to Miles. Particular highlight being Airto's (he covers the whole shebang of a Miles group performance).

The coverage of the IoW Festival music is just wonderful. Miles is in absolutely A1 form a la Bitches Brew period, hardly puts a foot wrong and very incisive. The band are full of good stuff, Jarrett in raptures, Dave Holland and DeJohnette putting down a great groove and Bartz interjecting to add the contrast to Miles.

Very much a jam through the Miles material of the time - called 'Call It Anythin' (love it ! :D ) but segues through 'Directions', 'Bitches Brew', 'Sanctuary' and a few other familiar themes into a pretty coherent whole. After 38 minutes Miles leaves the bandstand fairly abbruptly to let the sidemen wind it down. Then the reaction of the 600,000 audience kicks in.

In the supporting material there's also a little feature on Betty Mabry/Davis and her influence on Miles of the time. Including a shot of that infamous 'Nasty Gal' LP cover and a snippet from 'He Was A Big Freak' (way cool). Also a few dissenting opinions thrown in by Stanley Crouch (doesn't he like anything? ;) ).

Incredible stuff. Buy without hesitation !

Quick revision to your Xmas list is now in order.. :D Price at HMV is £17.99

Edited by sidewinder

I really enjoyed this but I have a couple of caveats and questions:

I like listening to it in 5.1 surround-- puts you in the middle of the band. But it doesn't always match the image: when the camera changes angles the sound doesn't, so you can be looking at someone in the center of the screen but the sound of their instrument may come from the side or even from behind you. I guess I could watch it in stereo; or listen in 5.1 with the tv off.

What's Keith Jarrett talking about when he says he played acoustic piano the first few months he was with Miles? According to Peter Losin he played electric organ on his very first date. Are there any examples of his playing acoustic piano with Miles?

I was impressed by the way the film used old clips until they showed some doctored footage of Willie the Lion Smith to represent New Orleans whore houses!

And finally: anyone know where one can obtain the complete clip of the 2nd quintet on the Steve Allen show?

I watched this a few nights ago and don't remember the Jarrett quote as you have it. I just recall him saying Chick was playing electric piano, so he was forced to play organ. "I don't know which I hated more" was the gist of it. In fact, Jarrett plays RMI electra-piano in the footage. And Corea doesn't play the expected Fender Rhodes, but actually plays Hohner Pianet. For those who care.

Highly recommended - the collection of interviews might even be better than the IOW performance. Wish they talked to a few more of the electric alumni, like McLaughlin, Shorter, Bennie Maupin, Billy Cobham, Lenny White, et al. Seems like there was some other kind of focus at one point because there's that interview with Marcus Miller that wasn't used at all in the main film, but is there in the bonus features.

Mike

This is a fantastic DVD! The concert is spectacular, in both the more energetic stuff and when they take it down a bit (like when Jarrett is playing some long chords/notes towards the end of the concert - absolutely beautiful). Great sound; beautiful, vivid colors.

The only bad thing about it is that it starts with Crouch's ugly face. :D I guess the intention was to 'just get it over with', let the ogre diss electric-Miles and then let it really get going... Also, did you notice that in the interviews, Jarrett was the only one who didn't play anything? Well, ok Dave Holland and Joni Mitchell didn't either, but Holland didn't have his bass with him, and Mitchell didn't play in Miles' bands. That motherfu... Jarrett probably asked for a full length concert Steinway in the studio, even though he didn't have any intention to play anything. Just so that he would look better. <_<

Even though they could've interviewed more people, like Maupin, it is nevertheless a job very well done. Now someone please release the Copenhagen 1969 concert /w Shorter on dvd!

Edited by Kari S

I think Jarrett's not playing might also have had something to do with the idea that he wasn't willing to "revisit" the electric period like the others did. Corea and Herbie played Rhodes (and we got a little ring modulator demo), Liebman recreated things too. I would have loved to see Jarrett back in front of a pair of electric keyboards just for a laugh. But it was not to be. (Besides, Jarrett did an entire album of Miles tribute - "Bye Bye Blackbird".)

Mike

If you can get past those "unlikeable" aspects that Jarrett has, you'd get to his piano playing which is quite likeable, IMO. This guy is an important pianist, regardless of his attitude or vocalizations. Miles had many unlikeable traits, but those traits definitely do not detract from his beautiful music. The same could be said about Jarrett, I think.

Edited by pryan

If you can get past those "unlikeable" aspects that Jarrett has, you'd get to his piano playing which is quite likeable, IMO. This guy is an important pianist, regardless of his attitude or vocalizations. Miles had many unlikeable traits, but those traits definitely do not detract from his beautiful music. The same could be said about Jarrett, I think.

I agree. Miles could be very harsh and hostile depending on his mood or the situation at hand. And I'm sure he was very aware of his super star status and had a more than confident attitude. I'm not a hard core Jarrett fan but he has done number of things that I enjoy. I liked some things he did with Dewey Redman and some of his trio works. As stated in the aforementioned, you have to get past the personal dislikes and focus on the music. I know some people who detest Michael Jordon. His incredible talents as a player was never in question but his personal behavior and attitude was more than many people could stomach. But still his personal behavior was independent of his play on the court. Same applies to musicians.

I picked up the Miles DVD at a sale at Towers two weeks ago. Haven't gotten around to watching it yet but I did see a few excerpts from it at the store. It seems as if there is some very historical and important video footage and interviews on it. Standby.......... :rolleyes::D

• 2 weeks later...

You gentlemen are (of course) correct. A fantastic DVD.

Some very interesting interviews ( Airto looks just as passionate now about the music as he did when he was in the band).

The actual IOW performance is essential for anyone who is a fan of Miles' electric period.

Edited by Gary

Have given the concert performance quite few airings. That first number of the set is funky beyond belief - they hit the high point from the outset. Just love Dave Holland's 'in the groove' electric bass playing on this one (and he looks like he's having a blast too..).

There's also some photos of Miles taken on the afternoon of the IoW concert in Richard Williams' 'Man In The Green Shirt' book. Beautiful weather by all accounts that day (for once the English weather held up.. ;) ).