Billie Holiday Box Set on Verve

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which box?

A six-CD set in a metal box a little smaller than a lunch box, with a fold-out accordion digipack monstrosity holding the disc. Hideous illustrations, bulky design. Not sure when it came out or if there is a better one now. I found it sealed on-line some time ago for a cheap price.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

I usually like hearing music in chronological order on box sets, but they clearly went overboard on this one when they programmed in all the long rehearsals instead of putting them at the end of the box, or leaving them out altogether. I wonder what Billie would have thought about the release of the rehearsals, private phone phone calls, etc? It is not as if they add much to her artistic legacy.

Ironically, I started listening to Billie on Verve a lot less after I bought this box. Now, in the iTunes age, I have made playlists of what I like to hear.

Edited by John L

I usually like hearing music in chronological order on box sets, but they clearly went overboard on this one when they programmed in all the long rehearsals instead of putting them at the end of the box, or leaving them out altogether. I wonder what Billie would have thought about the release of the rehearsals, private phone phone calls, etc? It is not as if they add much to her artistic legacy.

Ironically, I started listening to Billie on Verve a lot less after I bought this box. Now, in the iTunes age, I have made playlists of what I like to hear.

I think you're describing the 10-disc set. The 6 disc set in the lunchbox case (which I have) doesn't have phone calls and such on it; just master takes.

I do agree with TTK about the packaging. Simply berserk and over-the-top. Don't forget the sunburst die-cut sleeve which holds the booklet, that is guaranteed to bend and tear unless you never pull the booklet out.

Unfortunately Universal Music has consistently designed impractical boxed sets in recent years. Whether scratching the CDs on cardboard when removing them, having open top sleeves to let dust in, or the microscopic fonts used for liner notes, they obviously haven't learned from Mosaic. At least the music is decent.

I have that "tin box" one and the packaging doesn't bother me. I also have the ten cd set with the fat cases. I wish I had the earlier version of that with the lp facsimile sleeves, that's a handsome set.

Great great music.

I have what I think is the "handsome set"-- it does have the lp facsimile sleeves. It's alittle difficult to get the books (one for cds one for notes) in and out of the box without bending the envelope with the facsimiles. (I think I just bent them checking out what I had.)

I have that "tin box" one and the packaging doesn't bother me. I also have the ten cd set with the fat cases. I wish I had the earlier version of that with the lp facsimile sleeves, that's a handsome set.

Great great music.

I have what I think is the "handsome set"-- it does have the lp facsimile sleeves. It's alittle difficult to get the books (one for cds one for notes) in and out of the box without bending the envelope with the facsimiles. (I think I just bent them checking out what I had.)

I leave the book with the notes out of the box. I feel that if I try to force both in it, the box will split. When I got it, I had to struggle to get the first book out of the box. A design that looked good but wasn't practical in usage.

Edited by paul secor

I bought both box sets. I got the first one back in 1992 when I was first getting into jazz. I had even less money back then than I do now, and I considered the set an expensive lesson learned. Really frustrating to have to spend that much time skipping around to the finished tracks from the studio sessions.

The packaging was attractive, and my only real complaint was that it was too hard to hold the book open to read it for any length of time because of the way it was bound. I've also never been a fan of storing CDs in hard-cardboard sleeves. If they fit tightly, you have to pinch the edges of the discs with your fingers to pull them out; and if they fit loosely they can just fall out (I think it was the former with this set).

I bought the six-disc set to get all the studio masters in one place and hear how the remastering sounds. I've gotten much more enjoyment out of this metal box than the older set. Agree about the unsightly packaging, though. The disc art is funny: more appropriate to '90s techno than Lady Day.

I made my own 2-CD set of the live recordings from the original box.

Edited by Joe Bip

I am listening now to this box set.

From both the visual aesthetic and structural standpoints, this has to be the most diabolical box set I have ever held in my hands.

Great music though.

Worse than the Evans Verve :rfr

The EVANS RUST BOX!! Slowly I turn...step by step...inch by inch....

gregmo

I kind of like the design. Actually, if you think about it, compare it to the Mosaic boxes. Unnecessarily large, unimaginative in that they all look almost exactly the same and use boring jewel cases, lacking color, etc. etc.

Is this a response to my crack about the Evans box? If so, I think you're putting me on, but I'll bite. The large size of the Mosaic boxes permits larger photographs in the booklets, and the black and white is beautiful. The best photos ever taken of jazz musicians are in black and white, especially of most of those to whom the big boxes are devoted. As for the Evans box, nasty to open, hard to get the discs out, liners impossible to read. I long ago repackaged the cds in "boring jewel cases" and threw the box in a box...to rust away. I think most would agree that it represents the nadir of "high concept" packaging for reissues.

gregmo

I kind of like the design. Actually, if you think about it, compare it to the Mosaic boxes. Unnecessarily large, unimaginative in that they all look almost exactly the same and use boring jewel cases, lacking color, etc. etc.

Is this a response to my crack about the Evans box? If so, I think you're putting me on, but I'll bite. The large size of the Mosaic boxes permits larger photographs in the booklets, and the black and white is beautiful. The best photos ever taken of jazz musicians are in black and white, especially of most of those to whom the big boxes are devoted. As for the Evans box, nasty to open, hard to get the discs out, liners impossible to read. I long ago repackaged the cds in "boring jewel cases" and threw the box in a box...to rust away. I think most would agree that it represents the nadir of "high concept" packaging for reissues.

gregmo

Well put. I also like the Mosaic design very much, with their beautiful photographs; black and white just catches the atmosphere perfectly.

Edited by J.A.W.

gregmo

I was actually being serious. I love Mosaic but wish they would be more adventurous with their packaging, to be honest, although I agree that the best jazz photographs are in black and white. My favorite packaging for box sets are the Miles metal spine boxes put out by Columbia.