iPod docking station

sal

I have a Monitor Audio "iDeck" --- the first one with the separate speakers. Functions as an excellent mini-stereo, great sound, rich and big for a small item. It was discontinued about three years ago and on sale a number of places for about 150. Well worth that price. Not sure if it can be found now, but worth a look.

Very inexpensive but great sound for a small self-contained (i.e., no separate speakers) unit is the Insignia iPod Dock, model #NS-B3112, available at Best Buy for around $65. I bought it when I saw a fellow consumer attach his iPod to it and while listening to it, he remarked how much better it sounded than the pricier Sony model beside it. I asked him to re-test the Sony to show me, and sure enough, the cheaper Insignia did sound fuller.

never heard this but saw it at the Apple store and it seems as substantial as it looks. No separation of speekers tho.

iHome iP1

review

my wife has one of those JBL "loop" things and it cranks big time!

There was a favorable review of the iHome system shown in the link, in Jazz Times. I went to an Apple store and listened to it, and then bought it. We like it a lot at home. It has much better sound than the other iPod home docking stations we had tried. In fact, it is the first docking station I have heard that is at all satisfactory, in terms of sound.

Now it is not nearly as good as my big time component stereo system, but as iPod docking stations go, it has the best sound I have heard.