Another Miles Box ...

mikeweil

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have this all on vinyl, some of which is a little worn... so... I thought maybe I'd get the 14 CD set... can anyone confirm which masterings were used? and... do they really have those OJC logos on the covers?? (yeah it's all about the music etc., but aesthetics of presentation are important too...)

I have this all on vinyl, some of which is a little worn... so... I thought maybe I'd get the 14 CD set... can anyone confirm which masterings were used? and... do they really have those OJC logos on the covers?? (yeah it's all about the music etc., but aesthetics of presentation are important too...)

Original OJC mastering from the late 80s/early 90s. Yes, I'm afraid the OJC logo does appear on all the sleeves. These only have the front covers with white back covers listing tunes, dates, credits and mastering credits.

Anyone who doesn't think this latest incarnation of Miles' Prestige output is a terrible "conception" is in "denial". I see no logic whatsoever in this 14 CD monstrosity. There's no chronological order consistency whatsoever, witness for example, the four track session with Dave Schildkraut being split into two discs ("I'll Remember April" opening CD4 while, the other three tracks are placed in CD5). While I retain much Miles Prestige vinyl, I do dig the 8 CD box set that came out 2 decades ago, along with the Coltrane 16 CD box that contains his sideman work with Miles. That's enough forever.

Thanks for the input so far, guys. My point is that I am used to the albums as issued on vinyl so at the right price this set would work for me as being easier to navigate than the chronological set which I never purchased. That said, reports of the mastering and artwork issues are putting me off...

Early Fantasy OJC mastering is actually quite good when compared to early Blue Note, Columbia and Impulse cd's. This was just a cheap way for Concord to get the OJC's back into the marketplace through their new association with Universal Distribution. There's also a similar 8 cd Sonny Rollins Prestige set and an 8 cd Duke Carnegie Hall set. I'm sure others will follow.

Early Fantasy OJC mastering is actually quite good when compared to early Blue Note, Columbia and Impulse cd's. This was just a cheap way for Concord to get the OJC's back into the marketplace through their new association with Universal Distribution. There's also a similar 8 cd Sonny Rollins Prestige set and an 8 cd Duke Carnegie Hall set. I'm sure others will follow.

Hm. Well I *may* go for it - and in any case modern remasterings don't generally find much favor with me either...