BLINDFOLD TEST #4 - DISCUSSION

JSngry

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suggestion : Maybe the solutions shouldn't be revealed until a set time passes without a post on the discussion thread...say 24 hrs or 48 hrs - whatever. The "Disc Master" can have the answers ready at his convenience - announce the time limit - and then keep it on his "notepad" ready to go.

Maybe I'm missing something, but why not relegate all "answers" to a dedicated answers thread? Then those who are interested can post sure answers any time-- no one is forced to look at the answer thread until they are read, the person who compiled the disc can post the answers after a reasonable time, and stragglers are not left out in the cold if they can't "keep up"?

I think you're confusing different issues.

#1, this is the thread for discussion and guesses. In the interest of not giving things away, it is asked, or, really, expected, that those who know particular tracks will post links to a resource like AMG so that people who don't want to know the answer can skip the link and remain "in the dark".

#2, there will be a dedicated "Answers and Further Discussion" thread, started by Jim S. when he chooses to post the answers sometime over the weekend of beginning of next week.

As for the suggestion about no activity on this thread before answers get posted, I think its really up to the test giver to make the call. Things tend to wind down on the initial discussion thread naturally, even if there is some level of action here. Furthermore, if there are stragglers, they should still be posting their initial impressions/guesses/commentary to this thread whenever they get around to it, so a requirement of silence here may not be workable anyway.

Hmmm... a new format awaits - post the answers (artists names only) in advance of distribution, but not in order. The game would then be to figure out which cut is which.

Might not be as easy as it sounds!

You still can do that with your answers! Not as much fun as if it were in the beginning, but still some! :tup:g

couw, I hope you do not curse me for this, you'll get an extra beer!

Edited by mikeweil

What a great and happy listen these discs are. Thanks, Jim. There are a couple of tracks that I should be able to get but can't quite nail them down. They're driving me crazy! I'm pretty confident on the Big Band tracks, can identify some of the soloists here and there, and with the exception of one, strike out completely on the vocalists.

Here are some of my guesses, a few I'm pretty confident about.

1-4 Woody Herman, very early 70's band - I believe the trombone soloist here is Rick Stepton.

1-6 Rosemary Clooney

1-8 I should know this tenor player - he sounds familiar but I can't quite nail him down.

1-13 Can't quite identify the band, but I'm pretty sure it's a late '50's NYC band - Bill Potts, perhaps? The sax soloists are Zoot Sims and Phil Woods (though it could be Gene Quill).

1-14 - Got to be Getz, doesn't it?

1-16 This is a very intriguing track. It sure sounds like Lionel Hampton. At first I thought it was an early recording, but isn't that a conga player in the rhythm section? And the piano player sounds like Earl Hines at times. So I'm guessing it was the album Hamp made with Buddy Rich circa '77. Did the 'Fatha guest on one track?

2-5 At first I thought it was Bud Freeman on tenor. But isn't that Prez?

2-6 Warne Marsh on tenor with the Clare Fischer Big Band playing Lennie's Pennies.

2-7 - The Anthony Braxton Big Band (circa '76) One of my favorite tracks here.

2-8 Basie with Prez.

2-9 A Bird tune. Don't ask me which one. Reminds me a bit of Lew Tabakin, but not quite as polished. Another player I should get.

Most of the rest, not a clue, but am looking forward to findingout. 1-1 is a great track BTW.

2-5 At first I thought it was Bud Freeman on tenor. But isn't that Prez?

Only similarity goes for the tembre for both of them.

Pres certainly was something to much different.

"Bud Freeman, oh, my... I've never been influenced by Bud Freeman" - Young

Edited by mmilovan

>>"Bud Freeman, oh, my... I've never been influenced by Bud Freeman" - Young <<

I know Pres said that, but I've always found it hard to believe that there was no influence there. I think there had to be some influence and that Pres either didn't realize it himself or was being disingenous. Particularly that one note rhythmic thing common to both players.

I'm editing this to say " hard to accept at face value" rather than "hard to believe".

Edited by Harold_Z

Well, I do think there are same similarities, though if you heard Freeman and Prez back to back there would be no trouble in distinguishing them. My problem with this track is the context. Seems to me to be a style in which you are much more likely to hear Bud than Prez. At first, I was thinking World's Greatest Jazz Band, and though I don't think it's them, it's the same general style. And that's why I thought of Bud at first, though listening again I do think it's Lester (or more likely a clone - Quinichette?)

Unless otherwise stated, I haven’t a clue as to who is what on this! Nor have I taken any of the sixteen pages of postings into this. Other posts will likely follow, commenting on other folks impressions, but here’s my initial guesses:

1-1 Some Monk tune; if I had to guess, I’d say it was from the Town Hall Concert, but I’ve never heard that album. And since no one else has mentioned it previously, I’m guessing my guess is an incorrect guess!

1-2 Nice; I like the beat! Early Tjader maybe?

1-3 The opening kinda scared me, but the rest swung like mad!

1-4 The sound quality suggests a USC Marching Band halftime special. The song reminds me of a Steve Miller tune, “The Stake.”

1-5 I confess right now that I have no soul. Really. The only James Brown I’ve ever heard is “I Got You (I Feel Good.” How sad is that? This track only confirms what I’ve been missing. I’m so bad.

1-6 Rosemary Clooney? I don’t know, but this was the LONGEST four minutes & 22 seconds I’ve had in a long time!

1-7 No clue, no interest. Requires more attention than I’m willing to pay at this moment.

1-8 I like this. It sounds like it could’ve been an outtake from the sessions for Larry Young’s Into Somethin’. It also sounds like Coltrane’s “Blues to You” in some spots. And verrrry greeeeeazy, too!

1-9 Uhhhhhhh…. Okaaaaaay. NEXT!

1-10 Pretty cool. Not a trace of self-indulgence, just a nice beat to solo over.

1-11 Is this Ted Lewis? All that’s missing is the “Is everybody happy? So this is what wartime propaganda sounds like! I’m pretty sure I’ve heard this melody before, like “We’re in to Win!”

1-12 Blah! I really can’t stand the “every man for himself try to outsolo everyone else on the record” mentality, and it’s in full, er, “swing” on this record! YIKES!!!

1-13 Late-50’s Benny Goodman? I don’t know what it is, but I sure dig it! Can’t wait to find out what this is and what album it’s from (and hopefully it’s not OOP!)

1-14 Well, I know it’s “Almost Like Being in Love,” and if it’s not Stan Getz, then it sure sounds like the player WANTS to be! Maybe Scott Hamilton feeling a little more inspired than usual?

1-15 The Benny Goodman Quartet…..without Benny!

2-1 Wow! Trippy, man! No clue as to who, but there’s shades of Herbie in there. If I’d never heard any of the Mwandishi records, I’d assume this was that. But it ain’t, so I don’t know (as usual).

2-2 Oh now this is NICE!!! I love rubato-type pieces like this. Again, no clue, but it’s another one I can’t wait to find out who, what, and where!

2-3 Nice beat, and you can dance to it. Ooops, sorry; wrong show. Sorry.

2-4 ANOTHER nice one! This takes me back to the few happy moments I had in the 80’s. Didn’t like it at first, but it really grew on me. I listened to it a few times before moving on to track five.

2-5 What is this? Monk meets the ODJB on amphetamines?

2-6 Seems like I’ve heard this before, but darn if I can remember it! I’m sure I’ll kick myself once this one’s revealed. Is it that Art Pepper record, “Plus 9” or something like that?

2-7 After not really paying attention, I thought tracks 6 & 7 blended into each other, so now I’m really confused. On second thought, maybe it’s Gerry Mulligan getting way out (for him), or Sam Rivers getting way in (for him), with a big band on fire! Who knows?

2-8 I don’t know which big band this is, BUT GIVE ME MORE OF IT!!!! MMM MMM MMMMMMMMM!!!!

2-9 This was okay. That drum solo in the middle about put me to sleep.

2-10 WTF?!?!?!? NEXT!!!

2-11 Wild, man; wiiiiiiild!

disc 2:

1- Sounds like some of the jams on the BITCHES BREW box. Sax solo didn't move me much, but I like the electric piano spot (Chick Corea, perhaps?). Cool vamp with the sax contributing mainly to the rhythmic aspect - love those stacatto notes.

2- Nice sparse setting, lots of room for the soloists to develop. The same background figure might be limiting to some but these soloists thrive, especially the trombone.

3- I'm guessing this is from the 70s. The vocals weaving "in and out" of each other work better than the unison parts.

4- This is one tune to chill to. I like the bass out front. No hurry in getting to where they are going - the antithesis of today's world.

5- Great joyous opening and ending for that matter. Pianist has that Teddy Wilson thing going on. Gruff-sounding Prez influenced tenor.

6- Konitz and Marsh for sure (can't wait for Santa to bring me that Mosaic); not sure about the pianist, 'cuz I haven't heard Tristano before, but it could very well be him or someone strongly influenced by him. Not sure about the rest of the big band.

7- Those ensemble passages sound incredibly challenging to play. Lots of stuff going on here.

8- Prez with Basie, live recording. Typical outstanding solo from Lester, nice to hear him really stretch out in this setting. More please!

9- "Dexterity". Sounds like Sonny Rollins, those repititive figures and some of the licks sound Rollinsesque. Drummer could be Billy Higgins, not sure on the bassist.

10- Not sure what to say about this one.

11- Sounds like Weather Report. I'm doubting that's Wayne Shorter, however. Really digging this. So much stuff going on but everything co-exists perfectly.

Finally, I've had time to play through Disc one. Hopefully I'll have a few more comments before the discussion moves to the next thread...

Disc One:

Track 1: Not Monk, to be sure. This is from a pianist who has a smile on his lips a bit more often. (And who I think played better twenty years earlier)

Disc1-Track1

Track 2: Nice enough, but I haven't got a clue.

Track 3: I'm sure I've heard this before. The theme sounds almost like it could be some circa 1960 George Russell, but the piano player sounds nothing like him. The trumpeter reminds me of Blue Mitchell, except that the sound is perhaps a bit brassier. I'll have to listen to this again. Very enjoyable!