Phil Schaap: 40 years on the air!

brownie

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some predictable reactions!

It seems that the mention of Schaap rubs a number of people the wrong way!

I must say that whenever I was in New York, I tuned in on WKCR for Schaap's ornithology lessons. Pretty often, there was a number of details that would catch my interest? Not sure however that listening to 'Bird Flight' would be a daily ritual if I were to live in NYC!

He talks too much :)

Many people do who love nothing more than the sound of their own voice. Anyone who can survive in the broadcasting business for 40 years is doing something right, but anyone who takes to focus away from the music and moves it to themselves is doing something wrong.

A few years ago when I lived in northern New Jersey and would take a 20 mile drive to work in the morning, I would tune in WKCR as soon as I started the car in order to listen to Schaap's "Bird Flight" show. I can't recall exactly how many times I would make the drive and not hear a note from Bird whatsoever, rather I was subjected to Schaap's continual revisionism of a period of jazz during which, at best, he was in diapers, not having witnessed a moment of it. Finally, I wised up and would listen to cassettes of Bird (that dates me somewhat!) on my way to work.

Schaap truly loves the music but I don't know how a knowledgable jazz fan, as opposed to a neophyte anxious to learn, can listen to him.

• 1 year later...

He talks too much :)

Many people do who love nothing more than the sound of their own voice. Anyone who can survive in the broadcasting business for 40 years is doing something right, but anyone who takes to focus away from the music and moves it to themselves is doing something wrong.

A few years ago when I lived in northern New Jersey and would take a 20 mile drive to work in the morning, I would tune in WKCR as soon as I started the car in order to listen to Schaap's "Bird Flight" show. I can't recall exactly how many times I would make the drive and not hear a note from Bird whatsoever, rather I was subjected to Schaap's continual revisionism of a period of jazz during which, at best, he was in diapers, not having witnessed a moment of it. Finally, I wised up and would listen to cassettes of Bird (that dates me somewhat!) on my way to work.

Schaap truly loves the music but I don't know how a knowledgable jazz fan, as opposed to a neophyte anxious to learn, can listen to him.

Marty's experience paralleled mine: used to listen a lot early on but tuned him out later on. Just too much talking without getting to the music.

It sounded like he had a genuine connection with Max though and I used to enjoy those shows. The Thursday night host has him on sometimes and it sounds like they have a genuine rapport.