Marcus Strickland

Tom 1960

While attending the Fred Hersch show last night, I ran into my neighbors from down the street who I never had any idea were jazz fans. In our conversations they recommended I attend the Marcus Strickland show in April. They seemed to be pretty positive on him. I have to admit I really know nothing of the guy, although I'm definitely curious. What do you guys think? He's performing in a trio which should be interesting.

I've seen him a couple of times--with Tom Harrell at the Village Vanguard, he was the weakest and least original member of the band. And with Horaace Arnold, who actually expressed some displeasure with the saxophonists level of development. So unless he's improved alot over the last two or three years, a group under his leadership might prove to be a dull concert.

I have enjoyed what I have heard from him this far - in particular his playing with Roy Haynes. He is not breaking any new ground and still has not found a definately distinctive voice, but he is a solid player who is still developing.

Are you confusing Marcus Strickland with Jaleel Shaw?

I have enjoyed what I have heard from him this far - in particular his playing with Roy Haynes. He is not breaking any new ground and still has not found a definately distinctive voice, but he is a solid player who is still developing.

No. Strickland preceeded Shaw in Haynes' band.

Edited by relyles

No. Strickland preceeded Shaw in Haynes' band.

I thought that might prove my point about his non-distinctive playing, but once again the facts have undermined one of my hypotheses!

Edited by kh1958