Black Saint/Soul Note Box Sets

romualdo

Have just moved this thread over from recommendations since we are dealing with box sets

CAM will be releasing (or may have already released) 4 box sets - Charlie Haden, Enrico Rava, Henry Threadgill and Enrico Pieranunzi

Looks like we will have a plethora of Threadgill/Air material (Black Saint & Mosaic sets) in the near future - looking forward to that

Regarding the recent BS/SN boxed sets, below is a reply I just received from CAM

Dear Stephen,

thank you for you email.

Concerning the Box Set collection, including albums by some of the artist who partecipated in the success of Soul Note & Black Saint (Charlie Haden, Enrico Rava, Henry Threadgill and Enrico Pieranunzi) ,will be in Exclusive Distribution of HARMONIA MUNDI IINTRANTIONAL.

For information: info.arles@harmoniamundi.com

Best Regards

Simone

C.A.M. S.r.l.

(Mr.) Simone Vendittelli

(Export Department)

THE COMPLETEREMASTERED RECORDINGS ON BLACK SAINT & SOUL NOTE

1. CHARLIE HADEN 5 CD SET BXS 1001

OLD AND NEW DREAMS

A TRIBUTE TO BLACKWELL

ETUDES

SILENCE

FIRST SONG

2. ENRICO RAVA 5 CD SET BXS 1002

IL GIRO DEL GIORNO IN 80 MONDI

ANDANADA

RAVA STRING BAND

SECRETS

ELECTRIC FIVE

3. THREADGILL 7 CD SET BXS 1003

LIVE AIR

AIR MAIL

LIVE AT MONTREAL INTERNATIONAL JAZZ FESTIVAL

AIR SHOW NO. 1

SPIRIT OF NUFF...NUFF

SONG OUT OF MY TREES

FLUTISTRY

4. ENRICO PIERANUNZI 6 CD SET BXS 1004

ISIS

DEEP DOWN

NO MAN’S LAND

FLUX AND CHANGE

SEAWARD

MA L’AMORE NO

• Replies 948
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm really surprised at this. I can understand record companies still pitching 'boutique' sets of Miles Davis, given his cache beyond jazz. But this music is insider stuff. It's available as CD and as download. Surely it would make sense to just get some good quality discographical information/notes together and have it available for download? I'd have thought all this fancy packaging was a thing of the pre-download age.

Good lord, even the reactionaries on the Gramophone hi-fi pages are backing away from their anti-download stance.

I'm really surprised at this. I can understand record companies still pitching 'boutique' sets of Miles Davis, given his cache beyond jazz. But this music is insider stuff. It's available as CD and as download. Surely it would make sense to just get some good quality discographical information/notes together and have it available for download? I'd have thought all this fancy packaging was a thing of the pre-download age.

Good lord, even the reactionaries on the Gramophone hi-fi pages are backing away from their anti-download stance.

Maybe the idea is to stimulate demand by selling the box sets at budget prices? (The supposed reasoning being, sure, nobody's buying individual discs at $16.98 these days, but maybe you'll buy a 7-disc set for under $40, netting the label money they wouldn't have made otherwise.) One can only hope...

• 4 weeks later...

Jazzloft advertised these today in their regular email blast. The 7-disc sets are $60, the 6-disc ones are $55, and the 5-disc ones are $50. Not quite the deal I was hoping for, but still significantly cheaper than the typical BS/SN prices of at least $15 a disc.

Hey I'll take it.. esp. since I only had one of the Haden... :)

Jazzloft advertised these today in their regular email blast. The 7-disc sets are $60, the 6-disc ones are $55, and the 5-disc ones are $50. Not quite the deal I was hoping for, but still significantly cheaper than the typical BS/SN prices of at least $15 a disc.

On the Haden, I'd not put this up against the ECM Old and New Dreams, and I see that band as a more polite version of the Ornette Coleman quartet. The non-O&ND is Ok-ish.

On the Threadgill, I do like Air but don't know how much you need and find these a little undercharged, while the Nuff-Nuff group is OK and the other stuff I find dry.

The other sets I dunno. My 0.02 but much of the BS/SN material has gone cold on me after a period of eager accumulation. Not so great sonically unless they have gone in for remastering (um, and there's the usual Catch 22 right there...).

On the Threadgill, I do like Air but don't know how much you need and find these a little undercharged, while the Nuff-Nuff group is OK and the other stuff I find dry.

The other sets I dunno. My 0.02 but much of the BS/SN material has gone cold on me after a period of eager accumulation. Not so great sonically unless they have gone in for remastering (um, and there's the usual Catch 22 right there...).

According to Jazzloft they are remastered. I sprung for the Threadgill as I have only one title of the 7.

The Threadgill stuff is more than fine, imo. And at < $9.00 per CD and remastered (hopefully well), it's a helluva deal. This and the upcoming Mosiac make it possible to, in two fell swoops, to learn and/or "catch up" with one of the major-yet-relatively-unheralded "jazz" figures of our time.

Of course, that's just my opinion, and if anybody disagrees, well then, go right on ahead, you have the right.

To be wrong. :g

The box sets have just gone up for sale on the Black Saint site (www.camoriginalsoundtracks.com/site/index.php?site=&path=home)

They are selling for 27.96 euros or 38.83US $'s (all sets the same price) - what a great deal!! (just over $5.50 for each Threadgill disc)

The box sets have just gone up for sale on the Black Saint site (www.camoriginalsoundtracks.com/site/index.php?site=&path=home)

They are selling for 27.96 euros or 38.83US $'s (all sets the same price) - what a great deal!! (just over $5.50 for each Threadgill disc)

And they ship to the US, so at current exchange rates + ~$5 for shipping, that comes out to under $45 per set. Now that's more like it!

Just wanted to let everyone know that we got in our first shipment of Black Saint/Soul Note boxed sets. You can find them at The Jazz Loft.

Thanks! Alan

THE COMPLETEREMASTERED RECORDINGS ON BLACK SAINT & SOUL NOTE

1. CHARLIE HADEN 5 CD SET BXS 1001

OLD AND NEW DREAMS

A TRIBUTE TO BLACKWELL

ETUDES

SILENCE

FIRST SONG

2. ENRICO RAVA 5 CD SET BXS 1002

IL GIRO DEL GIORNO IN 80 MONDI

ANDANADA

RAVA STRING BAND

SECRETS

ELECTRIC FIVE

3. THREADGILL 7 CD SET BXS 1003

LIVE AIR

AIR MAIL

LIVE AT MONTREAL INTERNATIONAL JAZZ FESTIVAL

AIR SHOW NO. 1

SPIRIT OF NUFF...NUFF

SONG OUT OF MY TREES

FLUTISTRY

4. ENRICO PIERANUNZI 6 CD SET BXS 1004

ISIS

DEEP DOWN

NO MAN’S LAND

FLUX AND CHANGE

SEAWARD

MA L’AMORE NO

On the Haden, I'd not put this up against the ECM Old and New Dreams, and I see that band as a more polite version of the Ornette Coleman quartet. The non-O&ND is Ok-ish.

I'll disagree with David on Etudes - it's a great set with Haden, Geri Allen and Paul Motian. There's a superb version of "Lonely Woman" on it.

Anybody getting the Pieranunzi???

How is his work?

I like Pieranunzi but don't know this era other than on the Haden. I've seen him live a couple of times and greatly enjoyed. Like the recent sets on Cam Jazz (esp Live in Japan) anyone know any of these?

That's very good to know.. I just cancelled my jazzloft order and will order through CAM jazz...

thanks for the info!

I just nabbed the Threadgill and Rava sets from the CAM jazz website for $84 US dollars shipped. A much better deal than the jazzloft. We'll see how the whole shipping thing from Italy works out.