organissimo - ALIVE & KICKIN' - new live CD/DVD

Jim Alfredson

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My copy of Alive & Kickin' plus the DVD just arrived in the mail! Thanks Jim, Joe, and Randy. :cool:

Randy's killin' it on the first cut!

Randy's killin it on the whole disc!

Awesome mix and sound for a live disc, great job all around.

All three of them are! So enjoyable, start to finish. The closing track, "Pumpkin Pie," is an amazingly beautiful performance.

I got my “alive & kickin’” CD in the mail last week and got a chance to play it last night. Excellent! When I opened the package I was expecting to see all new tunes like maybe “Shake Yo’ Thing” or whatever it is “Yo” gots that comes next after “Stomp Yo’ Feets” and “Clap Yo’Hands. Instead I was surprised (but not disappointed) to see eight of the nine tunes were ones that I already had on your three previous CDs. As I listened to the tracks I noticed how different they were from the original recordings. One of my ways of spending an enjoyable evening is to fix myself a Jim Beam and water, put on my headphones and play those three CDs one after the other. Over time every lick and every chop has become ingrained in my head. But hearing these new versions confirmed what I had noticed from your live performances, that those old tunes keep evolving and maturing. Even the three selections from your most recent CD “Groovadelphia” had a fresh take.

Although “Groovadelphia” was a very successful CD and did well on the charts, I hope that “alive & kickin’” does even better and that new audiences will come to discover and enjoy those old classics that your fans have known and loved all along. Kudos guys… well done!

I got my “alive & kickin’” CD in the mail last week and got a chance to play it last night. Excellent! When I opened the package I was expecting to see all new tunes like maybe “Shake Yo’ Thing” or whatever it is “Yo” gots that comes next after “Stomp Yo’ Feets” and “Clap Yo’Hands. Instead I was surprised (but not disappointed) to see eight of the nine tunes were ones that I already had on your three previous CDs. As I listened to the tracks I noticed how different they were from the original recordings. One of my ways of spending an enjoyable evening is to fix myself a Jim Beam and water, put on my headphones and play those three CDs one after the other. Over time every lick and every chop has become ingrained in my head. But hearing these new versions confirmed what I had noticed from your live performances, that those old tunes keep evolving and maturing. Even the three selections from your most recent CD “Groovadelphia” had a fresh take.

Although “Groovadelphia” was a very successful CD and did well on the charts, I hope that “alive & kickin’” does even better and that new audiences will come to discover and enjoy those old classics that your fans have known and loved all along. Kudos guys… well done!

Miles Davis believed that the best recordings were the ones where you wrote the music, played it in clubs and concerts for awhile, then after playing the tunes like wearing shoes until they're broken in, you go into the studio and record it. Too often music gets written and is recorded before it has a chance to really be learned and developed. My 2 favorite albums are our first one and this live one because the spontaneity is there. The tunes we recorded on Waiting For The Boogaloo Sisters was almost for me like playing live because we had played regularly at Founders and other places, and had developed the material. Decoder is still my best solo work on our albums.