romualdo

• Replies 948
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...

Look at all the albums that these two labels put out...one after the other...and these box sets are barely scratching the surface of their total output...and yet, this stuff was hard as hell to get in many parts of the US for quite a while, which maybe created a really distorted picture of what all was going on in the music at the time, which then allowed for all sorts of distorted concepts of problems P& solutions...too bad.

Good point - I was saying something like this before. In that whole period a lot of US music was issued outside the US, and you're right, the course of jazz at that time must have seemed different with only limited access to the numerous European issues from various labels, but most notably in terms of any kind of modern jazz (whatver that means), these BS/SN issues. In truth, few of these titles (as a proportion of the many issued) have ever settled down to seem like classics to me, but if you consider the chunks of material from that have been boxed so far and bear in mind that there will be some more to come... also things that might not get boxed: early Tim Berne, some Glenn Spearman, Hemphill/Bowie/Mitchell/Abrams/Jarman?(Wadada)Smith, Frank Lowe, John Carter, and lots more really. A big box pulling together all the Chicago stuff would be great.

If you lived in the NYC area at the time your perspective would have been skewed in exactly the opposite direction. At the time these came out they were in all the NYC record stores and the music was happening live every night and most afternoons too.

I'm sure there are a lot of personal favorites people have, and one listener's 'classic' is another's 'so what'. FWIW, I think the label did get a bit diluted over the years but I can't do without the WSQ albums, Cecil and Max at McMillan Theatre, Beaver Harris In:Sanity, several of those Murray Octets but particularly Ming, Andrew Hill's Strange Serenade, Hemphill's Raw Materials and Residuals, and in general anything that had producer Giacomo Pelliciotti's name on it.

I recall in that time period seeing these releases in a number of stores in NYC and buying a bunch. There were also gigs galore. I recall seeing David Murray in a quartet with Blood Ulmer, WSQ, etc and I could have seen a bunch more if I had a few more $$ then.

Amazon.uk now making the upcoming 4 box sets available for preorder. I did a comparison between amazon.uk and amazon.fr and found virtually no difference in net cost shipped to me in the U.S. Amazon.de is considerably more expensive.

On a different matter, there are Ebay auctions for individual cds by the various artists whose Black Saint recordings have now been issued by camjazz in boxes and which auctions have not recevied bids even at starting prices of #10.00.

Edited by cliffpeterson

I got impatient waiting for Amazon UK to list the boxes so I ordered from Amazon France. Price is about the same only I didn't qualify for free shipping so I'm about £4.00 down though if the dates are right it looks like I may get the a week or two earlier.

Edited by JohnS

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

First: Hi to everyone, because this is my firs post, although I have been read the forum since a long time.

Speaking about Black Saint / Soul Note box sets, I have all of them, and the last that I purchased was DAVID MURRAY, because I had 3 of 5 CD's included yet. Anyway, I have a little doubt: I think that the remastered work has a little fault in the "New Life" CD. If you listen to "Blues In The Pocket", you will listen to Craig Harris' trombone solo (from 5 minutes to the end) at an extremely low volume in the mix, while the other instruments are balanced.

Has anyone more noticed this? If this is true in every copy from that CD, it will be the first "bad" remaster from these boxes, because the others have a very improved sound.

Greets!

First: Hi to everyone, because this is my firs post, although I have been read the forum since a long time.

Speaking about Black Saint / Soul Note box sets, I have all of them, and the last that I purchased was DAVID MURRAY, because I had 3 of 5 CD's included yet. Anyway, I have a little doubt: I think that the remastered work has a little fault in the "New Life" CD. If you listen to "Blues In The Pocket", you will listen to Craig Harris' trombone solo (from 5 minutes to the end) at an extremely low volume in the mix, while the other instruments are balanced.

Has anyone more noticed this? If this is true in every copy from that CD, it will be the first "bad" remaster from these boxes, because the others have a very improved sound.

Greets!

Hi, it's always nice to welcome another Murray fan to the board.

I'm not sure it's a fault, I think he's just off mic or not plugged in. He sounds a tad distant on Morning song too. I no longer have the vinyl so I can't compare.

Hi, it's always nice to welcome another Murray fan to the board.

I'm not sure it's a fault, I think he's just off mic or not plugged in. He sounds a tad distant on Morning song too. I no longer have the vinyl so I can't compare.

David Murray fan, and John Zorn fan, Wadada Leo Smith fan, Miles Davis fan, Charles Mingus fan... etc...

Many thanks for your answer: probably you are right. I don't have the original vinyl, but in the first CD reissue, mastering volume is a bit different and for that reason Harris seems to be more present in the record.

Anyway, I think that this idea from CAM jazz is good: a cheap form to have a great part of last seventies and eighties Jazz. It deserves the buying, although you have any of the CD included in each box.

Any bet about the next bunch of boxes?

Greets!