romualdo

Black Saint/Soul Note Box Sets

959 posts in this topic

Thanks, highly relevant comment...I'm more than fine with "outside the box" but often feel that electronic material doesn't age so well (hence the fence ;)).

Well, there will be that, (tape more than electronic, per se) but I don't find it to be really "aged" not as in "dated". It all seems natural enough to the music at hand, it's just one more thing going on, not the thing itself.

I finally started cracking open my Black Saint/Soul Note boxes today and the first one I got open was Gianluigi Trovesi's box. I got to "Baghet" and discovered that it won't play the last track. Is anyone else finding this to be true?

I haven't noticed any tracks not playing, Kevin, but some of these discs are way more skippy/glitchy than typical commercial product.

On 18.1.2018 at 2:02 AM, Patrick said:

Any speculation about what might appear next as a box set?

It looks like this series has sadly been discontinued (many old titles are still available, but no new releases for years now). But if they ever add more sets to it, I would like to see a Hamiet Bluiett set - he recorded seven albums for BS and SN as a leader.

On 4/5/2020 at 9:37 PM, bresna said:

I finally started cracking open my Black Saint/Soul Note boxes today and the first one I got open was Gianluigi Trovesi's box. I got to "Baghet" and discovered that it won't play the last track. Is anyone else finding this to be true?

On 4/6/2020 at 4:37 PM, Jason Bivins said:

I haven't noticed any tracks not playing, Kevin, but some of these discs are way more skippy/glitchy than typical commercial product.

I've had some issues with tracks on my Jimmy Lyons and Lester Bowie sets too. 

2 hours ago, Kyo said:

It looks like this series has sadly been discontinued (many old titles are still available, but no new releases for years now). But if they ever add more sets to it, I would like to see a Hamiet Bluiett set - he recorded seven albums for BS and SN as a leader.

Kind of unbelievable that this wasn't one of the first sets produced. Great artist and albums for this label. 

4 hours ago, Kyo said:

Billy Bang is the one I always hoped for.

1 hour ago, felser said:

Billy Bang is the one I always hoped for.

Agreed.

As an only-partly-recovered CD addict, worth mentioning most of the BS/SN stuff is on Spotify.