Alexander Hawkins Ensemble

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do your larger pieces stand a chance of getting to record, Alex? I really enjoyed the piece on the BBC last year.

Or are the costs prohibitive? (I was amazed at how much NMC records needed to raise just to get out three contemporary operas already recorded for BBC broadcast).

Alex, I'm wondering whether the Beeb gave you any parameters for the work as it's part of the Baroque Spring? If not, did the Baroque have any influence whatsoever?

A friend of mine who was at Oto has done nothing but rave about this since the perrformance so I'm looking forward to hearing it myself

Alex, I'm wondering whether the Beeb gave you any parameters for the work as it's part of the Baroque Spring? If not, did the Baroque have any influence whatsoever?

A friend of mine who was at Oto has done nothing but rave about this since the perrformance so I'm looking forward to hearing it myself

Ah wow, I'm flattered! We had a lovely night at Oto, actually...was a lot of fun...somewhat stressful, as due to an accident on the motorway, we completely missed a final rehearsal of the piece, and only had time for a 20-minute talk through before we hit...however - the 'terrible sound check, great gig' principle rode to our rescue!

The Beeb were fantastic actually - I was set no parameters at all, apart from a rough guideline as the length of the piece. However, the more I thought about it, the less there was any need to contrive influence, because I realised there were so many parallels between the genres (whether conscious or not)...I did actually write some quite extensive notes for the session here where I try to go into a few of the ideas I was working with...but ideas of dance, repetitive structures, counterpoint, and so forth all fed into it. Plus, Ellington is where my heart is, so 'The Hot Bach' was also an important organising principle for me!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just noticed:

Friday October 25

Sheffield Jazz

Louis Moholo-Moholo Quartet

Jason Yarde, ss, as, bars; AH, p; John Edwards, b; Louis Moholo-Moholo, d

Looking forward to that very much. And on a Friday!

Will be great to see you!!!

I can't wait for this one...Louis was on simply awesome form last month when we did a few things...

BTW - did you happen to catch any of the EMF this last weekend?

I did. Attended a couple of very enjoyable concerts in Silk Hall - a string orchestra that opened my ears to Alwyn's Sinfonietta for Strings and a marvellous quartet/quintet concert doing Britten/Ireland/Elgar. I prefer the concerts there as you have good sight lines whereas in the Abbey the orchestra is crushed at the end.

The only disappointment was the new commissions concert in the Abbey where the new commissions were very tame. You need to organise an equivalent to Evan Parker's Freezone at the old Appleby there, Alex! Might bring the average age of attendance below 80!

Looking forward to the solo record.

I did. Attended a couple of very enjoyable concerts in Silk Hall - a string orchestra that opened my ears to Alwyn's Sinfonietta for Strings and a marvellous quartet/quintet concert doing Britten/Ireland/Elgar. I prefer the concerts there as you have good sight lines whereas in the Abbey the orchestra is crushed at the end.

The only disappointment was the new commissions concert in the Abbey where the new commissions were very tame. You need to organise an equivalent to Evan Parker's Freezone at the old Appleby there, Alex! Might bring the average age of attendance below 80!

Looking forward to the solo record.

Interesting - to be completely honest, I'm not sure I even knew the Alwyn existed! Yes, the sight lines in that space are fantastic - and I always think the sound is particular kind to strings...a shame I was away for most of the weekend.

Actually - that's not a bad thought about trying to organise a Freezone-type thing...I may drop them a line...it being my home turf, I'm sure I can scare up a contact address from somewhere!

• 1 month later...

Careful Alex, don't step on those LPs (sound of vinyl hounds weeping in despair)!

Interesting article - good to hear of the imminent (?) Babel releases

Don't worry...they're safe...strictly for show :)

Yes, and I hope Babel Label releases them as LPs - they did a great job with Catatumbo. BTW, the new Convergence Quartet is one of the very best things I've heard this year. It got a great review on Stef's Free Jazz blog.

Thanks so much for the kind comments about the Convergence Quartet! I love that band...looking forward to a short tour later in the year!

I'm afraid the Babel releases are going to be CD only. But I completely agree with you about their vinyl, which I think is really nicely produced...maybe I'll have to discuss the next thing with them :)

Nice article in Jazzwise this month.

Like the 'Bringing it All Back Home' photo!

Thanks Bev!

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thank you! It's a fun band for sure...we did a short tour just before Christmas, and it was a LOT of fun...Dom is really an amazing musician...

I was bummed, because when I ordered it, it was only listed as a download. Then shortly thereafter, they added the CD but it was too late. Please tell Babel Label to indicate if a CD or LP version is coming!