record stores - toronto

samnat

Of the ones mentioned here:

http://www.blogto.com/toronto/the_best_used_cd_stores_in_toronto/

I've spent a lot of time in She said Boom on College and Around Again in Baldwin village. They're both small but good. IIRC Sonic Boom is big and has no vinyl but I've found some interesting things there. Soundscapes just a block or 2 west of She Said Boom on College is a very good new cd store.

Samnat, don't know much about vinyl or rock, but the best jazz CD selection in Toronto these days is at L'Atelier Grigorian, midtown. It's a great Classical store, with an excellent jazz department. Harmik Grigorian is the founder/owner, and he's usually there -- say hello!

L'Atelier Grigorian

www.grigorian.com

70 Yorkville Avenue

Toronto

(416) 922-6477

There's a big HMV store downtown (Yonge St, just north of Dundas) but there's not much there anymore. If John Valentyn is clerking while you're in the jazz department, he's a real Blues expert.

That blog link is a good start. As noted, nothing on a big scale anymore in Toronto, just independents.

Soundscapes is a big thumbs up

http://www.soundscapesmusic.com/

If you are on Queen Street try Kops. Small place, but has some good vinyl.

http://www.toronto.com/shopping/listing/202511

Vortex on Yonge

http://vortexrecords.ca/

As for Sam's and the signed Blue Notes and everything else, they were probably at this auction

http://www.blogto.com/city/2007/06/auction_day_at_sam_the_record_man/

As for Sam's and the signed Blue Notes and everything else, they were probably at this auction

http://www.blogto.com/city/2007/06/auction_day_at_sam_the_record_man/

Attending that auction and $600 netted me the entire set of wooden LP frames depicting the covers of the 1993 Savoy re-issue program.

Thanks for posting that - some half-way familiar things there (e.g. the country singer pic and Rush sign) and congrats with the framed Savoy pics. Last time I was in that store must have been circa 1993. Always worth a look, as was the place next door. Back then, Sams still had a viable vinyl section too.

I remember around the time of my last visit there was an article in the Globe & Mail on Wayne Shorter, then touring TO, and he was photographed scanning the racks in Sams !

Edited by sidewinder

The admiration for the Sam The Record Man jazz section is/was completely attributable to John Norris, who died last Sunday. (There's a topic elsewhere about him).

Norris was the manager and buyer who ran that department 40 years ago, and with his taste and knowledge and international connections MADE that section of the store.

For some years, with the heft of the whole Sam's operation behind it, Norris was able to search world-wide and bring things to jazz fans they'd never be able to find elsewhere. He brought in the whole world of jazz...

He later (with partner Bill Smith) started his own Jazz And Blues Record Centre, and continued to service fans with the best of jazz recordings.

The admiration for the Sam The Record Man jazz section is/was completely attributable to John Norris, who died last Sunday. (There's a topic elsewhere about him).

Norris was the manager and buyer who ran that department 40 years ago, and with his taste and knowledge and international connections MADE that section of the store.

For some years, with the heft of the whole Sam's operation behind it, Norris was able to search world-wide and bring things to jazz fans they'd never be able to find elsewhere. He brought in the whole world of jazz...

He later (with partner Bill Smith) started his own Jazz And Blues Record Centre, and continued to service fans with the best of jazz recordings.

I had no idea he just died. John Norris and Bill Smith deserve such praise for their work with Sackville, and Coda magazine. Now that I have delved into free/creative jazz over the past few years am I especially indebted to everything they did for the art.

I just found an obit for John here.

Edited by peterintoronto

In addition to those stores mentioned, I like Amoroso, just a little north of Queen a block or two west of Osgoode station (University). It's mostly a classical-music shop but the jazz section is extensive & I've had very good luck there. They are also very picky about the surface-quality of the CDs--I've rarely found a CD there with any scratches or fingerprints at all.

For brand new CDs I'd agree that L'Atelier Grigorian is now the only store in town with anything like a decent jazz section.

& an update to the article in the blog: Sonic Temple is no more (in fact I don't think it was still in existence when the article was posted). A darn shame--it didn't have a huge selection but the prices were good & it was 5 minutes' walk from my house.

• 4 years later...

Resurrecting this thread as it has become relevant to me (after a long period away from Toronto, I am back, presumably for good).

I've seen a small LP shop on Queen St. near Jones but I didn't go in. When I have a minute or ten, I will pop in and see if they have any jazz.

While I've pared down the collection a lot, if anyone has tips on the best place to sell (or trade) CDs or vinyl -- jazz and/or classical -- do let me know.

Vortex takes a wide variety of stuff, but absolutely no classical according to their website. :ph34r:

It looks like Amaroso takes classical, at least for trade.