Black Saint/Soul Note Box Sets

romualdo

• Replies 948
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The problem I have with later Russell isn't with anything but the bands. I just don't hear the individual orchestral personality that I like to hear out of big bands. But that's quite possibly my problem, and listening objectively to the writing, it's still in a class of its own, imo.

Not at home, hence can't check the discographies... took the Giuffre box to work and just noticed the date of "Dragonfly". The generic CD back-cover gives Jan. 14 & 15, 1989, but the disc is located first within the box (dates given for "Quasar" are May 3 & 5, 1985 and for "Liquid Dancers" - LP back-cover - it gives April 24, 1989).

Allmusic gives Jan. 14 & 15, 1983 and so does Discogs... I assume the Giuffre box hence is in correct sequence but the date on the back-cover of "Dragonfly" is printed wrongly?

Not at home, hence can't check the discographies... took the Giuffre box to work and just noticed the date of "Dragonfly". The generic CD back-cover gives Jan. 14 & 15, 1989, but the disc is located first within the box (dates given for "Quasar" are May 3 & 5, 1985 and for "Liquid Dancers" - LP back-cover - it gives April 24, 1989).

Allmusic gives Jan. 14 & 15, 1983 and so does Discogs... I assume the Giuffre box hence is in correct sequence but the date on the back-cover of "Dragonfly" is printed wrongly?

The Allmusic dates for Dragonfly are correct.

There's a late Weather Reporty feel to these first three Giuffres in the Soul Note box. This isn't helped by the feeling that the electric bass player (Bob Nieske) sounds so much like Jaco (contemporaneously, of course). Had never heard these records before, but I kinda like the fact that Giuffre was daring enough to step out of his comfort zone. Bravo to him!

Just ordered the Don Pullen box this AM... Great price over at grooves.inc. $32 US incl. free shipping for 7CDs... :)

I'll probably get the WSQ box at some point...

The WSQ box is a worthy purchase AFAIC. It's been a difficult listen though (only one disc at a time for me). The arrangements are interesting, but it's been difficult for me to acclimate to all the parts being played by horns.

Thanks Jeff for confirming!

I'm not sure Giuffre really had any comfort zone at all, JETman... he does seem to me to be among the few (Konitz is another one, and Wayne Shorter much of the time, too) that seems to get along without that for most of the time.

The WSQ box is fine... I found two great Elektra LPs a few months before, and heard some more of their stuff already and love the sound.

I could have made good use of the Murray box 12-15 years ago, but I've lost interest at this point. I can't get enough of the 80s Bill Frisell sound, so I've got to get the Motian box.

I'd gladly pay 5 dollars more per set if they would have included a small booklet with readable type. The microscopic print on the original album cover facsimiles is useless.

• 2 weeks later...

Whatever happened to the CAM jazz website anyway?

Why is Art Farmer not properly listed? They re-vamped the whole site but you can't find the stuff any longer... it looks nice but it's crap. If you search for Farmer, you find a sh*tload of stuff, including most of the ones Farmer seems to be actually playing on, but NOT the Jazztet material. Corporate thinking, I guess...

Also, a friend of mine also got a faulty Murray box and asked for a replacement... he was asked to send proof he really bought it, sent on his amazon mail and hasn't heard back for a week now.

Yes, I agree with your assessment. One can't even catch all the boxed sets with one click anymore. To find them now, you have to know which artists they fall under. Truly odd.

When I sent my email to Cam about the faulty Murray set, I was never even asked if I had purchased it. Maybe they finally realized that a lot of people were taking advantage of the offer without having done so. How they did this, I'm not sure. Maybe it had to do with printing more replacements than faulty sets?

About two weeks ago I finally contacted CAM Jazz about my Murray set. They also asked me to describe the flaws and asked for proof of purchase. Once I was able to get a reprint of my receipt from Dusty Groove (I had purchased the set about six months ago) and forwarded it to CAM Jazz I received a pretty quick response. I received my replacement set earlier this week.

Whatever happened to the CAM jazz website anyway?

Why is Art Farmer not properly listed? They re-vamped the whole site but you can't find the stuff any longer... it looks nice but it's crap. If you search for Farmer, you find a sh*tload of stuff, including most of the ones Farmer seems to be actually playing on, but NOT the Jazztet material. Corporate thinking, I guess...

Also, a friend of mine also got a faulty Murray box and asked for a replacement... he was asked to send proof he really bought it, sent on his amazon mail and hasn't heard back for a week now.

Have tried to work around the site & it's not easy - trying to get the listing for all of the BS/SN recent box sets is quite a task

I had no problems with my Murray return - was bought from UK Amazon & there were no questions asked - maybe they are being inundated with requests? (possibly bogus)

I have no problem with them asking for any kind of proof that you did buy the set... but hey, not answering for a week is pretty lame. My friend has still no idea if he will get a replacement at all!

They should really fix the website (example, again: Art Farmer... no Soul Notes in the artists listing, just the one CAM disc with Phil Woods). And they should add a feature on the box sets, as they do seem to be a major selling point, after all!