Black Saint/Soul Note Box Sets

romualdo

I HATE these box sets. The ones I've heard and compared to the original CDs sounded horrible.

CAM jazz is butchering the Black Saint & Soul Note catalogs. They should have just collected the original CD masterings in budget box sets.

The ones i've heard (about 14 sets, though not the Trovesi or any of the other recent ones) sound fine to me, at least not butchered. Not really wanting to get into a massive discussion about it as i feel like we've been there before: just want to present an alternative viewpoint FWIW.

This has indeed been discussed before on several occasions. I see we both made our first Organissimo posts in this thread.

• Replies 948
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, I checked all the albums in the box, and "From G to G", "Missa", "Baghet" and "Cinque piccole storie" are fine; the others all suffer from compression and limiting. To compare, I bought the "Verano" track mentioned above from the cam jazz web site, and it turns out to be identical to the one in the box set. So I guess there is the possibility that the bad ones were like this to begin with; is anyone who has the the original releases able to chime in?

I HATE these box sets. The ones I've heard and compared to the original CDs sounded horrible.

CAM jazz is butchering the Black Saint & Soul Note catalogs. They should have just collected the original CD masterings in budget box sets.

The ones i've heard (about 14 sets, though not the Trovesi or any of the other recent ones) sound fine to me, at least not butchered. Not really wanting to get into a massive discussion about it as i feel like we've been there before: just want to present an alternative viewpoint FWIW.

I share that alternate viewpoint. So glad I find these listenable as the music is very enjoyable and the sets are a bargain compared to coralling the previous cds. I haven't heard the other Trovesi yet, but none of the other sets are unlistenable on my system.

I did not like the sound of these sets (I used Abrams set for A/B-ing), but some of the older individual CDs are still available directly from CAM Jazz website at €7-8 a pop. They are all on Spotify as well.

That's cool. I have every set and am resonably happy with the sound. I don't stream and I'm not going to buy up the old cds, even at that price the sets are still cheaper by far. I'm lucky my system renders them listenable. (I probably wouldn't like them on headphones but I'm no longer using headphones).

I'm so not into the "best possible" of everything. A few things, like pre-tape sessions I think are super important, but not modern stuff. Maybe that's why I'm fine with these, maybe my system makes the most of them, but whatever it is, I'm enjoyng each set, quite listenable.

I don't have the George Adams box set but I do have the recordings in CD and/or LP form. There are three Pullen/Adams/Richmond/Brown recordings--one studio and two live. The other two albums are a different group (and a very fine group it is), with Adams paired with Jimmy Knepper in the front line, Hugh Lawson on piano, Mike Richmond on bass, and Dannie Richmond.

I do have the Don Pullen box set, which has a diverse set of seven LPs. There are two solo piano outings, a duo recording with Don Moye,, a trio with Joseph Jarman and Don Moye, two different quartet recordings (Bobby Battle on both, with Sam Rivers and Alex Blake on one, and Chico Freeman and Fred Hopkins on another), and finally a quintet with Bobby Battle and Fred Hopkins again, plus Donald Harrison and Olu Dara.

I also have all the material in the Pullen set, and find it all to be excellent or better. Other than the last one (with Dara & Harrison, which at times sounds like it could be a "real" Blue Note side in terms of material), the music is all more "forward leaning" in nature than what Pullen would do for later labels afterward.

I also have all the material in the Pullen set, and find it all to be excellent or better. Other than the last one (with Dara & Harrison, which at times sounds like it could be a "real" Blue Note side in terms of material), the music is all more "forward leaning" in nature than what Pullen would do for later labels afterward.

Very much agreed. The two solo piano albums are outstanding IMO. I listen to this set far more often than to the Pullen Select, because of the "forward leaning" aspect.

This album "The Sixth Sense" is a modern classic, IMO

The earlier quartet session with Chico Freeman, Fred Hopkins and Bobby Battle is challenging and invigorating.

The session with Rivers, if I recall, is less successful

• 7 months later...

the upcoming bunch:

AndrewHill_zpszi4wt6bv.jpg

ArchieShepp_zpsiz8qrzg9.jpg

KennyWheeler_zpsscfbmtuz.jpg

MaxRoach_zpsbcfrnghp.jpg

MingusDynastyBigBand_zpse14qnufo.jpg

RanBlake_zpshqorrpvh.jpg

RoscoeMitchell_zpsfpfkq2gh.jpg

Blake and Mitchell are the ones that please me most, Roach as well ... Wheeler comes as a surprise (wasn't even aware of him having any connection to BSSN), the Mingus might be good, too ... the Hill of course, not sure I'll get it though as I have all four albums ... less sure about the Shepp, but seems Siegfried Kessler is on some of it, which clearly is a plus

The Blake & Mitchell sets are the most appealing to me

Duplication between sets is starting to bug me - the Roach set has Birth & Rebirth plus Historic Concerts -> both of these are in the Braxton & Taylor sets respectively - why did they only release 6 LPs in the Roach set - he has 11 Soul Notes (or maybe more) - maybe they'l do a second box?

The Mitchell set also has overlaps (Abrams & Lewis)

Edited by romualdo

Strange omissions on some of these, especially the Max Roach, which left out all of the quartet titles. I'm in for the Hill and probably the Wheeler.  May also get the Mingus, even thought I already have all of the titles on individual CD's.  I like the packaging and mastering on these sets (I know others don't).

Wow! I've wanted to get the Hills and the Wheelers for ages. Still keen for the Hill but i've faded a bit on Wheeler lately. Still rate him and everything, not going to trade all his albums but i feel a distinct lack of enthusiasm about listening to him and getting more stuff of his at the moment. It'll probably pass, but i don't want to get the box just for the sake of it and then have it sitting there and/or have it be a chore to get through.

Strange omissions on some of these, especially the Max Roach, which left out all of the quartet titles. I'm in for the Hill and probably the Wheeler.  May also get the Mingus, even thought I already have all of the titles on individual CD's.  I like the packaging and mastering on these sets (I know others don't).

Hm, hadn't have any time to check, but the Roach one DID appear to be small ... how many albums are missing? Enough to grant a second set? (more than four or vie, or else it's probably not going to happen as they've done boxes up to 9 or 10 discs - the Gaslini even was 11 and still not complete, not even for Dischi della quercia, but I'm not complaining too loudly as this was my first chance to grab this music).