Black Saint/Soul Note Box Sets

romualdo

While we're on the subject of Grooves-Inc (Swiss based online dealer) - don't worry, I've had no problems with them -> very legit

Any Woody Shaw fans out there looking for the 32 Jazz double "Two More Pieces Of The Puzzle" (Iron Men & Live In Berlin 76) - great double (has Braxton, Blythe, Abrams, Slide Hampton)

Grooves has it for 16.89Euros - have just received a copy in my latest order (not the boxed sets yet) - thought most of the 32 Jazz material is OOP?

It's definitely a 32 Jazz release (not a boot) - actually Grooves has quite a range of Shaw CD's

That's a pretty good buy (have a look at the prices on Amazon - all of the Woody Shaw 32 Jazz material is a bit pricey now) especially with no shipping charge

Also, in the same order I've received an obscure late 60's Impulse release -> Impressions of New York by the Rolf & Joachim Kuhn Quartet. It's been released by MPS (6.59 Euros)

Has this been released on CD previously? Not listened to it yet - any comments on this?

• Replies 948
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Kühn is great - part of a series of 5 CDs reissued to celebrate his (Rolf's, that is) birthday last fall. Impressions, the Kühn Brothers one with Karl Berger (still called Karlhanns there) and the Rolf Kühn with Klaus Doldinger are all fine. I didn't get the two fusion ones, as I bet I wouldn't like them much...

How about the quality of the remastering?

I'm not thinking of upgrading the CDs I have for the remastering, but I want to avoid buying reissues which sound worse than the previous ones (which has unfortunately often been the case in the past 10 years).

For those worried about Grooves Inc order, my Haden box just arrived today. All fine, just a matter of days after despatch notification (29/3) so the within europe timescale seems very efficient. Placed my order 24/3 so more than happy with the service. Thanks again Romauldo for highlighting this source.

As for the sleevenotes? You'll need one helluva magnifying glass to read them on some of the repro sleeves. On others the font size is just readable without.

thanks Man... that's very reassuring.. Nice to know that we have another great supplier (with free worldwide shipping!).... :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited:

For those worried about Grooves Inc order, my Haden box just arrived today. All fine, just a matter of days after despatch notification (29/3) so the within europe timescale seems very efficient. Placed my order 24/3 so more than happy with the service. Thanks again Romauldo for highlighting this source.

As for the sleevenotes? You'll need one helluva magnifying glass to read them on some of the repro sleeves. On others the font size is just readable without.

Wouldn't a Bill Dixon set be really, really cool? 9 CDs, and I have none of them so far sad.gif

I'd plunk down for that; the two Dixon Soul Notes I have are really good, "Thoughts" in particular.

Don't know if its been suggested already but would a Andrew Cyrille box be out of the question? I have three of his leader dates and they are all very well worth having.

edit for leaving out a word.

Edited by Holy Ghost

I haven't even gotten an shipping notification from grooves yet - not that I'm worried, but they're shipping from the country I live in, so a parcel should take maximum two days... I ordered on March 26, probably they couldn't handle all our orders.

Btw, I'd be all for a Ran Blake - and I don't quite see why adding three angry smilies is necessary if you don't like his music...

I just saw him once in concert and REALLY didn't like his music....

I haven't even gotten an shipping notification from grooves yet - not that I'm worried, but they're shipping from the country I live in, so a parcel should take maximum two days... I ordered on March 26, probably they couldn't handle all our orders.

Btw, I'd be all for a Ran Blake - and I don't quite see why adding three angry smilies is necessary if you don't like his music...

To each their own, but I'm surprised it resulted in such a strong reaction (rather than "meh").

I'm sticking to my guns that a crucial fact of the Dixon material is the liner notes. There's a presentation there going way beyond what's normally expected for even an independent release. Plus, the paintings on the covers are mighty fine.