Brian Blade

Chrome

I don't really know all that much about Brian Blade and what plans he has for the future in regard to his work as a leader, but, in my opinion, he gave one of the best definitions of what it means, as a drummer, to play with people as opposed to "just playing" drums for someone or in a band. Talking about his recordings with Joni Mitchell and Wayne Shorter, he said:

"But most times, with Joni or with Wayne, it's always this dance, you know what I mean? You figure that the other person knows their steps, so you don't step on each other's toes. Just have a good time."

In my eyes it is exactly this kind of approach that separates a good drummer from the rest.

The quote is taken from an interview conducted by The Onion A. V. Club in January of 2001 (Volume 37 Issue 02) and is available online.

Cheers!

I remember a while back Jazzmatazz listed a new album by Blade to be released in 2004 under the Marsalis label. But who knows now.

Brian Blade is in my opinion the finest drummer of his generation. In any musical situation, he always plays perfectly.

http://www.ejazznews.com/modules.php?op=mo...order=0&thold=0

Above is a review of a recent show by the BB Fellowship. One of the highlights for me this year was seeing Brian backing Wolfgang Muthspiel at Whelans here in Dublin last winter. Brian did'nt look too enthralled to be playing in such a tiny venue, and maybe the damp weather was not to his liking. Still, this did'nt stop him playing a blinder and, let's be frank, stealing the show.

• 6 years later...

Does anyone know whatever happened to the drummer Brian Blade? I mean, as far as recording as a leader? I loved the two Brian Blade Fellowship CDs, but the last one came out in 2000.

That's not right. Blade's Fellowship band released Season Of Changes a couple years ago. personally i think it's not as good as the band's previous two recordings but it's still an excellent record. in my mind the previous two are both classics and it's difficult to keep it at a level that high for too long in terms of recordings. it's another story live: i have no doubt that they are spectacular to see every night they play.

i don't have Mama Rose yet but i've heard it's more in the singer/songwriter vein and will eventually get my hands on it.

Edited by thedwork

• 1 year later...

I simply cannot stop listening to these first three Brian Blade Fellowship albums.

The other day, I watched that "Icons Among Us" on Netflix streaming. Blade's band was one of the groups in the spotlight. I went to Rdio and haven't stopped listening yet.

I remember when they came out, and even listening to some samples at the time. Didn't catch my ear then. Now it won't let go.

The steel guitar on the first two is positively magical, both in a solo and textural position.

I saw Kenny Garrett with Pat Metheny back in 1996. Tain was supposed to be the drummer. When it was announced that he couldn't make it, I was initially disappointed. With Blade in the drum chair, my disappointment quickly subsided. He is fantastic!!! I have since seen him with David Binney at the 55 Bar several times.

and what fun he is to watch!

But he's so dour and reserved...

I saw Kenny Garrett with Pat Metheny back in 1996. Tain was supposed to be the drummer. When it was announced that he couldn't make it, I was initially disappointed. With Blade in the drum chair, my disappointment quickly subsided. He is fantastic!!! I have since seen him with David Binney at the 55 Bar several times.

Watts and Blade are almost polar opposites stylistically to my ears, so I'm guessing the character of the band was very different than it would have been with Tain.

and what fun he is to watch!

But he's so dour and reserved...

Watts and Blade are almost polar opposites stylistically to my ears, so I'm guessing the character of the band was very different than it would have been with Tain.

I'll never know for sure, but you're probably right. In any case, things worked out pretty well with Blade in the drum chair, and Kenny certainly had enough personality to make up for the missing Watts. Garrett seems to have learned his lessons about making jazz more accessible to the masses well from his time with Miles in the 80s. There definitely is a "showman" component to his act, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I saw Lanois and Brian Blade play a duo show in San Francisco at a small venue (Great American Music Hall) several years ago that was pretty awesome. Daniel Lanois was playing mostly guitar and triggering bass and other sounds but towards the end he sat down at the pedal steel and did some amazingly dreamy stuff including a track from his collaboration with Eno on Apollo (Atmospheres and Soundtracks).