Wardrobe Malfunction

Well The Who were as mediocre as I expected them to be. Makes me wonder what Pete Townshend circa 1965 would have thought if he could have seen Pete Townshend circa 2010. No, on second thought, I don't really want to know. Also, someone should have been put in charge of making sure Pete was all buttoned up before hit the stage. He was flashing a little too much skin for my taste.

I saw the Who on the very first farewell tour, circa 1982 or 83. They've been saying farewell for the past 25+ years but refuse to go away.

I thought Roger looked and sounded better than I would have expected.

Pete looked like someone's drunken grandfather doing Karaoke. He probably is someone's drunken grandfather doing Karaoke. So much for his attempt to re-invent himself as tweed-wearing author/publisher in the 1980s.

I couldn't help but wonder how the Super Bowl crowd would have reacted if they went out and did "A Quick One" and then left the stage.

Did I see Simon or one of Pete's younger brothers playing in the band?

Packing it in back in 1982 or '83 would have been sufficient.

It was '82. In his infinite wisdom, Pete picked the Clash to open. Oy!

That's kind of interesting. I'm guessing Townshend may have seen a bit of the early Who in those boys. Nonetheless, a questionable decision, and that's being kind.

Jeez, rough room.

I didn't think they were bad last night, so much as I thought that the old material didn't suit Roger and Pete's voices anymore. The material on "Endless Wire" was quite good and suited Roger's current vocal style quite well ("Mike Post Theme", "A Man In A Purple Dress").

I think the Who are a great band and have always been a great band, even through their ups and downs. Not many bands could lose Keith Moon and John Entwistle and still soldier on as well as they have.

And I think Zack Starkey is a very good drummer, has filled Keith's seat very well, and has done is dad proud...

The Who, Janet Jackson's titty...what's the difference? Both are well past their prime.

What current act would have been more relevant? Some severely auto-tuned Miami-style booty track? Perhaps they could have brought out Queen Latifah and that Grammy-laden American Idol detritus they had butcher the national anthem for an encore.

In all fairness, I was watching the SB with a bunch of drunk 40-somethings and they were all STOKED on The Who. One guy had his air guitar working OT, along with some energetic leg kicks. Many exchanged words on how good the Who still sounded, and one even went so far as to say, "best SB half time show ever."

The Who, Janet Jackson's titty...what's the difference? Both are well past their prime.

What current act would have been more relevant? Some severely auto-tuned Miami-style booty track? Perhaps they could have brought out Queen Latifah and that Grammy-laden American Idol detritus they had butcher the national anthem for an encore.

In all fairness, I was watching the SB with a bunch of drunk 40-somethings and they were all STOKED on The Who. One guy had his air guitar working OT, along with some energetic leg kicks. Many exchanged words on how good the Who still sounded, and one even went so far as to say, "best SB half time show ever."

It sure beat the hell out of the pop pablum the SB has foisted upon us before, eh?

The SB guys could have easily gone with Mariah Carey or some other hip-Hop crap.

I think we file this one under: Count Your Blesings.

Edited by GoodSpeak

I thought Pete was leaning into itba little bit with the Stratocaster. I don't know... Nowhere near as lame as I'd expected. He was packing in some guitar parts here and there that didn't feel stock. That, along with the killer light show (I mean seriously! Did you even know something like that was possible?), the painted cymbals, and the onside kick to open the second half, I thought they did their job.

I wasn't lucky enough to get the Clash as opening act at the show I saw.

The only memorable part of the evening was when they did "Tattoo" from "Sell Out." Audience response was tepid, predictably.

You were lucky NOT to see the Clash! I'm guessing Pete was trying to perpetuate that mod v. rocker crap. Rebellion and all that other stuff.

I'm with Alexander. Sure, it was a bit rough, but it was real - and hell, the guys are like 65 years old now! Least we know they weren't using Autotune.

Agreed. I also think it was one of the best halftime shows since U2's inspiring performance after 9/11. Granted, there's been a lotta crap in those intervening years, thus lowering the bar considerably.

BUT, like Ray sez: it was real. It was from the heart. Townshend looked like he was having the time of his life, and if the Townshend of the 60's had seen this and stormed the stage (which he would've had every right to do), I don't know that the old Townshend could take him down, but it'd be a helluva fight. Cometothinkofit, I believe that fight goes on in Pete's head every day!

Look, I saw 'em in '89. The only reason that show was worth the bread was being able to see my hero Entwistle live. I pretty much focused on him the whole show, because the rest of the show, band, ensemble, song selection SUCKED. Left a real bad taste in my mouth and I truly figured them to be done. Sunday night not only showed that they still had the energy, but also the heart.

I believe a big part of that is the newfound empathy between Daltrey & Townshend. Did anyone see that "Amazing Journey" documentary? The last bit documenting how Roger and Pete became much closer after John's death was particularly moving. I was almost in tears when they showed Roger & Pete performing "Tea & Theater" alone.

When this is all you've done for almost 50 years, it's nice to be able to still do it, if not well then at least with guts & balls. Hope they die before they get old? Well, now their old, but instead of dying, it would appear that they're looking back, and saying "FUCK YOU!" Or, to paraphrase a song from The Who By Numbers, "Hi all you punks, I'm old but I'm spry, hand me my checkbook and here's mud in your eye!"

The old farts are alright, baby!

Edited by Big Al

Packing it in back in 1982 or '83 would have been sufficient.

It was '82. In his infinite wisdom, Pete picked the Clash to open. Oy!

OH yeah, was there!

I was still a "rocker" but "appreciated" the Clash in 1982, but man, they got crucified at the Dome. I almost forgot about the "should I stay or should I go" part. All of the Silverdome: "Go!"

Eddie Money got off OK though.

http://homepage.mac.com/blackmarketclash/Bands/Clash/recordings/1982/82-09-30%20Silverdome/82-09-30%20Silverdome.html