Black Saint/Soul Note Box Sets

romualdo

• Replies 948
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I purchased a couple Black Saint titles on-demand from Amazon, and I must say they are of much poorer quality than I thought -- nothing like the Blue Notes, pictures of which were posted here a while back. Very cheap photocopy quality job, green-back CD-R and not true to the original cover art. Also, there was a rather pathetic typo on the spine of one ('Murray'S Steps').

Mind you, the price was ultimately rather fair ($9.90) and I honestly would consider buying more of the label's titles this way, but I figured I'd throw this out there nonetheless.

I purchased a couple Black Saint titles on-demand from Amazon, and I must say they are of much poorer quality than I thought -- nothing like the Blue Notes, pictures of which were posted here a while back. Very cheap photocopy quality job, green-back CD-R and not true to the original cover art. Also, there was a rather pathetic typo on the spine of one ('Murray'S Steps').

Mind you, the price was ultimately rather fair ($9.90) and I honestly would consider buying more of the label's titles this way, but I figured I'd throw this out there nonetheless.

Most of the mp3 albums I've seen on BS/SN are much cheaper than $9.90. My thinking is that the mp3 route is preferable for these titles.

Yes, I would spring for the Russell as well. I only have a few of the Russell Soul Notes. A box set would be a great excuse for sitting down with this music for a while and really coming to grips with this part of his discography. I have been meaning to do that for some time.

Edited by John L

one more new boxset appeared on the website, paul motian with the albums

JACK OF CLUBS

MISTERIOSO

THE STORY OF MARYAM

ONE TIME OUT

NOTES

the group on the first three is Bill Frisell, Joe Lovano, Jim Pepper, Ed Schuller, One Time Out is a Trio with Frisell/Lovano, Notes is a duet wit Paul Bley; strangely it's billed as 6 CDs so unless one of the above is a double album, one more album might be added... the individual albums from the cecil taylor and paul motian sets can already be streamed on the labels' page, e.g. Misterioso

just stumbled across this italian article from last december

it says:

Sempre a proposito della label romana, desta sensazione l'anticipazione sulla rivalutazione prossima ventura del catalogo Black Saint e Soul Note. Ricordo infatti che da qualche tempo Cam Jazz ha acquisito l'intero catalogo delle due etichette milanesi, ed ora sono annunciati una serie di cofanetti monografici low cost contenenti le discografie integrali di jazzisti di spicco che hanno inciso per Bonandrini. A fine gennaio 2010 saranno nei negozi i box di Charlie Haden, Henry Threadgill, Enrico Rava ed Enrico Pieranunzi. Seguiranno a cadenza bimestrale altri box a nome di Steve Lacy, George Lewis, Bill Dixon, Cecil Taylor, Max Roach, George Russell, Paul Motian e Don Moye. Le registrazioni saranno rimasterizzate e la grafica identica per tutti i box . Non vedo l'ora di vederne i primi esemplari...

so "bimestrale" means every two months, i.e., they are behind schedule already... of the mentioned artists (Lacy, Lewis, Dixon, Taylor, Roach, Russell, Motian, Moye) three are in the next batch apparently (Taylor, Russell, Motian) which seems to imply that the list is old but pretty accurate (david ayres, where did you get the info re braxton, taylor, douglas you posted above?) so it looks as if Dixon, Lacy and Roach are on the horizon...! wonder what a Don Moye Set would include...

Edited by Niko

just stumbled across this italian article from last december

it says:

Sempre a proposito della label romana, desta sensazione l'anticipazione sulla rivalutazione prossima ventura del catalogo Black Saint e Soul Note. Ricordo infatti che da qualche tempo Cam Jazz ha acquisito l'intero catalogo delle due etichette milanesi, ed ora sono annunciati una serie di cofanetti monografici low cost contenenti le discografie integrali di jazzisti di spicco che hanno inciso per Bonandrini. A fine gennaio 2010 saranno nei negozi i box di Charlie Haden, Henry Threadgill, Enrico Rava ed Enrico Pieranunzi. Seguiranno a cadenza bimestrale altri box a nome di Steve Lacy, George Lewis, Bill Dixon, Cecil Taylor, Max Roach, George Russell, Paul Motian e Don Moye. Le registrazioni saranno rimasterizzate e la grafica identica per tutti i box . Non vedo l'ora di vederne i primi esemplari...

so "bimestrale" means every two months, i.e., they are behind schedule already... of the mentioned artists (Lacy, Lewis, Dixon, Taylor, Roach, Russell, Motian, Moye) three are in the next batch apparently (Taylor, Russell, Motian) which seems to imply that the list is old but pretty accurate (david ayres, where did you get the info re braxton, taylor, douglas you posted above?) so it looks as if Dixon, Lacy and Roach are on the horizon...! wonder what a Don Moye Set would include...

Yes I *did* see that list somewhere - I'll try to check just where - I think you can assume the sets I listed will come out... I'll get back to you

Edited to add: I think I probably saw this page http://www.camoriginalsoundtracks.com/site/index.php?site=&path=cd_press&idcd=1552

Edited by David Ayers

Actually, yes, in a few instances I could and did.

The new versions sound crisper, tighter, more "in focus." Also a bit more dynamic. That's the best way for me to describe it. I compared two of the Hadens that I had, a few tracks each, before passing them along to a friend.

Is the sound of the Haden and Threadgill boxes as awful as the sound samples that appear on CAM?

From CAM re: Threadgill -

A philological work, beginning with the original recordings on multi-track master tapes, patiently integrally remastered paying strict attention to the sound quality.

Does that answer your question?

as an aside, I just noticed that the alphabetically first albums of the four new sets come after the alphabetically first albums of the four old sets in the list on the camjazz homepage (on this somewhat unorthodox list which is alphabetical by album title); chance of this happening randomly is about 1.4% if i am not mistaken... hope this doesn't mean, that artists whose alphabetically first album comes before "Out here like this" by the Leaders are excluded from the Box Set Thing...