Another Miles Box ...

mikeweil

Jazz Echo just sent some info on a new Miles Davis Box including all the Prestige Albums on 14 CDs, the tracklists on the page I linked to look like it's all original LPs.

I don't see any reason for this, especially since the old box covered the sideman dates as well on just 8 CDs and the sessions with Trane are available in a box with 4 CDs ... :rolleyes:

Link: http://www.jazzecho....restige-albums/

Edited by mikeweil

I don't see any reason for this, especially since the old box covered the sideman dates as well on just 8 CDs and the sessions with Trane are available in a box with 4 CDs ...   :rolleyes:

I have the "Chronicle: Complete Prestige Recordings" and I'm pretty sure that contains everything (including the Coltrane sessions) all in one box. No reason to buy the seperate 4 CD Prestige Miles/Trane set or this new one as far as I can tell.

Well, I did get the fairly recent 4CD set w/Trane and stacked up on the single OJCs.

The session w/Monk & Bags is of course covered in the Monk Prestige 3CD set.

So I still have much of this on CDs that are reissues of original albums (12 inch albums that is... some of the early material would have to be presented on much shorter discs if they'd stick to the original 10 inch or singles or whatever releases...)

I don't see any reason for this, especially since the old box covered the sideman dates as well on just 8 CDs and the sessions with Trane are available in a box with 4 CDs ...   :rolleyes:

I have the "Chronicle: Complete Prestige Recordings" and I'm pretty sure that contains everything (including the Coltrane sessions) all in one box. No reason to buy the seperate 4 CD Prestige Miles/Trane set or this new one as far as I can tell.

None of the tracks on disc 4 of the Miles Legendary Quintet Sessions box were included on Chronicle. Also, the 4 CD set was newly remastered, but I haven't compared it with the old 1993 set. I got rid of the Chronicle set a long time ago and still have this stuff about two or three different ways.

What I don't quite get is that someone in some other thread said this wasn't legit but a rip-off from some Euro label... jazzecho.de is Universal's German page, and it gives Concord as the label (Universal is the distributor of Concord in Europe). Also someone (else) said the albums with Coltrane weren't included... of course they are (CD11-14).

uhm, discs 10-14 or course, including "Miles" or whatever it's title was.

and to me, having the stuff on disc 4 of the "Legendary Quintet" set official was enough to get it, eventually (I never had "Chronicles" though, I'd have had more doubts if I owned that one, I guess...)

and to me, having the stuff on disc 4 of the "Legendary Quintet" set official was enough to get it, eventually (I never had "Chronicles" though, I'd have had more doubts if I owned that one, I guess...)

Interesting...I didn't realize that the "Legendary Quintet" set had some unreleased stuff on Disc 4. But, after reading the following review (below) from allaboutjazz, I'm still not sure I need this. Might just live without it. The "Chronicle" set does have all the studio cuts that made up the Walkin, Relaxin', etc. albums. Probably all I really need.

"In some ways the fourth disc is a disposable add-on. Taken from a television broadcast on The Tonight Show with Steve Allen in November, 1955, a radio broadcast from The Blue Note in Philadelphia in December, 1956, and at New York's Café Bohemia in May, 1958, the sound quality is adequate at best."

What I don't quite get is that someone in some other thread said this wasn't legit but a rip-off from some Euro label... jazzecho.de is Universal's German page, and it gives Concord as the label (Universal is the distributor of Concord in Europe). Also someone (else) said the albums with Coltrane weren't included... of course they are (CD11-14).

Hey, I was the one who made that erroneous claim about the set being not legit, where/when I saw it listed it said nothing of Concord and i thought it was just another out of copyright rehashing. I was wrong. I apologize.

That said, this set holds no interest to me, I have the original Prestige box set and I have all these session in XRCD or K2 issues and I know when to stop in this instance. :)

Hey, I was the one who made that erroneous claim about the set being not legit, where/when I saw it listed it said nothing of Concord and i thought it was just another out of copyright rehashing. I was wrong. I apologize.

That said, this set holds no interest to me, I have the original Prestige box set and I have all these session in XRCD or K2 issues and I know when to stop in this instance. :)

You stopped?? Lon? YOU? That's it; the Maya were right, the world really must be coming to an end!! :D

gregmo

You stopped?? Lon? YOU? That's it; the Maya were right, the world really must be coming to an end!! :D

gregmo

:g

No problem, Lon! I just wanted to get it right in the right place :)

This new set holds no interest for me either (I didn't even check if they skip the session from "Conceptions" or if they added it to the disc holding another album, since mostly this seems to be one album per disc, which is a bit ridiculous as most of these albums run short of 40 minutes and even with pairing two on a disc, you'd not need to switch discs in the middle of an album...

Sure, as I said: just trying to get things right! :)

In fact, I have these moments of reissue-weariness, too, but with this box it seemed like a collective outburst of it, so several posters didn't check the facts before posting "info" about it... I can fully sympathize, as this reissue really isn't needed at all!

A smaller set compiling the 51-53 sessions on the other hand might have been nice, even though we'd all own it already as well, but it might focus on a lesser known (and one of the least succesful, at least speaking of studio sessions) periods of Miles, and hence might have been interesting.

With the Miles/Rollins 2CD set and the Quintet 4CD set, this new one is really a joke!

(And mind me, I didn't get the Miles/Rollins set neither, as I have the Rollins Prestige set!)

If one looks closely at the pictures of the box, one can see those ridiculous "Original Jazz Classics" logos on the album covers. This implies to me that Universal/Concord just repressed old masterings of the cd's. Hopefully someone can confirm otherwise.

That might well be... thankfully, Universal has repressed lots of OJCCDs in the past two years or so, since they became the distributor or Concord over here. Of course much of the stuff they repressed was to be expected (Basie, Miles, Coltrane, Peterson) but there was plenty of good stuff as well (When Farmer Met Gryce, the Teddy Charles/Mingus disc, to name but two) that I had no hopes of seing back in print.

Anyway, of course it's even sillier to just wrap a cardboard box around 14 straight OJCs!