Black Saint/Soul Note Box Sets

romualdo

I was wondering if anyone could give me some feedback on the Muhal Richard Abrams set. Worth the price of admission? I'm looking to get into something new in this catalog. I'm already familiar with the material on the Braxton, Lacy, Haden, Dixon, Taylor, Hemphill, and Threadgill sets, and I think somebody is getting me the Lake and Cyrille sets for Christmas.

• Replies 948
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Paul Bley arrived today, and with a sticker on the box "bonus disc". The bonus disc is "Not to Be a Star" Keshavan Maslak and Paul Bley. So it's really 10 albums in the box. Anybody else got this?

Received mine, but haven't listened to it yet.

I was wondering if anyone could give me some feedback on the Muhal Richard Abrams set. Worth the price of admission? I'm looking to get into something new in this catalog. I'm already familiar with the material on the Braxton, Lacy, Haden, Dixon, Taylor, Hemphill, and Threadgill sets, and I think somebody is getting me the Lake and Cyrille sets for Christmas.

I'd suggest the George Russell, George Adams, David Murray (both), and Mal Waldron sets. And they really really need to do a Max Roach set. You'll love the Cyrille.

Haven't heard the whole Abrams box (though I finally picked it up recently) but BLU BLU BLU is a must hear, and THE HEARINGA SUITE is also really really good. Amazing writing + performers.

Question about the George Adams box - I have the two excellent Village Vanguard albums already in single-disc form. So far I've been inclined to not pick up the box because I've heard the other three albums (which I haven't heard) are not on the same level. Agree? Disagree?

That is true, the other albums are better than the VV material, which is poorly recorded in my opinion.

Edited by kh1958

Question about the George Adams box - I have the two excellent Village Vanguard albums already in single-disc form. So far I've been inclined to not pick up the box because I've heard the other three albums (which I haven't heard) are not on the same level. Agree? Disagree?

That is true, the other albums are better than the VV material, which is poorly recorded in my opinion.

The first two albums are a different group, with Hugh Lawson and Jimmy Knepper. I like them quite a bit, as much as the VV stuff. "Jaboobie's March" is great.

• 3 weeks later...

A significantly less intense investment in more Bill Dixon is the wonderful Tapestries for Small Orchestra on Firehouse 12. More on the Intents & Purposes side of things, rather than the Soul Notes.

http://firehouse12records.com/album/tapestries-for-small-orchestra

As an avowed Dixon freak, I can't be objective here but the Black Saint box is wonderful IMHO. Also, pick up the Archie Shepp / Bill Dixon Quartet set. Excellent.

The Bley is a mish-mash ... some of it is good, some not so ... the two guitar quartets work fairly well, the duo with Motian grows on me more and more, the Giuffre/Bley/Swallow trio is good, too ... so is the solo album. The duo with that unable drummer is weird (not in too good a way), the duo with Maslak is okay (their duo on Leo is decidedly better, I think), the duo with Peacock is very good ... but I found the trio with Haden/Motian (the one I had the highest expectations for) pretty boring.

The Lake turned out to be pretty darn good, though! And the Cyrille even better! (Though with the later I still don't get the omission of the other Lyons/Cyrille duo album.)

The Farmer is good, too - the three quirtet albums are mighty good, the two with Clifford Jordan in particular (but dig his version of the title tune on "Manhattan", the one with Shihab!). The duo with Pauer is pretty nice, the album with Pieranunzi to me is the weakest of the bunch.

• 2 weeks later...

IMO the Muhal, Dixon, Lewis & Hemphill are the must-owns.

Haven't been able to get into the Dixon set. Just not my cuppa. Probably should have gone for the Pullen or Hemphill instead. The Abrams set is terrific! Lots of variety and inspired playing from the early free albums, to the highly sophisticated and exhilirating Hearinga Suite. By far my favorite set of the six I've purchased. I like the Lacy, and Russell sets too.

Edited by starthrower

• 2 months later...

trying to pull some together:

Muhal Richard Abrams Vol. 2

Billy Bang

Borah Bergman

Ran Blake

Hamiet Bluiett

Jaki Byard

Kenny Drew

Chico Hamilton

Andrew Hill

Jon Jang

Leroy Jenkins

Steve Lacy (quartets, quintets etc.)

David Liebman

John Lindberg

Jimmy Lyons

Mingus Dynasty/Big Band Charlie Mingus (two each)

Roscoe Mitchell

Tete Montoliu (4 vols. of "The Music I Like to Play")

David Murray (big band and whatever else might still be missing)

Max Roach/M'Boom

ROVA/Larry Ochs

Archie Shepp

Glenn Spearman

String Trio of New York

Sun Ra

Tom Varner

Mal Waldron (leftovers)

What We Live/Lisle Ellis

others with only 2-3 albums:

Barry Altschul

Ray Anderson/BassDrumBone

Karl Berger

Tim Berne (+ Formanek/Berne/Hirshfield)

Bobby Bradford

Baikida Carroll

John Carter

Arnett Cobb/Jimmy Heath/Joe Henderson

Ellery Eskelin

The Fringe

Billy Harper

Craig Harris

Fred Houn

Joseph Jarman
Joe Lovano
Frank Lowe

Marcello Melis

Jemeel Moondoc

Charlie Persip Superband

Eric Person

Odean Pope Saxophone Choir

Dewey Redman

Gianluigi Trovesi

Kenny Wheeler

not sure this list is complete ... but there's plenty left (and I guess with some smart combining of artists with one, two or three albums made for Black Saint or Soul Note, they could add a few more)

Edited by king ubu