Black Saint/Soul Note Box Sets

romualdo

Been listening to a lot of this stuff on the Cam jazz site and the one that is most eye-opening for me is the bill Dixon. I'd avoided most of his black saint stuff previously, finding what I'd heard just too out there. Loved his stuff on savoy and RCA but the bs stuff just didn't move me. Listening more closely Im getting a different picture - a lot of quiet artistry going on. Anybody else getting a new appreciation for any of the musicians in this series?

• Replies 948
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Been listening to a lot of this stuff on the Cam jazz site and the one that is most eye-opening for me is the bill Dixon. I'd avoided most of his black saint stuff previously, finding what I'd heard just too out there. Loved his stuff on savoy and RCA but the bs stuff just didn't move me. Listening more closely Im getting a different picture - a lot of quiet artistry going on. Anybody else getting a new appreciation for any of the musicians in this series?

I gained a new appreciation for eighties era Jimmy Giuffre. I gained greater appreciation for Joe Lovano via the Motian set. Was pleasantly surprised by some of the stuff on the Muhal set, admiration increased.

I've felt the same way about the Bill DIxon set. It makes me want to seek out more of his recordings.

go for the Odyssey set

Ah yes, but is it available anywhere?

buy it through Discogs / Vogel-Music-Sales (that's where I bought my copy recently)

There are still copies available

http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?release_id=2219594&ev=rb

Got the Farmer and Lake out of the mailbox a few minutes ago - since the lp jackets are just about readable to me, I was happy to see ALL the Farmers come with original back-covers (while Lake is on the other end, there's only one out of seven, and that one has no liners, just a Thulani Davis poem).

Damn, Gaslini fell off the truck (or rather: out of the flimsy amazon package), Bley was still in there, but one corner bruised (outer box only, so I'll just keep it).

In light of the Gaslini not being currently in stock and the price having gone up, I really, really hope they're not just giving me a refund, I'd really be mad if they did!

Oh how I'd love to have real record stores (but not those we had where this Gaslini box would have cost 100 € at least).

Maybe Black Saint/Soul Note boxes need to be issued with a gratis magnifying glass.. That was one aspect of the George Russell set that I was less than thrilled about (otherwise the set is great).

What I found helpful to do is scan the back cover using a high dpi (you can also do this by taking a photo with your cellphone), then viewing the picture on my computer.

Listening to the Lake set; wow, there is wonderful stuff in there! All in all, one of the most enjoyable boxes in this series so far for me.

I haven't purchased any of the latest batch (my CD budget got irresistably diverted to a Stan Getz bender out of the blue... the heart wants what it wants...) but i've been eyeing up the Lake set... previously i only had Heavy Spirits and Expandable Language with Lake as a leader... liked them enough but the recent Trio 3 album with Jason Moran has shed new light on Lake for me and i'm keen to dig deeper... i should really take advantage of the streaming on the Cam Jazz site.

• 1 month later...