Nominations for future "albums of the week"

Rooster_Ties

I second the suggestion of Blowin' In From Chicago; also Jody Grind or Minor Moove.

As for me, how about

Gettin' Around--Dexter Gordon

Arts & Crafts--Matt Wilson

Riding the Nuclear Tiger--Ben Allison

Soul Food--Cyrus Chestnut, or (dare I say it)

Confict!--Jimmy Woods

I also like the idea Africabrass had of a thread focusing on a particular era/artist per week. Coleman Hawkins' work of the '30s was an example; I'm sure everyone could think of more.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stretching the limits a bit, chronologically and stylistically...

Some Lester w/Basie from late thirties, or Jones-Smith, Inc.

Some Lester w/Billie

Anthony Braxton - For Alto

Mezz Mezzrow - Pick it

Definitely some Satchmo

ODJB

Second: Ornette circa 1959

Looking forward to starting to participate.

Is the full Jones-Smith session on some in-print CD? Never managed to find all the tunes from the Jones-Smith session.

Is the full Jones-Smith session on some in-print CD? Never managed to find all the tunes from the Jones-Smith session.

this entire session was released on Count Basie Masters of Jazz volume 3. These Masters of Jazz series are now out of print, I believe, but still possible to locate. All 11 Masters of Jazz volumes of Count Basie are highly worthwhile. They gather together extensive live broadcasts, mostly in good sound, along with all studio tracks. It is really too bad that Masters of Jazz had to cut the series off in 1939. Some great Basie broadcasts only available on rare LPs were coming up. Who knows when they will ever be released now?

d00259pfax2.jpg

Could I suggest, as a special 50th anniversary AOTW, the Quintet at Massey Hall?

Red,

pryan is the current nominee to choose a new album of the week (May 18-24). Maybe you can lobby him to choose the album or to choose you to pick for the following week.

:rsmile:

• 5 weeks later...

My first real post 'round here...

| Paul Horn, SOMETHING BLUE -- anybody ever archive the old BN BBS thread we started on this album? Joe Christmas?

| Webster Young, FOR LADY

f31746k52jo.jpg

| Air, AIR TIME

| Jeanne Lee / Ran Blake, THE NEWEST SOUND AROUND

| Four Giants of Swing [Joe Venuti / Jethro Burns / Curley Chalker / Eldon Shamblin), S'WONDERFUL

c68385e912u.jpg

| Frank Lowe, EXOTIC HEARTBREAK

Guest Mnytime

How about something from say this century? ;)

If that is too modern how about the last 10-20 years? ;)

Instead of just having one CD a week from only the Bop/Hard Bop years, how about having two CDs a week.

1. One Reissue of the Week.

2. One From the Last 20-25 Year Period

Edited by Mnytime

B3er's pick this week was a very recent CD. Sadly, it's not seemed to gather a lot of attention. To be honest, the newer the CD, the less likely people are to have it in their collection unless it's the latest by a legend.

IMHO the AOTW has represented a fairly broad spectrum so far. From Armstong to Weather Report to "Olive Tree".....

Guest Mnytime

IMHO the AOTW has represented a fairly broad spectrum so far.

Yea, picks Crouch/WM would love everyone to make. :g:g:g:g

How about Roscoe Mitchell's Snurdy McGurdy and Her Dancin' Shoes?

Edited by Mnytime

IMHO the AOTW has represented a fairly broad spectrum so far.

Yea, picks Crouch/WM would love everyone to make. :g:g:g:g

How about Roscoe Mitchell's Snurdy McGurdy and Her Dancin' Shoes?

...I think Jsngry was going to pick that, but he opted to the W.C. Handy/Armstrong instead. I think you might have missed your chance until Chuck gets picked ;)

But seriously, you never know what people will pick. The "fringe" hasn't gotten it's due yet, but it's probably a good representation of how the pie chart slices up as far as tastes go. I'm not sure how much action a great album like Spiritual Unity would get around here, but I'm sure we'll find out soon enough. :D

A nomination:

I have been savoring what I have come to feel is a very under-appreciated but pivotal album in the "inside/out" jazz of the late 60's: Max Roach, MEMBERS, DON'T GET WEARY (Atlantic, 1968). Roach, Bartz, Tolliver, Jymie Merritt, Cowell, and an Andy Bey vocal on the title track only. This one deserves close attention and discussion.

In a similar ilk, I like Templejazz's nomination of Lee Morgan's LAST SESSION a WHOLE lot.

For somewhat more "modern" recordings, a few that come quickly to mind as candidates:

Jon Jang - TWO FLOWERS ON A STEM (Soul Note)

George Cables - NIGHT AND DAY (DIW)

Stephen Scott - RENAISSANCE (Verve) - not nearly enough discussion of this young master

Harvey Wainapel - THE HANG (Spirit Nectar) - this one's obscure to many but trust me it is one KILLER album

Henry Threadgill - CARRY THE DAY (Columbia)

Edited by DrJ

A nomination:

I have been savoring what I have come to feel is a very under-appreciated but pivotal album in the "inside/out" jazz of the late 60's: Max Roach, MEMBERS, DON'T GET WEARY (Atlantic, 1968). Roach, Bartz, Tolliver, Jymie Merritt, Cowell, and an Andy Bey vocal on the title track only. This one deserves close attention and discussion.

Funny you should mention this, I saw this at a local Tower today and passed it up. It certainly looks VERY intriguing and the lineup is top notch. I certainly would love to hear Tolliver in this setting.

Next time I guess.

My suggestion would be this: Instead of an "Album of the Week", have The Album of the Month. This would allow for more detailed listening and comments, as well as giving people a chance to buy the cd if it's not already in their collection (only about half the AOTW's have been in mine). There is also the fact that sometimes people are not able to listen a cd until the weekend.

My suggestion would be this: Instead of an "Album of the Week", have The Album of the Month. This would allow for more detailed listening and comments, as well as giving people a chance to buy the cd if it's not already in their collection (only about half the AOTW's have been in mine). There is also the fact that sometimes people are not able to listen a cd until the weekend.

Thats a good shout - I'll second that.

I can understand your suggestion but the fact is that none of these threads are ever closed-if you get the CD two weeks later you are free to post your reactions whenever you wish to. Witness the fact that the Armstrong CD got reviews two weeks after its "run" ended.