Black Saint/Soul Note Box Sets

romualdo

I sent an e-mail a month ago to info@camjazz.com, attaching a receipt showing purchase of the David Murray set, and have not received a response. Nothing in my spam, either. Perhaps I should resend or is there another e-mail address I should try?

simone.vendittelli@camjazz.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 948
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, the site got freaked up, it's much harder to find news... and the previous method of finding covers of upcoming but not yet officially listed releases (by entering the URL with subsequent catalogue-nos) doesn't work any longer.

As for artists left: plenty of them, read through the thread here, there's lots of suggestions! They could easily do two more dozen of sets, I assume, maybe even twice as many.

• 3 weeks later...

Thoughts on the Konitz set from anyone who knows the music, whether from this set or the originals? I'm definitely on the fence. I like Konitz a pretty lot, especially duos and tenor stuff. (...just by way of background) Listening to the samples Amazon has for the Black Saint/Soul Note set, it seems to be a whole mix of stuff - small and large groups, some angular, some straight ahead, some swinging, some whatever. In a way, it doesn't much matter, since I tend to listen either to one album...or to throw it on shuffle. Overall quality?

Thoughts on the Konitz set from anyone who knows the music, whether from this set or the originals? I'm definitely on the fence. I like Konitz a pretty lot, especially duos and tenor stuff. (...just by way of background) Listening to the samples Amazon has for the Black Saint/Soul Note set, it seems to be a whole mix of stuff - small and large groups, some angular, some straight ahead, some swinging, some whatever. In a way, it doesn't much matter, since I tend to listen either to one album...or to throw it on shuffle. Overall quality?

I like Konitz and I have more than two dozen albums by him (and have heard at least another dozen). I sold my set. The Nonet album is the best but even that is not special and there is nothing else in there I would reach for over many other albums of his.

I can kind of relate to what gnhrtg and JSngry say about the Konitz, though I've no intentions to sell mine. I love and admire Lee's music and will keep listening to these. The octet album was the only one I've known previously (I've got the LP, also got the LP of the similarly fine Nonet album on Chiaroscuro), and so far it's still my favorite among the five in the box. The one with Peggy Stern, they had it in my high school's library, and that one never clicked with me, still didn't.

• 3 months later...

The Muhal is incomplete. I can think of 5 missing titles off the top of my head.

1-0QA+19, Duet, Colors In Thirty-Third, Family Talk, Song For All

Muhal was at the top of my list (with Julius) so I'm overjoyed

I was afraid they wouldn't do a full Abrams set - looks like these are mostly large group/orchestra sessions

The Muhal is incomplete. I can think of 5 missing titles off the top of my head.

1-0QA+19, Duet, Colors In Thirty-Third, Family Talk, Song For All

Muhal was at the top of my list (with Julius) so I'm overjoyed

I was afraid they wouldn't do a full Abrams set - looks like these are mostly large group/orchestra sessions

Sightsong with Malachi is missing as is Duets and Solos but I figured that would be included in a Mitchell box.

1. Anyone have info regarding expected release dates for these?

2. Is this a good point of entry for Muhal? I own none of his recordings (at least as leader). Have read a few enthusiastic reviews for Blu Blu Blu, but have not successfully tracked it down.

2. Is this a good point of entry for Muhal? I own none of his recordings (at least as leader). Have read a few enthusiastic reviews for Blu Blu Blu, but have not successfully tracked it down.

Start here:

MI0002002597.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Edited by felser