UK Jazz Still in need of CD reissue

A Lark Ascending

It was available as a CD-r direct from Neil Ardley before he died. I got a copy from there.

It's certainly a recording deserving of proper reissue, even if just in downloadable form (perhaps the only cost effective way of making available music that will be unlikely to generate interest beyond a small audience).

I also bought a couple of CD-Rs from Neil just before he died. Obviously I should have added "A Symphony of Amaranths" to the list!

BTW I see that his website includes a contact page. Has anyone used it to buy anything recently?

It was available as a CD-r direct from Neil Ardley before he died. I got a copy from there.

It's certainly a recording deserving of proper reissue, even if just in downloadable form (perhaps the only cost effective way of making available music that will be unlikely to generate interest beyond a small audience).

I also bought a couple of CD-Rs from Neil just before he died. Obviously I should have added "A Symphony of Amaranths" to the list!

BTW I see that his website includes a contact page. Has anyone used it to buy anything recently?

You all probably already know this but just in case I'll mention it again "Impressed Volume 2" is still available (ie from Amazon, etc) and contains two Ardley tracks, the title track from Le Dejeuner and Will You Walk a Little Faster from Amaranths. Both those tracks are worth the price alone IMHO.

Chuck,

If you're talking about the material from the early to mid 1930s, I know of the following:

Two 2-cd sets on Kings Cross Music (KCM 001/002 and KCM 003/004). Remastering by John R.T Davies. The first set has:

- Spike Hughes and his Decca-Dents (3/12/30 and 3/28/30)

- Spike Hughes and his Dance Orchestra (4/2/30, 4/16/30, 4/29/30, 5/23/30, 6/27/30)

- Philip Buchel with Spike Hughes and his Three Blind Music (7/5/30)

- Jimmy Dorsey acc. by Spike Hughes and his Three Blind Mice (7/15/30)

- Spike Hughes and his Dance Orchestra (7/16/30, 8/18/30, 9/6/30, 11/5/30)

The second set has:

- Spike Hughes and his Dance Orchestra (11/19/30, 12/12/30,1/23/31, 4/8/31, 6/18/31)

- Joey Shields (with Spike Hughes and his Three Blind Mice (9/25/31, 9/30,31)

- Spike Hughes and his Dance Orchestra (10/13/31, 10/21/31, 11/17/31, 11/18/31, 2/3/32, 2/5/32)

- The Roof Garden Orchestra (2/10/32)

- Buddy's Brigade (same 2/10/32 session)

- Spike Hughes and his Dance Orchestra (3/30/32, 4/1/32, 11/20/32)

There's also a cd called High Yellow (Largo 5129). It purports to include all his jazz compositions ("in his own classic recordings from London and New York including the music for the Frederick Ashton/Buddy Bradley balled High Yellow). It includes material recorded in London by Spike Hughes and his Orchestra and in New York by Spike Hughes and his Negro Orchestra. Mastering also by John R. T. Davies. About half of the material is on the Kings Cross Music sets, but about half of it is not.

Is there any comprehensive reissue (from original masters) of the classic Spike Hughes material?

I first learned of some of this wonderful stuff from an Ace of Clubs lp in the '60s, but this only covered the stuff recorded in NYC with the black stars available.