Black Saint/Soul Note Box Sets

romualdo

• Replies 948
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm going to definitely pick up the Threadgill box, very excited to get the e-mail from Jazzloft about this a few days ago. I have only a couple Threadgill titles in my collection currently but enjoy them quite a lot.

I'm planning to do pretty much just what Jim mentioned earlier in this thread - pick up the Black Saint/Soul Note and Mosaic Threadgill boxes and begin to explore his fascinating music in earnest.

Well, I learned today that this is a rolling program. Anthony Braxton, Cecil Taylor and Dave Douglas are among those slated for release.

Very cool about Taylor! I have none of his SoulNotes/BlackSaints so far!

Hemphill and Lacy would also be most welcome, not sure about Braxton, will have to look up what he did on that laben, I only have one or two of them, I think (Eugene comes to mind).

Well, I learned today that this is a rolling program. Anthony Braxton, Cecil Taylor and Dave Douglas are among those slated for release.

Very cool about Taylor! I have none of his SoulNotes/BlackSaints so far!

Hemphill and Lacy would also be most welcome, not sure about Braxton, will have to look up what he did on that laben, I only have one or two of them, I think (Eugene comes to mind).

The Braxtons include four quartets, one with George Lewis, one with Crispell, one with pianist David Rosenboom, and a fourth with Mal Waldron playing Monk. Apart from Eugene, there is another large ensemble recording with better personnel, and there is also one of those operas, I think, but I haven't heard it. The disk with Roach has Max's name first so is unlikely to be in there.

Maybe it was or maybe he didn't play on this section of the concert. In fact people might be surprised by this record [Olu Iwa] (currently $1.78 on amazon.com) which contains two tracks, the second 27 minutes of quartet with piano and marimba, the first 48 minutes said to be adding two saxes and trombone. But really both tracks are mainly about the piano-marimba group and the horns are intensively involved for a ten minute passage. I just played it and here is a trombone solo followed by a tenor solo which I believe is Wright. However for less than a dollar you can decide that for yourself!

FWIW, Rick Lopez' William Parker page has this:

http://www.bb10k.com/PARKER.disc.html#86.04.11

http://www.bb10k.com/PARKER.disc.html#86.04.12

Edited by David Ayers

It gets better

have just ordered through Grooves-Inc (www.grooves-inc.com/index.php) - have been using them for the past 8 months without a hitch

They are selling the sets for 23.89 euros & free shipping (for any order above 20 euros)

Got both Haden & Threadgill boxes for 47.78 euros (approx 64.58 US$)

Most of the online dealers have the sets being made available as from March 26

Thanks for the tip!

Couldn't pass up the Threadgill at that price.

Agh agh agh! I'm suffering from collectionism and list fever now. Scanning down that list I see the one David Murray title I never heard, the Tim Berne's I sold, the sheer quantity of titles by certain artists I never realised were out there. You can see lots of possible sets there and lots of things to hoover up from online retailers when the opportunity occurs. One caution is that some of the artists who might have a restricted following might not in the end do very well in the marketplace. An Andrew Cyrille box, for example, is an attractive idea but might never arrive.

It is a good thing for this label to be boxing-up, as it were, and doing its own history. I also notice that the mp3 price policy at amazon is to have a fixed price per track which means that albums with fewer, longer tracks are currently very good value. That is why Olu Iwa is such a bargain (for now) and I'd say to anybody to spend a couple of dollars and have their 75 minutes of fun with it. I see that BS/SN were taken over in 2008 so it is the new owners trying to do more with the catalogue. I think these sets and the attractively-priced downloads will do a lot to repromote the label - I'm all for it.

Edited by David Ayers

Yup, good to see some activity there!

There were also some re-printings of singles discs, I think (with clear trays and some silly bad design - as is part of the history of the label I guess, at least in the CD age - and some graphics beneath. It doesn't say when the discs were printed or if they were remastered or anything).

Oh, and I hope the Giorgio Gaslini series will go on! (The final one of those 2CD sets came in that new clear-tray-design as well)

Oh, and I just went for the Threadgill at that grooves site - for that price, it's a hell of a deal!

Not sure about the Rava and Haden, and even less about the Pieranunzi. I think the Haden is the most likely other candidate so far.

Oh, and a Trovesi box would be great, too!

I doubt anyone has a copy of the new set yet... Since from what I understand it doesn't go on sale in Europe until today. I think the only US distributor (so far) is jazzloft.com

a question for those that have received any of the first four sets, what is the treatment of the boxes? are they the number of cds in jewel cases with the original liner notes contained within a cardboard box? do they have some sort of booklet that adds material not in the original liner notes?