BLINDFOLD TEST #4 - DISCUSSION

JSngry

Nate,

Listening again to number 13, CD 1, after reading your comments, I clearly hear that it isn't Lee Konitz, and wonder how I heard it that way in the first place! Curious things, ears. Looking forward to your take on CD 2 so I can revise further. :blink:

Funny you didn't hear "Ask Me Now" at all in the first tune on CD1, although you're probably right that it isn't. Listening again, I hear just what it is that made me proclaim it "Ask Me Now". It's the bit you hear at around seconds 10-13; 30-34; 1:10-1:16; 1:57-2:00. Not much, it's true, but I heard it as a fingerprint of "Ask Me Now." I don't hear the same thing at all once the horns come in, but the part as of around 3:27 also evokes "Ask Me Now" for me. It happens to me often enough that musicians disguise tunes until I don't recognize them, so I guess I just wasn't bothered that the evidence was fragmentary! I was probably assuming too much, but still, the bits whose timing I gave sound right out of "Ask Me Now" to me.

That tenor player sounds soooo familiar. The name Ricky Ford came to mind as I listened again.

Edited by Tom Storer

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got it today! My impressions of disc 1 follow (though I have only listened to most tracks one time:

1. a Monk tune (don't ask me the title). I thought this was gonna be a piano solo, a lengthy intro and-surprise- whoever this trumpet is has a nice tone. 3 stars

2. is this Bob Wills' piano player on steroids? Hey, that's almost good! ;)

3. Now this I like! This sounds like Dizzy Reece on trumpet, I don't have this but, again, I like it. 4 stars.

4. this is interesting-love the bari solo (but too short), guitar is too distorted for my taste-clarinet is nice touch- this one's ok in my book. 3 stars (bari & clarinet get 4)

5. "That's My Desire" by The Godfather Of Soul & his orchestra! Way cool and is that Bobby Byrd on tenor? Dynamite! 5 stars :tup

6. I just don't know my female vocalists. Lush arrangement, but this one didn't do much for me. 3 stars for musicianship

7. this I didn't like much at all - I couldn't say who it is (and don't need to know). 2 stars

8. "Secret Love" and it sounds a lot like Charlie Rouse to me (not sure). Whoever this is gets 4 stars and I'd like to hear more! :tup

9. Give me a break - sounds like it could be an Alan Lomax field recording. I guess I'm not in a "primitive" mood. 1 star

10. this solo has a sound and style from long ago. I'm not sure who this is, but it's cool! 3 1/2 stars

11. a 78 rpm from WWI era IMHO. Interesting choice, can't say I liked it much.

12. this ties in with #11, right? It has a military vibe, but it's not listenable, (to me that is). I'm just not into this at all.

13. this is more like it! the sax section makes me think this is Woody Herman. I'm not familiar with this live recording-but I liked it. 3 stars

14. "Almost Like Being In Love", is this Johnny Smith (with Quinichette?). Probably not since it's a lengthy track. 3 stars

15. This could be Hamp, that's my guess. Swinging vibe solo gets 3 stars.

to be continued...

Have listened to both discs a couple of times now, but not critically (which means in my office, while working, and at home with the kids screaming) so I'm not prepared just yet for any track-by-track comments. I did skim this thread so far, but was careful to avoid seeing any guesses to any specific tracks. I must say i'm surprised that a few people are "offended" (using Jim's term) by a few of the cuts here. Yeah, a few of the vocal numbers may not be "jazz" but they are "jazzy," and even a few of the other tracks with their European classical and African beats have jazz elements to them. I'm constantly surprised how narrow some folks' definition of jazz is - and I'm not just talking 'bout Hardbop. Still, we all just like what we like and there's no getting around that now is there?

My tastes are pretty broad and I'm actually finding the music on these discs more accessible than I would have thought - I was expecting stuff a bit more daring and out there coming from Jim. Nothing's made my ears bleed yet and my toes have been tapping quite a bit.

I'm enjoying these discs tremendously - Jazz or not, it' a great mix CD...

My tastes are pretty broad and I'm actually finding the music on these discs more accessible than I would have thought - I was expecting stuff a bit more daring and out there coming from Jim. Nothing's made my ears bleed yet and my toes have been tapping quite a bit.

Well hey! Thank you, Ray, for the compliment AND the help.

The really ear-bleeding stuff that I still like (and changing tastes as one matures/ages/whatever is a topic unto itself) tends to be in the 15-20-minute-and-beyond range in duration, so why take up that much space on an 80 minute CDR for something that you KNOW is going to be poorly recieved by a majority of recipients?

And now, back to those comments. Y'all keep'em coming! :tup

Got my discs today and I'm spinning disc one as I type this. Thanks Jim and Brad Lewin, my New Jersey mailing hub sender!

It's been hard to avoid looking at the previous posts--so without further ado, I'm going to jump in and start posting my impressions.

1) Sounds like a Monk tune. Cross between a Monk tune and Bill Evans' chord voicings. If Monk, I don't know which tune, but it's definitely not played by Monk! Sounds live. Whoa! There's a whole band here. Interesting--when the band kicks in, it sounds like a different recording. The "sound" is reminiscent of Eastern Rebellion, and some Chuck Mangione-esque Tenor/Fluegelhorn octave voicing. I like the sax solo--the player's tone sounds familiar, but I can't place it. Wait...could it be Booker Ervin? If it's not, the player listened to Structurally Sound a lot (I know this tune is NOT off Structurally sound). If the trumpet player played a fluegel in the opening, I think he's back to trumpet at the solo. Mmmm, maybe not? Trumpet solo just kind of fades away without a resolution, makes me think this really is a live recording. I'm not super wild about the performance--it's "nice."

2) Old dirty vinyl, or a tape of some! I love it! Sounds like a straight version of Unsquare Dance played by Scott Joplin! I have no idea what that was, but it's pretty hip.

3) Good ensemble work. Could almost be the opening to an early '70's t.v. show--I mean that in a good way! Tenor alto doubling--nice. Sounds like Freddie Hubbard on the trumpet, but I'm usually wrong about this, so it's probably not. This could be a boot of something. Nice blues base to this song. I hear the altoist walking over to the mike--his entrance must have caught him off guard! I dig the turnaround, but the alto player appears to be struggling with the contraint of a key signature! I like this much better than the first song--similar ensembles, different response for me. The piano player is excellent.

4) Mongo's band? Quincy's band? Ray's band? Whoever it is, it's got that great sixties swing/jazz combo going. Electric bass. This is some greasy shit--down home dirty blues played by 10-15 people at once. I love it! Who's wailing on clarinet? WHO'S wailing on TRUMPET! A super-young John Faddis? Dig it! :bwallace: I LOVE THIS TRACK!

5) Get down. Where's my wife? I wanna dance. I love it when J.B. sings ballads. Could the theme be tight ensemble work?

6) Taking a "cue" (ha ha) from the "strings with jazz" thread? I'm pretty sure this is R.C. It's hard to mistake Nelson Riddle's arrangements.

7) Set me free! Clarinet/piano. Could be Mozart, could be...Ornette if he played the clarinet??? :blink: I'm having trouble getting into this one. But I've never been much of a free freak. No idea who this is, and I think we'll find out it's an alto soloist, NOT a clarinet. But he/she sure has a mellow tone!

8) I started thinking this was Jack McDuff on a Prestige side, but then the Fender bass kicked in. Blech! Good sax player, but the bass sound doesn't fit in at all in my opinion. A little loungey for my taste. The sax player would do well playing with the Three Sounds!

9) Olu Dara? It's world music hour! Damn, I dig the beat here. Who the hell is this? Taj Mahal without piano? My reading of the theme is now, "music I'm sure you've never heard before!" Well, not quite, with number 5 above. I love this track. Nice use of the voice as an instrument. Robin Williams? Ha ha ha.

10) I don't think this is off of any of Bu's solo drum records (although it almost sounds like a track from the Columbia one). Maybe that's what it is? I'm not a huge solo drum fan (but I do love drum solos). The constant bass kick sounds like Blakey, but the snare does not...a boot of Blakey getting world on us?

11) I was wondering when we'd get a 78 on one of the Blindfold tests! World War I. I have no idea who this is, but the voice sounds very familiar.

12) AAAgh, turn it off! I'm trying, but I can't get into this one--probably for the same reason I didn't like the piano-clarinet/alto track. Could be a Shepp or Saunders excursion; but I"ve got to fast forward!

13) Swing time. More good ensemble work. I don't know the song, although it sounds familiar.

14) Cecil Taylor, Ponciana. Just kidding. Only re the first three notes! This sounds like Stan Getz to me, but I don't know what album it's from, or who he's playing with.

15) This is definitely NOT Bobby Hutcherson! Could be Hamp; oddly, the sound is "small," but the quality is very good--particularly for the "period" the piece sounds like it is (ragtime). Wait a second. There's an electric bass in there. Got me! Sending us off with a little jitterbug, Jim--nice touch (and good vibe solo!).

PHEW! I'm exhausted--that seems to be the one thing all of these tests have in common. I can't wait to read everyone's thoughts. I'll post thoughts on disc 2 soon--for now, I think I just have to go get dinner! Thanks for putting this together, Jim!

Just got mine today and I'm giving it the first spin. No comments yet, although the first track of the second CD just woke up the cat and got her howling. (This is good! Although she likes jazz, the wilder the better, she normally only sings to Hank Williams or Bob Wills!) First impressions: this is one damned entertaining set! (That and I want whatever track 7 of the first disc is!) More later...

Just got mine today and I'm giving it the first spin. No comments yet, although the first track of the second CD just woke up the cat and got her howling. (This is good! Although she likes jazz, the wilder the better, she normally only sings to Hank Williams or Bob Wills!) First impressions: this is one damned entertaining set! (That and I want whatever track 7 of the first disc is!) More later...

I agree, it's one entertaining set! :tup

Moose,

You got one crazy cat! My two year old went to sleep last night listening to disc 2. He really liked that first track and the flanged sax. :lol:

I received the discs tonight. First impression: this mix rocks! Thanks a lot for taking the time to put this together, Jim. I'm still getting through disc one and, based on what I have heard so far, am really looking forward to disc two. I am clueless as to who most of these performers are but I have my hunches...

So, without further ado...

1) Really dug the solo piano! I was very surprised by the transition to the full band section and thought it was a mis-tracked second song at first. No clue who this is but I feel like I should...

2) No clue, no chance in hell of guessing this one, even with your clue. Fun tune.

3) Pete Johnson nailed the '70's TV theme vibe. No clue.

4)No clue. I really dug this track.

5) easy one to name. At first I thought it was an imitator as I'm not familiar with the tune but no one else does it like the Godfather.

6) Blah. Not my cup of tea at all. No idea who this is and I am ok with that.

7) Thought this was Giuffre at first but this has got to be Lacy on soprano.

8) No clue...the presence of the Fender Bass is throwing me off.

9) http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&u...l=Aox63mpej9f2oright? Very fun tune. I've really been digging Red Warrior recently and need to check out more of his work.

10) If this is the new Baby Dodds reissue I need to place an order w/Atavistic soon. This track rocks!

11) No chance I'll guess this one, but very nice transition to:

12) the AEC? Not sure which track this is but is sure sounds like them.

13) no clue...I need to listen to this one again.

14) I know I oknow this one, I just can't place it now...

15) no clue.

I really enjoyed this disc, even the tracks I didn't really dig, dig? Looking forward to disc 2 tomorrow!

Here goes. Can't wait to finally read this thread.

Disc One

Track 1. Lovely Piano introduction. The composition has some monkish qualities to it, but it's not a monk tune. From the sound of the recording, i'd place it in the early 70s, but that just may be the vinyl talking to me. The Tenor sounds familiar to me, but I can't put a finger on it. He sounds like a dash of Billy Harper, a little bit of Book, probably a Texas guy. Really digging this track, Jim. Hmmm. some of the comping sounds like Horace. Nice Trumpet solo, too. The Trumpeter gets a lot of ideas in there without being overly aggressive. Piano solo: Really sounding like Horace Silver. Haven't heard much of Silvers' '70s work, but I'm guessing that this is his group.

Track 2. Fun track. Not a clue, here.At a total loss for guesses, but i liked it! Great groove.

Track 3. Outstanding intro and head. Very cool. Interesting Alto solo. I was reminded of Wayne a few times. Not sure who it is, though.Are there 4 horns here? I'd buy this record. Was the fade on the record, or did you do it?

Track 4. This track has the same feel as a tune on Ellington's Far East Suite. Don't remember the name right now. Has a similar rock rhythm to it. Hmmm. Bari solo first. Not Mulligan. Oohh. Electric Guitar solo!?! Couldn't tell you any of the soloists upon first listen. This was alright. Not something I'd buy, but kind of fun.

Track 5. Another big group. Ahhhh. JB! Definitely some of his lesser known work. I know he recorded a bit of this type of thing. I dig it!

Probably

Track 6. Nice transition. Beautiful Voice. I need to brush up on my vocalists. She sounds familiar. Beautiful song.

Track 7. I like this Tenor's tone. Dave Burrell on piano? Ah! Monk tune! One of his later comps. Little Rootie Tootie? Maybe, maybe not, but I do know the tune. Cool.

Track 8. Loving all the Sax players, Jim. Nice Organ trio. Can't pick out the players, but i like it! Ah. There is a bass player! Nice Quartet, then. :)

Track 9. Oh Lord! Hickey-Burrr. Heh heh. Not a clue, but most interesting. Hah!

Track 10. I'll bet this is from those Baby Dodds sides y'all been raving about. Aw yeah!

Track 11. I don't know. Some WW1 tune? No mans land, eh? Kind of giving me the chills. Wow.

Track 12. I can see the connection between this and the last track. Both have military elements. Now we're getting outside! Don't think its AEC, but some elements remind me of them. I think both track 11 and 12 try to capture warfare. Straight ending. That was cool.

Track 13. Back to some swinging. First tenor sounds like an older guy. Got some Don Byas in him, maybe? econd tenor a little more modern. Is this a JATP thing? Nice.

Track 14. Mellow. Very airy sound on the Tenor. So many saxes! Dry like Desmond. I'll be curious to find out who this is. very cool.

Track 15. Now those are some jumpin vibes! Terry Gibbs? Fun stuff.

Disc Two

Track 1. Is that a Varitone? Whatever it is, there is some funky phasing effect on the sax. Nice electric piano. I don't think this is Eddie Harris, but I know he did use the Varitone. Is that Jack on the drums? I really like this.

Track 2. That's gotta be Kahil on drums. Could this be that Ethnic Heritage Ensemble record with Shepp? I really dig anything with Kahil on it. 10 stars.

Track 3. Marvin. Never be another like him. Maybe his heaviest record. So sad. So powerful. Breaks your heart.

Track 4. Not sure. I'm trying to thing of a bassist who would record something like this. Sounds like a pop tune cover. It's aaight. Digging the groove more as the tune goes on.

Track 5. Dixieland-ish. A bit more modern. I'm enjoying it, but it's an area of Jazz that I don't know much about.

Track 6. Quite an arrangement! Not really sure, but I like it. Really like the Sax solo.

Track 7. Is this Braxton? I don't quite connect with it, but I know it's rewards are worth the work. I just haven't made it there yet. I need to listen to more of this kind of thing. Gonna spin this one again when I'm done.

Track 8. I don't know this, but I should. Very swinging. Gonna take a wild guess. Ben Webster? Probably not.

Track 9. I'm starting to have a hard time sorting out all the sax players in my head! Must be getting tired. :) Not a clue.

Track 10. I should know this, but I don't. Wow. I'm floored. This is GREAT.

Track 11. Awww yeah. Henry. I caught this group live and they were just amazing. Nice way to close the test.

This has been my favorite BF to date! Thanks so much Jim. I wasn't pissed off by any of the choices, so you're gonna just have to work harder next time. :)

Just got my discs this afternoon (thanks JS, and thanks RDK). Intitial impressions time (I’ll try to actually say something intelligent in my NEXT post. ;) ).

DISC #1

1. Okay, I haven’t even heard all of this track yet, and I can state unequivocally, getting these CD’s in the mail for free was DEFINITELY worth it! ;) In fact, I was thinking that before I even heard the complete piano intro! It’s all icing from here on out! I dug this track a whole lot. The piano intro put me in the mind of Strayhorn (I was reminded a bit of “A Flower Is A Lovesome Thing”) and Ellington (the piano style itself- this player surely listened to some EKE piano playing). Beautiful chord sequences, beautiful piano sound. What IS this? I’m going to need to spend some cash, I know that, and I’m only on @#$%ing track ONE! Thanks a lot, Sangrey (I’ll refrain from calling you a bastard)! When the horns and rhythm section came in, I was put more in the mind (sort of) of a “young lions” kind of sound. 1990’s, perhaps? Could be a bit older, but then again, it could be 21st century (in other words, I’m not sure yet). The tenor solo is tasty and cohesive. Chopsville. I think I hear some Wayne Shorter influence. The trumpet player knows what he’s doing too. If these guys are young lions, I should go out and buy more young lion recordings. A child of 5 could figure that one out. Too bad it’s been so long since I was 5. But anyway, I’m still knocked out by this track. The piano player is reminding me of Horace Silver now... WHAT THE HELL IS THIS? Screw track 2, I’m going to listen to this again (I’m on my 4th spin now). It also occurs to me that this little ditty has me movin’, groovin, tappin and snappin, AND marveling at the intricacy of the writing (and the occasional movement into more adventurous harmony). The drummer knows what he’s doing too (why am I not surprised). Damn, I can’t follow what he’s doing too well right now... my wife is on the opposite side of the wall chopping some @#$%ing nuts! The more I listen to this, the more I get a general sort of Jazz Messengers vibe. More the late Blakey version, I guess (although the drummer doesn’t remind me of Art). Maybe it’s the overall group sound and the writing on this. Well, I better move on for now, it’s gettin’ dark out.

2. Wow... ? I'll have to come back to this one...

3. Hmmm... I may be less inclined to want to open my wallet for this, but I do like it. I’m only moderately educated when it comes to Mingus, but that’s what this reminds me of (not a guess, and not necessarily “strongly” reminding me of any particular Mingus recording, just a general feel I’m picking up). The intro made me think I wasn’t going to be able to really dig in, but it started grooving. Great ensemble sound- and I DO mean great. These guys (whoever they are) are first-rate players with real skill at blending their instruments in every way- timing, volume, pitch, everything. They either rehearsed their asses off for this, or they’ve played together for a significant amount of time.

4. This is a Sly Stone tune. I know- I had the album. The trouble is, that was about (insert ridiculously exaggerated number here) years ago (I would have been in junior high school). I don’t remember the name of this, which is pretty pathetic, but wtf... I’m old. This was one of Sly’s better tunes, I thought. Right out of the blues. I could see somebody like Albert Collins (and I did) playing this in a club... wandering through the audience with his 100 foot guitar cord... going out the door and playing for the folks out on the street.... “Sex Machine”? Just a guess. I could easily look this up, but I’d rather admit that my brain is shriveling up. ;) Anyway, WHO is this...

5. “That’s My Desire”. This is tasty. Great sound, great delivery. I don’t recognize the voice, but I’m no fountain of knowledge when it comes to soul singers. I don't think this is a BIG name singer, but I could be wrong (and I'll cover my ass by saying that "BIG" is a subjective term :rolleyes: ).

6. Very lovely. I like it. At certain moments, this is reminding me of Rosemary Clooney, but I want to doubt myself on that for some reason. It’s not sounding like her entirely, but at times it’s really sounding like her. Great arrangement, and I’m a sucker for a great piece like this with strings.

7. Cool. “Little Rootie Tootie”. This is the kind of stuff that I’ve only been exposed to on a very limited scale, and I know this style will never become a favorite style for me, but I’m WAY more open to this than I was just a few years ago. Oh great, now my son is in the kitchen helping my wife. He’s hammering a bag full of hard mint candy into little bits, for some recipe. If I screw this test up, it’s not because I’m not a blindfold test genius- it’s because of what’s going on IN THE KITCHEN!! I don’t know who is playing on this. Thought I recognized the saxophonist for a brief moment there (sounded a little like George Adams), but I’d be looking for a prayer to be answered if I even took a real guess.

8. “(Once I Had A) Secret Love”. This is a RARE early recording of Doris Day on tenor (oh, come on, we’re supposed to have FUN with this shit). Love the quotes in the head. Nice “gruff” sound from the tenor. Chops to burn. This is about as good as it gets. Now if only I knew who it was. Gotta be a vet. GOT to be. That relaxed intensity, that sense of humor, that sense of command... this is somebody I (should) know... I’ll have to spin this again. Sorry to ignore the organist, bassist and drummer, but if I’m going to figure this out, it’s gonna have to be through ID’ing the tenor player.

9. The quality/sound of the singing reminds me of Clark Terry (that’s a starting point only, because it ain’t CT). I may have never heard this guy before, come to think of it. It’s interesting, but the song is too “primitive” sounding and a little to “out there” to keep me tuned in for long. Oh well.

10. C-l-u-e-l-e-s-s. Well executed for sure, but I’m not keen on percussion features, and I’m not even all that curious about who this is. Not much more I can say, except that it just ain’t up my alley.

11. I’ll bet this was really “the shit” back when it came out. Good thing, because it’s just plain “shit” now. ;) No, no, I have a respect for history. I don’t ever want to hear this again, but I wouldn’t have wanted to miss out on it completely.

12. This is beyond my scope of understanding. I don’t hate it. I don’t enjoy it either, but it’s intriguing in a way. I wonder about the vocalizations, and whether there’s something more than a purely creative “musical” thing going on here... A protest? There’s SOME kind of message going on here, but I’m just not latching on to it (yet). “Get in line”... that leaves the door open for interpretation, at least to me... This waltz ending is intriguing, too... sounds like something an adventurous jazz player would play for his child at bedtime (seriously).

13. This is also outside my area of knowledge, to some degree. I’ve never been much of a big band person, at least in relative terms. I have enjoyed big bands in small doses over the years, but haven’t really educated myself about who’s who and what’s what. This strikes me as perhaps 50’s- or 60’s-ish in feel, although it could be more recently recorded. Woody Herman Band? Zoot on tenor? The alto solo is very boppish (and VERY impressive), which surprised me a little bit. Another nice arrangement. The sound quality and crowd reaction at the end would seem to suggest 50’s or possibly 60’s...

14. What a disc this has been... what a rare mood I’m in... why it’s... “Almost Like Being In Love”. Very cool feel, and very nicely done. I’d guess early to mid-50’s on this. I love the overall warm ambience of this recording. These BF tests are making me more aware of the differences in different studios’ sounds. Great rhythm section! Talk about chemistry- this thing just gliiiiiides along. It just occurs to me- I’ve never heard this before. When the guitar solo started, I knew that immediately. I don’t know who this guitarist is... Billy Bauer was happening at that time, but I haven’t heard a lot of his work. It’s a little bit bluesier than I would have expected from Bauer... which makes me wonder if it could be, say, Skeeter Best, or one of those cats. The tenor player reminds me somewhat of Getz, but I’m not ready to commit to anything... not even close...

15. “Fine And Dandy” (well, at least I know some songs!). Hmmm, is this Hamp? Nice chops, whoever it is. Rhythmically happening solo. The recording doesn’t sound like it dates back to the swing era, so I wonder if this could be some younger musicians (?). The pianist is economical and tasty... and has a certain Teddy Wilson-ish elegance (hmm, I’m not sure the feel on the trading of fours near the end would support that choice, though...). Well, I want to post this and get to disc 2.

Good stuff, Jim/James/Jimmy/Jimbo/Jimmer!! :)

Edited by Jim R

Disc 2

1. This is another one outside my scope of knowledge/interest. Can’t say I go for the style, but again I don’t hate it. Don’t care much for the electronically altered saxophone. The opening didn’t do much for me, but the electric piano solo was kind of invigorating (the fluctuating tempo was kind of cool, and the drummer has a nice bag o’ tricks). I sort of automatically (and narrow-mindedly) think of Chick Corea when I hear this type of stuff... maybe Herbie Hancock too, but this reminded me more of Chick. The drummer is good. At first I thought this was “Nature Boy”, but I changed my mind.

2. I’m kind of torn on this one. Definitely not like anything in my collection, and I wouldn’t buy it, but I have to admit that it’s attractive in some ways. I may not lean toward this type of jazz, but I do appreciate the talent involved in creating something like this. Nice interplay between the trombone (or is that some other horn?) and sax. It’s refreshing to hear something without a chordal instrument being involved. I was going to say the percussion was getting a little monotonous, and then the “Ornette... Coleman” chant began... ah... they didn’t drag that out too long. Good. Okay, it’s over now. I didn’t dig the monotony of the percussion, but I’m sure it was intended that way, so that’s not a knock on the players. The head wasn’t particularly attractive, and the solos were just okay, so I’d have to give it a thumbs down overall.

3. Nice singing, and attractive voices at that. I don’t care for the backing too much (synths give me the creeps, and I don’t really like the guitar/bass/drums at all... or the recording quality). Kind of a “smooth” commercial sounding vibe about the whole thing, to my ears. Of course, I remember digging a lot of this sort of thing back in the 70’s, but I think in terms of musicianship and production quality, it was done much better. The tune doesn’t really grab me either. Still, very good singing, which redeems the whole thing to some degree for me.

4. I’ve never heard any of the tracks on this disc so far, and this is no exception. It has a familiar sort of sound overall, though. This one kind of reminds me a bit of that group called “Stuff”, with Richard Tee, Steve Gadd... who else was in that Eric Gale? Cornell Dupree? It’s been a long time, I don’t remember. This has a nice laid back vibe about it, which I do like. I like the composition and the arrangement, and the horns sound particularly sweet with their legato support to the melody. This is great late night music for kicking back, or taking a drive on a warm night with all the windows down ...

5. I don’t care much for this in general, but I’ve got to admit that some of the solos are pretty impressive in their execution. Still, this kind of tune always gives me the feeling like everybody is kind of sleepwalking, just going through the motions, thinking about what the next tune is going to be. That’s probably unfair to the musicians and what they each bring to the table, but it’s the style itself that seems to give me that sensation so much of the time.

6. This is a bit of a stumper. It sounded at first like an early post-bop ensemble, progressive jazz circa 1950. As the track went on, the sound felt more modern to my ears. The rhythm section in particular sounds like it was recorded much later. The composition is not familiar to me, but I don’t have much knowledge of a lot of the more adventurous composers in this style. This was quite an enjoyable listen, and I could see myself exploring this material further.

7. This piece (the composition) sounds way too “busy” for my taste. Complex, yes, and well-executed, but it sounds like it was written more for the sake of being complex and weird than being musical. Just my take, and that’s just how I feel right now. Tomorrow’s another day, so who knows. No doubt these are very skilled musicians, but for me the whole thing got off on the wrong foot and never really recovered. It’s probably preferable to hearing some mediocre rendition of “Now’s The Time”, but it’s so far out at the opposite end of the spectrum that I doubt I’ll feel a desire to go there again anytime soon.

8. Hmmm... I’ve already admitted my ignorance re big bands, and this one goes way back in time. I dig Basie (and Ellington, and most any big band) more in the post-WWII era than the prewar stuff, so I’m embarassed to say I’m not even sure I could recognize a classic Basie recording featuring Lester Young from the prewar era. That would be my best guess on this.

9. My initial reaction is to say Sonny Rollins, doing a Charlie Parker line... which I can’t name right now. Live in Europe...? I’m not sure this is Sonny, which is frustrating me. This strikes me more as somebody heavily influenced by Newk than Newk himself. There are moments when it sounds like him for sure, but I don’t hear quite the usual range of expression and sense of adventure that comes with a Rollins performance. I should be able to come up with a name or two as an alternative guess, but I’ll have to sleep on it, I guess...

10. I don’t recognize the singer. I like the sound/backup band better on this (much better than #3). Very soulful and bluesy. Some of these guys have spent some significant time playing straight ahead blues, I’d bet. Kind of short and sweet, but they get their point across nicely.

11. I really like the rhythmic patters that open this, but it almost goes on a bit too long before the horns come in. Man, there’s a lot going on here. Complex, funky... there’s a Carribean flavor to this, yes? I don’t know my Caribbean styles too well, I must say. This kind of reminds me of “Don’t Stop The Carnival”. I like the energy, the solos are very good (is that a muted trombone, or a french horn, or...?). I think I’m hearing tuba(s), as well... I like that as a way to fill out the bottom and add some different color to the arrangement. The Dirty Dozen Brass Band kind of comes to mind in that respect (which is probably getting a little off track). Anyway, overall this is fun, but maybe a tad monotonous rhythmically and melodically. Very good musicianship, though. I think I could warm up to this with more exposure...

Ouch. I struggled with this, as expected. I must say, though, I enjoyed these two discs a lot more than I actually (honestly) expected I would. If variety is the spice of life, then Jim has certainly spiced up my life (or at least this week ;)) with this music!

Now I’m going to go read everybody else’s comments and see if I’m anywhere near the proverbial ballpark on any of these...

on to disc #2:

1) this really sounds like Herbie Hancock to me, but I don't think it is. I really like this track

2) I had a hunch you would put some of his work on this mix. Not sure if this is the Ritual Trio or Ethnic Heritage Ensemble, off the top of my head. Based on the "sparse" sound I'll guess the RT. I need to get more Khalil in my collection. Great stuff!

3) Marvin. Another hunch I had based on you raving about this album a while back. Can't remember if it was on this board or not. I've never heard much Marvin beyond What's Goin' On and Let's Get It On, so I'm glad you included this.

4) No clue. I kept swinging back and forth between disliking this track as too smooth and digging its laid back vibe.

5) I agree that this sounds like a more modern take on a Dixieland tune. No clue who this is.

6) I thought this was a live Sonny Rollins boot at first, no clue who this is.

7) I'm thinking Braxton, too, but I've never heard any of his big band work. I like this...I'll need to check out whatever album this is from.

8) This sounds like Lester to me, which leads me to Basie, but I really can't be sure. I've never explored this period very thoroughly.

9) Sonny Rollins...nice track, not sure what disc this is from.

10) I feel like I should know this one but nothing is coming to mind.

11) Threadgill? Something off of Too Much Sugar for a Dime? Great song, I really enjoy his writing and arranging.

more to follow...

Edited by John B

4. This is a Sly Stone tune. I know- I had the album. The trouble is, that was about (insert ridiculously exaggerated number here) years ago (I would have been in junior high school). I don’t remember the name of this, which is pretty pathetic, but wtf... I’m old. This was one of Sly’s better tunes, I thought. Right out of the blues. I could see somebody like Albert Collins (and I did) playing this in a club... wandering through the audience with his 100 foot guitar cord... going out the door and playing for the folks out on the street.... “Sex Machine”? Just a guess. I could easily look this up, but I’d rather admit that my brain is shriveling up. ;) Anyway, WHO is this...

I hadn't picked up on this being a Sly Stone tune but, if it is, this has to be from George Howard's BN cover album of There's a Riot Goin' On. I remember Jim recommending this disc back when it went OOP. I'll need to pull out my copy of the Sly album tonight to compare the tunes.

Got the discs some hours ago and started listening to disc 2 while doing some other stuff. I like the diversity of the material compiled (guess the same will be true for disc 1). I'll come back and edit this post whenever something comes to mind (this isn't against the rules, is it?).

Disc 2

1. Ned Rothenberg is the only saxophone player I know with a similar sound. I don't think it's him. No idea.

2. No clue. Percussionists Arto Tuncboyaciyan and Leon Parker come to mind. The saxophonist sounds like Wolfgang Puschnig

3. I hardly ever listen to music with singers, no clue. Sounds like it was recorded in the mid seventies. Is David Sanborn involved? I'm not going to buy this record.

4. Definitely Steve Swallow on electric bass, most likely Carla Bley on organ, piano and probably Hiram Bullock on guitar, the horns could be anyone. Very nice tune. Swallow's tone is great. edit (12/9): AMG

5. No clue who this could be.

6. No idea. Great track.

7. No clue, Braxton, Rivers? It leaves me cold.

8. Count Basie Orchestra with Lester Young.

9. "Dexterity", no clue who the musicians are. Very cool bass solo.

10. ?

11. Nice song, I like the groove at the beginning/end. Don't know who it could be.

Disc 1

1. Ask Me Now. Kirk Lightsey on piano? Probably not. I like this one and will add it on my "things to get" list. I don't like the muddy sound of the bass. edit: another guess on the pianist - Joey Calderazzo. edit (12/11): the tune is "Ruby, My Dear"

2. No idea. The voice at the very end sounds like Fats Waller but it's definitely not Fats Waller.

3. The intro of this piece was very promising. I really liked it until 0:55, good tune. No idea who is playing.

4. Hm, dumb guess: Henry Mancini&Orchestra? This song reminded me that I don't like fuzz tone guitar solos.

5. James Brown? Never heard him in a context like this (in case it's James Brown).

6. No idea who could make such sweet string arrangements.

7. I'm familiar with the deconstructed theme that's used here but I can't name it. This track leaves me cold.

8. Hm hm, Jerry Jemmott on el-bass?

9. ?

10. ?

11. ?

12. Art Ensemble Of Chicago. I like it, puts me in a nice mood. Towards the end this piece reminds me of going home drunk early in the morning.

13. No idea.

14. Must be Stan Getz. Jim Rainey guitar, Bill Crow bass? Hell, I don't know.

15. ?

This blindfold test will result in 3-4 purchases (disc 1, # 1, 3, 12/if I don't have it already; disc 2 #9).

Edited by rockefeller center

This is a very eclectic disc to be sure and thank Jim for taking the time to pick out some great stuff. A couple I didn't care for but most of the others I liked quite a lot.

1. This song surprised me. It started out as a piano solo and then after awhile the rest of the band joined it. Nice front line. Don't know who's playing trumpet.

2. I cracked up when I heard this. This must have been recorded at a joint by somebody with a portable recorder (maybe Jim?). This isn't almost good, it's good :tup

3. No idea but nice orchestration.

4. Something makes me say Mingus here, especially the baritone, which must be Pepper Adams.

5. No idea but great voice and nice arrangement.

6. No idea; kind of syrupy with strings. Sounds like something from 50s pop that would have been popular with the mainstream.

7. I found this very interesting. No idea but they seemed to be explorations of a song that I can't put my finger on that was just starting to develop when it stops. Disappointing that it stopped right there.

8. I liked this although it seems like a fairly typical tenor sax/organ group. I'd like to say Sonny but I don't think so.

9. No idea. A little to out for my tastes. I guess this was one of those non-jazz songs you mentioned.

10. Straight percussion by itself doesn't get me going. Well done, however.

11. If this is Jim's way of recruiting us for the First Texas Volunteer Regiment, I'm afraid the war ended about 85 years ago. Someone should tell him :g

12. Only track I truly did not like.

13. Someone mentioned that they thought this was the Metronome All Stars. I don't think so. Not enough soloing. My guess is that this is a late 40s Thundering Herd, with Woody soloing. Could that be Getz on tenor, maybe Zoot. I remember Jim mentioning that he was looking forward to an upcoming Mosaic of Woody's. If this is on it, count me in. Regardless, I want this. Really fantastic stuff.

14. I think this is Stan Getz and Jimmy Raney from the Roost material. Really enjoyed this too. If not, I'll be getting this also. I don't know who's playing piano but he gets high marks from me.

15. This could be Red or Hamp. Another swinging song. This could be another pickup.

A note of appreciation to Jim for picking a good mix. Can't wait to listen to Disc 2.

got this pack of goodies just yesterday. have not perused the thread recently as i did not want to be swayed. no googling, no amg. just my thoughts as it happened. now to look upon the takes from those ears in the know!

Disc 1:

1) 'ask me now' solo...now a quintet...too normal for a european but it sounds more across the bay. someone blow insulation into the traps? 'as time goes by' quotes.

2) some heavy Tristano paws. but more african soul. man this is a great tune!!

3) absolutely no clue on the large group stuff. trumpeter's date? Creed Taylor's closet.

4) this is good! Jerome Richardson? no... electric geetar and clarinet? wacky man! sawaankaay!!

5) "my desire", sounds like that Aretha sings the blues big band early years record done up by James Brown...some Dinah influences but is it really James? too obvious...Little Richard or some obscurity?

6) very pretty voice...nice! these female vocs alway throw me. not that there's anything wrong with it but, i hear some Liza? she could afford a harpist at the session.

7) "little rooti tootie" ? this be the ICP... has that Megelberg / Guus Janseen / Dutch sound to it. great...man that monk, eh.

8) should know this tune. 'o' combo w/ bass? hmmm, that throws me off.

9) what a great simple first line strut...makes me hungry. was this group on the first Scorcese Blues show?

10) again no clue...

11) this doesn't make the terror holocaust sound too bad. is it some studio band... taking time off from the stooges and our gang.

12) whoa...nice segue with these last three. is this you Jim? ;) some downtown obscurity. not Zorn in there? Roswell Rudd?? craaazzzzzy!

13) man Jim...you are nuts! this thing is so hot and i usually don't like this buggin' big band stuff.

14) "almost like being in love" love how this is recorded. there is an etherial-ness to that horn. is this from an lp? song is too long to be French. though maybe Rene Thomas but I don't know much of that music. this is a fantastic cut. Klook! gotta have this!!

15) is this another French group. does have a frantic vibes that play to that bit of Spike Jonesy thread you had going on. man that vibist is killin'.

Disc 2:

1) "nature boy" ?... electric piano leaves me no clue. thought this was Mengelberg or Michael Moore... sax is very fresh... love how it melds over the propulsive Tony-esque drive ...'fusion'? as it should be! very nice. this gets even greater as it rolls along. Gerry Hemmingway? no clue...

2 ) a Leon Parker sound to it... but it may be an lp so it can't be him. i think it's mikeweil. [i was looking at that pic post thread and the images are very in sync w/ couw's conga flashimations.]

3) Marvin Gaye-ish with a very nice orchestrated detroit sound...not philly. a bit off tone on one of these guys. kind of Fernando Saunders voicings. no idea on this one.

4) now this one has that Fernado Saunders-esque bassline. beautiful stuff.

5) thought there was a thread here... now this bit of new orleans romp. great tune and i'm not much of a dixie land lubber.

6) not really a big band piece.. a large ensemble. some snakey sax make me think it's the hornist's date. is it dutch? a bit too sweet for an Odean Pope. jeesh no idea again.

7) sounds much the same as #6. a bit more advanced but less enjoyable.

8) you got a good segue goin' here. old stuff. i just don't know big band stuff.

9) i should know this i guess. works well with the last four tunes. live Rollins? but faster. whatever this is i need it. that bass solo is the knuckles!.. playing on top and down low at the same time... it's an octopus!!

10) what the heck...now some moogy funk. Olu Dara? this voice is a bit older. a great groove. excellent cut Jim! fantastic guitar comping.

11) Bob Stewart? kind of a first line thing with a lappy Frisell. percussion is on top of this one setting up a fine backbone. doh! Threadgill!!! very very circus, brandon ross, not frisell? Rojas on tuba ... never heard this one. aw jeez what the heck was that drum machine. someone should have taken that beat box away and put it in a box with stitt's varitone... that is some happening rhythm section though! maybe it's not a Threadgill date after all. the drummer is not Phaeron Aklaff. a bit too quick and electric but now doing a talking-drum thing. this is a fantastic closer!!!

now i really know why i never listen to the radio. thanks, Jim! it's a keeper. can't wait to see all the other commentary on this set. and the answers of course. fun stuff!!!

:tup:tup:tup:tup:tup

Edited by Man with the Golden Arm

Jim

I still haven't heard all of disc 2 yet, but I want to thank you for this very eclectic collection! Including J.B. & Marvin Gaye was inspired, great tunes and a reminder that it's all about the music-not some notion about what is or isn't "jazz". One more thing re track 9 on disc 1- I said Alan Lomax but should have said "recorded by Chris Strachwitz" (Arhoolie Records), right? If that ain't Bongo Joe he's got a twin! On to disc 2...

My turn to expose my ignorance.

Disc 1

1. Enjoyed the extended piano intro, like someone else said above, I at first thought there was a track mark error before listening more carefully a second and third time. The tenor and piano players especially sound like they might be playing more inside than they might usually. It put me in mind of some of the Malachi Thompson Freebop ensembles with Billy Harper.

2. No idea who this is but I am sure all of us will be looking for a cleaner copy to forward once the answer is revealed.

3. Really dug the intro. Could the tenor be Johnny Griffin?

4. Enjoyed this, although the tone used by the guitarist sounds dated (image of Austin Powers saying, "Yeah, baby!".)

5. I wouldn't have guessed JB. Actually, I thought it was a woman. I guess I need a new stereo.

6. No clue.

7. I dug this. When I first heard the alto refer to the melody I thought I was so clever to recognize a Monk snippet, until, of course, the tune was revealed to that Monk tune.

8. Sounds like Sonny Stitt to me.

9. I could listen to this again. No clue as to who.

10. Historical novelty?

11. More historical novelty, a WW1 version of the Fish Cheer?

12. Harry Allen's tribute to the Art Ensemble of Chicago.

13. Back closer to my more usual listening. Great cut. I'd guess Zoot Sims on tenor. The alto sounded like Sonny Criss. I don't think it's Criss, but someone with influences from before Bird, Marshall Royal?

14. Stan Getz? Paul Quinechette?

15. No clue.

Overall, I expected more outside material from you, Jim. Of course, I haven't gotten to disc 2 yet. Thanks for all the work you put into this.