Mal Waldron

Late

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, Pim said:

Yup they are both there, on the first picture ;)

Found the Lacy/Waldron .... but still miss (the original red) "Breaking New Ground" japanese Baystate version .... or do you have the later (white cover) Europaen edition which I simply can`t detach .... ?

Pim,

I am jealous of your Mal Waldron collection!  That's fantastic.  Isn't it so fun to completely immerse yourself in an artist's work!?!?!

Also, I really hope you do the blog thing and describe your impressions of each recording!  I have about 50 Waldron recordings.  Nothing to sneeze at -- but I'm sure I'm missing some great stuff.  So I'd love to hear/read your impressions.

One question:  Since I have none of them, which of Waldron's Tutu recording do you like best?

@soulpope

Yeah I’ve got the version on Eastwind with the white cover. Not the best version I guess so I’ll probably replace it with a Japanese one in the future. 

5 albums, boy that is difficult, 10 would be easier haha! I’ll take this I guess

1. Reminiscent Suite 

2. Black Glory

3. One Upmanship

4. Number Nineteen

5. At The Bimhuis 1982 with Steve Lacy

@Hutchfan

The Tutu’s are all great but my favorites are

- Mal, Verve, Black & Blue

- From Dark Into the Light

Both steaming live sessions with the great but underrated Nicolas Simion. Jim Pepper (who’s on most of the other Tutu’s) is great but Simion has my preference. 

And thanks for the kind words. Bit busy nowadays but hope I could start soon with that blog!  Will post the link here of course. 

BTW: I see I have forgot to include Spanish Bitch on the pictures. That one is framed on my wall :)

Edited by Pim

3 minutes ago, Pim said:

@soulpope

Yeah I’ve got the version on Eastwind with the white cover. Not the best version I guess so I’ll probably replace it with a Japanese one in the future. 

5 albums, boy that is difficult, 10 would be easier haha! I’ll take this I guess

1. Reminiscent Suite 

2. Black Glory

3. One Upmanship

4. Number Nineteen

Good Choices indeed .... I would go with (at least today:D) :

Mal Waldron Plays The Blues

Free At Last

Number Nineteen

Waldron/Lacy Dreher Paris 1981

One More Time

9 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Good Choices indeed .... I would go with (at least today:D) :

Mal Waldron Plays The Blues

Free At Last

Number Nineteen

Waldron/Lacy Dreher Paris 1981

One More Time

I could definitely survive with those!

I'll play too! ... 

My five favorite MW records (at this moment):

- Black Glory (Enja) 

- One Upmanship (Enja)

- What It Is (Enja)

- Songs of Love & Regret (Free Lance) - with Marion Brown

- One More Time (Sketch) - with Jean-Jacques Avenel & Steve Lacy

Lots of overlap on our lists!  You guys have good taste!  :P 

58 minutes ago, Pim said:

1. Reminiscent Suite 

If I might ask, where/how did you find a copy of Reminiscent Suite??  I've been trying to find a copy for eons, and I've never seen one go for anything less than ~$80, iirc.  --  and more often than not, more than $100.

If there was ONE Mal date I'd like to have on CD, it'd be that one!! -- Mal & Terumasa!!

15 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

If I might ask, where/how did you find a copy of Reminiscent Suite??  I've been trying to find a copy for eons, and I've never seen one go for anything less than ~$80, iirc.  --  and more often than not, more than $100.

If there was ONE Mal date I'd like to have on CD, it'd be that one!! -- Mal & Terumasa!!

Well that’s what I have paid for it.... I thinks it was about 90 dollars including shipment. I usually never spend those kind of amounts on cds or vinyl but this was one I had to have. I don’t think it’s obtainable for less... and with Mal I have paid those kind of prices more than once as most of his music is quite hard to get.

Oh yeah a great SHM or UHQCD reissue would be much appreciated!

Edited by Pim

3 minutes ago, Pim said:

Well that’s what I have paid for it.... I thinks it was about 90 dollars including shipment. I usually never spend those kind of amounts on cds or vinyl but this was one I had to have. I don’t think it’s obtainable for less... and with Mal I have paid those kind of prices more than once as most of his music is quite hard to get.

Oh yeah a great SHM or UHQCD reissue would be much appreciated!

Asking prices were high for quite some time .... even when i bought my copy a decade ago ....

have been a big fan of Nicolas Simion, ever since I saw him in one out of five surprise bands in a "wildcard" concert 25 years ago... he really is underrated... one stupid question, asking as a Barney Wilen collector: are those two Waldron/Wilen albums identical or are there really two albums?

On 06/09/2020 at 0:50 PM, Pim said:

Yeah I did it! With buying Embryo's For Eva and Nada Jovic's Take Me In Your Arms I completed my project: I now own every single album by Waldron from 1963 till his death as a leader, co-leader and a sideman!

Out of interest, and I may have missed it, but what is the reason for the 1963 start date?

7 hours ago, Niko said:

have been a big fan of Nicolas Simion, ever since I saw him in one out of five surprise bands in a "wildcard" concert 25 years ago... he really is underrated... one stupid question, asking as a Barney Wilen collector: are those two Waldron/Wilen albums identical or are there really two albums?

They are actually the same. What’s so confusing is that some of the titles are different. Plus my Timeless reissue of the movie themes states 1990 as recording date and my Japanese version of the French Movie Story says 1989. It confused me that much that I’ve bought both....

5 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Out of interest, and I may have missed it, but what is the reason for the 1963 start date?

Mal had a mental breakdown that year. It had something to do with drugs, according to himself. He was unable to play and had to relearn his skills by listening to old records by himself. After that year his playing style really changed and grew to the style he’s most known for: the dark lyricism, the repetitive and percussive play that really became his trademark. 

That’s the period I am most interested in. Don’t get me wrong, some of the pre 1963 dates are really, really good (The Quest, Impressions) but in my own opinion the later Mal is more interesting.

1 hour ago, Pim said:

They are actually the same. What’s so confusing is that some of the titles are different. Plus my Timeless reissue of the movie themes states 1990 as recording date and my Japanese version of the French Movie Story says 1989. It confused me that much that I’ve bought both....

Mal had a mental breakdown that year. It had something to do with drugs, according to himself. He was unable to play and had to relearn his skills by listening to old records by himself. After that year his playing style really changed and grew to the style he’s most known for: the dark lyricism, the repetitive and percussive play that really became his trademark. 

That’s the period I am most interested in. Don’t get me wrong, some of the pre 1963 dates are really, really good (The Quest, Impressions) but in my own opinion the later Mal is more interesting.

Same here ....

4 hours ago, Pim said:

Thanks. For some reason that hadn't occured to me. Now that I think about it he does sound really different on earlier records like At The Five Spot. 

7 hours ago, Pim said:

I´ve read About that mental breakdown and that he changed his stlye into a more repetitive and percussive Play (his Trademark), but one year before he recorded with Max Roach on "Speak Brother Speak" and I Always thought his playing on that is very similar to his later style. Very percussive, and repetitive phrases on his solos…..

Unbenannt.png

Edited by Gheorghe

21 hours ago, HutchFan said:

I'll play too! ... 

- Black Glory (Enja) 

- One Upmanship (Enja)

- What It Is (Enja)

Yeah great choices!

22 hours ago, Pim said:

@soulpope

1. Reminiscent Suite 

2. Black Glory

3. One Upmanship

4. Number Nineteen

@Hutchfan

The Tutu’s are all great but my favorites are

- Mal, Verve, Black & Blue

- From Dark Into the Light

Both steaming live sessions with the great but underrated Nicolas Simion. Jim Pepper (who’s on most of the other Tutu’s) is great but Simion has my preference. 

And thanks for the kind words. Bit busy nowadays but hope I could start soon with that blog!  Will post the link here of course. 

BTW: I see I have forgot to include Spanish Bitch on the pictures. That one is framed on my wall :)

Mal, Verve, Black & Blue is one of my favorites as well

22 hours ago, HutchFan said:

I'll play too! ... 

- Black Glory (Enja) 

- One Upmanship (Enja)

- What It Is (Enja)

Would be mighty fine on my desert island too ....

On 8.10.2020 at 5:22 PM, HutchFan said:

One question:  Since I have none of them, which of Waldron's Tutu recording do you like best?

518ksKvS0sL._SX466_.jpg

This ain`t too shabby either .... but there numerous unrestrictedly superb Mal Waldron Trio recordings ....