Sir Duke: The Classic Victor Recordings 1940-1942???

A little off topic, but the appelation "Sir Duke" is one I never heard, until Stevie Wonder. I'm assuming he created it, yet the only appearance in the song is a single line ("And the king of all Sir Duke"), and the song seems to be about music itself rather than anything to do with Ellington. It's groovy, but the lyrics are repetitious and inconsequential. :w

Besides, a Duke is higher than a Sir, so...?? :crazy:

I had no idea what you were talking about, I had to look it up . . . seems a budget release that probably stole their "masters" from Chrongical (sic) Classics or the RCA set of the same material.

I would think you would know if you had the Ellington material in this time frame and don't have to buy it again. Personally, I would buy the legitimate US release if I could. I don't know if you would consider this essential or not, not sure how you view this period of Ellington. I know how you feel about Armstrong of the same vintate.

Here's what the Duke Ellington Society pages say about this release:

01/3 DEMS 14/1

Sugabeat S3Beat 301 3 CD set Sir Duke The classic Victor recordings1940-1942

This 3 CD set has been sent to me. It has 72 recordings. It's neatly packaged with the discs inside the box in cardboard envelopes. The sound quality is good - similar to the RCAs, I imagine. The only credit for any engineering is given as 'Digital remastering by Mass Masters'. Who he? The originators call themselves Sugabeat Ltd. and the set originates in England. is the only address. I've just been there and it says in many different languages that the site is under construction. Anyone anything to add? Steve Voce**

CD 1 (Total time 76:09)

6Mar40, You, You Darlin'; Jack the Bear; Ko-Ko (-2?); Morning Glory; So Far, So Good. 15Mar40, Conga Brava; Concerto for Cootie; Me and You. 4May40, Cotton Tail; Never No Lament. 28May40, Dusk (-1?); Bojangles; Portrait of Bert Williams; Blue Goose. 22Jul40, Harlem Air-Shaft; At a Dixie Roadside Diner; All Too Soon; Rumpus in Richmond. 24Jul40, My Greatest Mistake; Sepia Panorama (-1?). 5Sep40, There Shall Be No Night; In a Mellow Tone; Five O'Clock Whistle. 1oct40, Pitter Panther Patter (-2?)

CD 2 (Total time 79:10)

1oct40, Body and Soul (-3?); Sophisticated Lady (-2?); Mr J. B. Blues (-1?). 17oct40, Warm Valley (-2?); The Flaming Sword (-2?). 28oct40, Across the Track Blues (-1?); Chloe; I Never Felt This Way Before (-1?). 28Dec40, The Sidewalks of New York; Flamingo; The Girl in My Dreams (-1?). 15Feb41, Take the "A" Train; Jumpin' Punkins (-2?); John Hardy's Wife; Blue Serge; After All. 14May41, Dear Old Southland (-2?); Solitude (-1?). 5Jun41, Bakiff; Are You Sticking? (-1?); Just A-Sittin' and A-Rockin'; The Giddy-Bug Gallop. 26Jun41, Chocolate Shake; I Got It Bad (-1?)

CD 3 (Total time 71:42)

2Jul41, Clementine; Brown-Skin Gal; Jump for Joy (-1?); Moon Over Cuba. 2Sep41, Five O'Clock Drag; Rocks in My Bed; Bli-Blip. 2Dec41, Chelsea Bridge; Raincheck; What Good Would It Do?; I Don't Know What Kind of Blues I Got (-1?). 21Jan42, Perdido (-1?); C-Jam Blues; Moon Mist (-1?). 26Feb42, What Am I Here For?; I Don't Mind; Someone. 26Jun42, My Little Brown Book; Main Stem; Johnny Come Lately. 28Jul42, Hayfoot, Strawfoot (-1?); Sentimental Lady (-1?); A Slip of the Lip; Sherman Shuffle.

Steve Voce**

I agree, without the alternates.

tranemonk, I think you're doing the right thing.

This is great music. Some see this as the BEST Ellington. I don't, but it's great stuff.

I also bought the Sugabeat set on the recommendation of the Daily Telegraph in order to overcome the remastering

cock-ups on the centennial set. It is very well done.

Sugabeat also released a Count Basie 4 cd set covering 1939-42 entitled Cutting Butter. I can recommend it.

Sugabeat are/were based in Guildford, Surrey - not previously known as a hotbed of jazz record remastering skills.

I also bought the Sugabeat set on the recommendation of the Daily Telegraph in order to overcome the remastering

cock-ups on the centennial set. It is very well done.

Sugabeat also released a Count Basie 4 cd set covering 1939-42 entitled Cutting Butter. I can recommend it.

Sugabeat are/were based in Guildford, Surrey - not previously known as a hotbed of jazz record remastering skills.

Who did the remastering?

According to the notes the remastering was done by Mass Masters. Who they are I don't know. However one of the producers of the box set was Paul Swinton. He took over Frog records after the death of David French. I know that

Paul favours the remastering skills of Nick Dellow. Whether he is part of Mass Masters I do not know.