BLINDFOLD TEST #4 - DISCUSSION

JSngry

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Enough titular humor, this is a family forum!

Some EXCELLENT comments so far, let's keep 'em coming. Remember, unless you want it to be, "guessing" is not as important as honest opinions.

Now to completely contradict myself... :blink:

Some of you might find the arranger on Disc One, Track 5 to be somebody you know. Pretty "characteristic" of his sound...

Interesting, Jim. I wouldn't have put much of this together (details on disc 1, track 5) without having some of you guys pointing me in the right direction, but what's surprising me a bit are the names being connected here (singer, arranger, orchestra leader). That's assuming that this info is correct, of course. Jim, do they have that drummer/orch leader correct? There are multiple arrangers listed, but I think it's clear now who you're referring to...

Well, I received my disc today (thanks, Tom!), and post without having read much more than Jim's initial post...

Thanks, Jim! I'm right now listening to #8 from disc 1, and there's some stuff I heard already I'd sure like to have!

I'll come back to this post and edit for more. So, now let's begin:

Disc 1

1. Very nice piano intro, beautiful tune, I know it, I think, but can't come up with a title or composer. Some kinda dukish playing by the pianist in the intro. The man on tenor has a meaty sound I like. No-nonsense stuff, either late sixties/early seventies or some nineties retro stuff? Great pianist, cool drummer.

Reminds me of some stuff Blakey did in the fifties, then the vamp thing could be from Horace. Could it be him? Trumpet mellow, but good. Like this one a lot!

2. Hey that's almost good, indeed! Easy stuff, but I like it. Nice rhythm going. Second half of the fifties? One of those rare prestige afro/drum dates?

3. Another one I like a lot. Like the alto solo. Who's he? Cool!

4. A Creed Taylor/Oliver Nelson production? No? Like it alright. Surprising (and cool!) to hear a clarinet in this context! Favorite moment: trombone solo.

5. J.B.? One of his early ones. Nice tenor. Pee Wee Ellis already? I guess not.

6. More non-jazz. This a man or a woman? I like it, but the strings are a little bit too sweet for my taste. I don't know much about this kind of music, however.

7. Quite a change! A Monk tune. I know it, but cannot come up with the title, too lacy to check right now. Quite abstract at some moments - almost reminds me of the Giuffre/Swallow/Bley recordings at some moments. Like it!

8. "Secret Love". Good one! They hit the right groove right from the start. I would need another listen to try to identify the tenor man. Solid stuff! The electric bass would make me guess it's not a very old recording, but I have no idea. Sort of the thing Dexter could have done with organ? But it's not him.

9. No idea what this could be, not the kind of stuff I know much about. Like it alright, though.

10. Cool, but again no idea what it could be. A drummer imitating a tap dancer or really a tap dance and a drummer? Either way an old one. I guess the (hard)bop generation would not have done something like this anymore.

11. No idea. A little sweet?

12. Good one! Hal? Yes? Love it! Would like to hear more of that! Some passages made me think of Mingus - the horn arrangements, not the bass playing. Great!

13. Very nice sax playing here! Easy stuff, not untouched by bop but some older influences clearly coming through.

14. Getz? Or another of those Prez disciples. Nice and easy, like it! Another standard I know, but can't come up with its title.

15. Hamp? Nicely building performance. What's that tune again?

Disc 2

1. Nature Boy? Cool performance! Would like to hear more of this! Good they're not falling in some too simple back-beat groove, the drummer's keeping things interesting.

more to come...

Jim, thanks a lot! I really enjoy the discs! :tup

ubu

Edited by king ubu

Back again; second post of what's shaping up to be a series of three. Not knocking the CDs, Jim, but I'll be glad when I can finish and read the rest of the thread! :lol:

Disc One, cont.

14. Nice on the ears. I'm more curious about when this was recorded than who recorded it.

15. This is one of the unfortunate problems I find with these Blindfold Tests. I want to finish, so I can read the thread, and feel obligated to finish to justify my participation. However, this tune is a perfect example of something I might ordinarily enjoy, but I'm just not in the mood for it today. Several of the tunes I've heard on these discs (meaning all the way from the first test) are ones that I really like, but on first listen just didn't work because it wasn't the type of music I was interested in hearing at the time. I assume this makes sense...

Disc Two:

1. And what am I in the mood to here today? This one will do quite nicely! The only annoying thing about this one is that it's another one of those tunes that I recognize but can't remember the title. I'd never make it as a musician; I can't remember song titles for shit anymore. And I know this is one I should remember. Arrghh! Reminds me a lot of Bitches Brew, but better. (There; that should be a safe comment, as long as it's not on Bitches Brew... :wacko: ) Add it to the list; I like this one!

2. Interesting stuff. The more I hear, the more I like it. Except one thing: that is the most boring drummer I've heard outside of rock. (Yeah, I can't wait to find out what favorite of mine I've insulted, but what the hell; gotta go out on a limb once in a while, just for the view!) In fact, if I can learn to deal with the drum machine, I mean drummer, I'd like to have this one.

3. Jeez, I'm not sure what this is; let me ask my wife...even she will know! :g

4. I listen to these things once all the way through, and then listen again before writing my comments. The main thought that occured to me on first listen to this one was: Will you fuckers please play another note!!!! Remembering that, I just couldn't face a second listen. Sorry, but this one drives me up the freakin' wall...

5. Excellent! This one is great; obviously played by artists who look at hot jazz as a living art rather than a museum piece to be "preserved"! I don't know who any of these people are, but I sure hope it's a group I can add to my shelves!

Next time, #6 on till the end of the second disc...maybe later tonight.

Listening again, Disc 1, Track 2 sounds like it could be Raymond Scott, but the noisiness of the recording (LP? 78?) throws me off since all the Scott I have is on squeeky clean CDs.

As for Track 5, geez, I can't believe I missed JB. I like and listen to too many 50's jump-blues singers and that threw me off - I was expecting someone else.

Track 12. Yes, definitely AEC. Wasn't thinking of them because the track is a bit further out than most of the AEC that I know, which is their ECM recordings. And even those i haven't spun in several years. Sounds almost like a Tom Waits instrumental at the end. ;)

continuing my thoughts:

Disc 2

2. Cool! Very cool! These instruments sound very good together! Like it a lot!

3. Again, not much to say on this one, but I do like it.

4. Very laid back, chill out stuff, very groovy! Like this a lot.

5. First thought: some hot jazz on Blue Note 40ies stuff - but sound's much too clean for that. Whatever this is, me likee!

6. Solid big band, good solos, no idea...

7. Similar... Jones-Lewis? Pepper Adams? Like it! But then, who could be the alto soloist?

getting tired, comments getting shorter... I will need another listen to this one, but I do really enjoy it, Jim! :tup

ubu

Okay, to wrap 'er up so I can read the damned thread...

Disc Two, cont.

7. Manic, intriguing, but essentially it doesn't pull me in. The head isn't enough to hang a hat on. (Yeah, I know; nonmusicians shouldn't try musical puns...) It's one of those tunes in which I love the solos, but not the "whole". I'd love to hear more from the baritone...

8. Another one where one musician stands out and makes me want to hear more, but for some reason doesn't satisfy. In this case, the pianist. I like the work, but I don't love it...

9. Same thing here. Now, if you get the baritone from 7, the pianist from 8, and the sax here, we might have something...

10. Just give me the title so I can start looking for it. Thumbs up. Whoo hoo. Etc.

(Yeah, I like this one...)

11. You know how some songs are arranged "just off a bit", and this builds the tension, and really makes for an intriguing mix? Well, this one misses that target. I'll pass.

All in all, I can't help but think that the double disc thing just didn't work for me, and that I tried to put too much intense listening into too short of a time period. It particularly shows on the second disc. I'll have to give it a revisit in the future when the pressure to comment NOW isn't there. To be honest, I do hope that not too many follow Jim's lead and come up with a two disc set...

Now to catch up with the thread!

If you don't like it, that's cool, but try to give a little more explanation of why... that's how these things work best.

Here comes the string of posts as I catch up; sorry guys!

One problem when musicians react with nonmusicians, or when musicians and educated listeners react with those of us with less musical knowledge and such is that we may not have the terminology to explain exactlywhy something er..."sucks" in our opinion. I wish I could have explained exactly why I didn't like the last track of the second disc, but I simply don't have the musical knowledge and the vocabulary that goes along with it to coherently explain. You'll just have to bear with us here... :)

On that really old track with the male vocalist, my first instinct at the very beginning was to wonder whether I was about to hear Andy Kaufman singing the theme to "Mighty Mouse".

That would have been a somewhat appropriate comment for Disc One, Track Two. And that's as much of a hint as I'm giving about any of this.

And that's enough for me to guess that it's a soundtrack to a cartoon. Thirties era. Probably Merry Melodies. Which leads me to another thought: I wonder how much influence Carl Stallings has on my musical brain? Probably more than I'd want to know!

But back to the thread...

continuing...

Disc 2

8. this does irritate me! I don't know early/prime Basie at all, but this is at least basie-ite, yet I don't think it's Prez...

9. Dexterity, Sonny Rollins. Probably with Henry Grimes and Pete La Roca, live in 1959 or in the early sixties. GREAT! Absolutely love it! Never heard it before. Maybe my personal highlight of these two discs, together with Disc 1 #12.

10. Never heard, no idea, but like it very much!

11. again no idea. Cool groove!

ubu

Wow! And to think I was too embarrassed to mention that 1/3 reminded me of Mingus...me and half the participants.

Oh, and after poking around on redhotjazz.com, I withdraw my guess of ODJB on the No Man's Land track...shoulda known; it just seemed too "jaunty" for someone who'd actually been over there...

Seriously, I love it! I'm really surprised there's five tracks on these two discs I instantly recognized. I get something out of every track and dig the diversity of styles - there are some tracks I'd really like to have! More details to come tomorrow - I just spent two hours at this f....ing machine trying to repair some acidentally deleted file and need some sleep ....

I was able to get the children to bed earlier than usual and had some time to myself before my wife came in from work. I only got through the first disc, but since it is rare that I have time to myself to sit and listen attentively to anything I figured I would post my reactions to the first disc and post again later when I am able to listen to the second disc.

Because of my own notions of what a blindfold test should be I am posting my thoughts after only listening to the disc once and without the benefit of reading any of the other participants thoughts. I will probably read the thread before I listen to the second disc in its entirety, but at least for the first 80 minute session I am operating completely blind and you are getting my real initial reaction to the music - all of which is new to me.

1. This is a great track to get it started and probably my favorite track on the disc. I enjoyed the solo piano intro - the intro had hints of a Monk tune, but I know the tune is not a Monk tune. When the band comes in a couple of minutes later there is a really nice groove. The tune sounds very familiar although I know I have never heard it before. It is not the specific tune, but the style of writing that sounds familiar. I really like how the drummer is breaking up the rhythm. The tenor is familiar and I really like the pianists solo - sounds almost like he/she is being very careful with the notes that are played. Great track!

2. The second track is an older recording that is fun, but in the end I did not have much of a reaction on the first listen.

3. The intro to this tune reminds me a little of "A Love Supreme". This is another familiar tune that I can not identify. I enjoyed the horn solo - especially the use of longer tones as opposed to a bunch of notes.

4. A larger ensemble playing an R&B type tune. Another fun and enjoyable tune, but not necessarily something I would go to when I am in one of my "deep" listening moods.

5. Very soulful female vocalist that I am sure I have heard before. This track conjured images of my frequent family gatherings in Harlem or the annual family reunion in either Alabama, Detroit or Dayton where the more senior family members spend the whole time in a room playing bid whisk and listening to the down home blues they love so much. I really enjoyed the feeling of this track.

6. The vocalist on this track has a much more pure voice than the vocalist in the preceding track, but does not have the same feeling or soul that I get from the other vocalist. I can appreciate her vocal quality, but compared to the preceding track it is a let down.

7. This is a very interesting alto-piano duet playing a hidden arrangement of a Monk tune. Both the alto and pianist sound familiar, but I can not place either. I like the tension on this piece.

8. Organ-bass-drums-tenor. I enjoyed this track about equally as much as the first track. I don't often like bass with organ, but it works well here. The tenor is familiar, but I can not place it. I really liked the organists sound. Not too heavy and nice solo.

Tracks 9-11 did not do much for me. Not sure what to say about those because to be honest I did not have much of a reaction. They sounded somewhat like oddities. Track 11 sounds like something from an old movie.

12. This sounds like an Art Ensemble of Chicago recording before Famodou Don Moye joined the group. It has the sense of drama that I used to find very appealing in their music. The vocals almost makes it sound like it belongs in an old movie like track 11. My wife (not a huge jazz fan) came home while this track was playing and asked if this was ragtime.

13. Nice swinging large ensemble. We are now getting closer to the end of the disc. My attention is starting to drift a little and it is not helped by the fact that my wife is home and distracting me a little.

14. Nice tenor work. Mellow swing out of the Lester Young school.

15. This is not the type of thing I usually listen to, but it was enjoyable nonetheless. Makes me think of Lionel Hampton.

I am not sure when I will get the time again, but I will make the effort to get back with comments on disc 2.

Don't feel bad-- I haven't heard these discs yet, but I remember being extremely chagrined to find out that the female singer I identified while listening to the radio (in a sad attempt to impress my non-jazz friends at my sincerity) turned out to be Chet Baker :)

And then there is the Chris Isaak/Sade vocally separated at birth thing...