new OJC Remasters

Popkin

There appears to be a new OJC Remasters series. Some info from the Concord site:

An extension of the popular Original Jazz Classics series (est. 1982), the new OJC Remasters releases reveal the sonic benefits of 24-bit remastering-a technology that didn't exist when these titles were originally issued on compact disc. The addition of newly-written liner notes further enhances the illuminating quality of the OJC Remasters reissues. "Each of the recordings in this series is an all-time jazz classic," says Nick Phillips, Vice President of Jazz and Catalog A&R at Concord Music Group and producer of the series. "With these reissues, we get a fresh look and a new perspective on these artists and some of their most important work-not only from the meticulous 24-bit remastering by Joe Tarantino, but also from the insights we glean from the new liner notes that have been written for each title in the series."

Here's a page listing the upcoming titles: http://www.concordmusicgroup.com/genres/releases_all/jazz/upcoming/

What's the deal with this? Why introduce another reissue series in addition to RVG and Keepnews?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are these going to be digipaks? the design reminds me a lot of Universal's Jazz Originals series. Don't expect any new bonus materials, or reassembling of scattered release patterns. I bet the people selecting titles for the series never have seen the label discographies ...

I really would like to see reissues of some sessions spread over several discs ...

p.s. I have an older Japanese reissue of the Art Pepper that sounds so damn fine I never considered another mastering. The new CD includes the bonus track from previous issues. Maybe they have learned some ...

Edited by mikeweil

This is appallingly clueless.

the new OJC Remasters releases reveal the sonic benefits of 24-bit remastering-a technology that didn't exist when these titles were originally issued on compact disc.

Dudes, you (or rather Fantasy) reissued the same titles on SACD years ago.

This is like promoting "HD-remastered" DVDs, when the same titles are available on Blu-ray.

This is appallingly clueless.

the new OJC Remasters releases reveal the sonic benefits of 24-bit remastering-a technology that didn't exist when these titles were originally issued on compact disc.

Dudes, you (or rather Fantasy) reissued the same titles on SACD years ago.

This is like promoting "HD-remastered" DVDs, when the same titles are available on Blu-ray.

My goodness! Surely you're not implying that there's one born every minute?

MG

Concord is attempting to answer the age old question, how many angels can you stack on the head of a pin? I don't blame them for trying to figure out ways to maximize their Fantasy (in more ways than one) investment, but there are limits to what a small and focused fan base can accommodate. What's interesting to me is that what they're doing isn't any different than what their counterparts are doing in the Japanese marketplace. If you don't believe me, just check out the next upcoming release list from Early Records. What I don't understand is the vitriol that's directed at Concord. No other label takes anywhere near that kind of abuse.

Concord is attempting to answer the age old question, how many angels can you stack on the head of a pin? I don't blame them for trying to figure out ways to maximize their Fantasy (in more ways than one) investment, but there are limits to what a small and focused fan base can accommodate. What's interesting to me is that what they're doing isn't any different than what their counterparts are doing in the Japanese marketplace. If you don't believe me, just check out the next upcoming release list from Early Records. What I don't understand is the vitriol that's directed at Concord. No other label takes anywhere near that kind of abuse.

Because no other label so cluelessly bleeds and rebleeds the same titles over and over and over again. There actually are some ways I would rebuy yet again some of the same music, if it were more efficiently and attractively packaged, like the three Coltrane box sets of recent years, but individual titles yet again ain't it. However, another Valentines day has come and gone, and I'm still waiting for "Prince Lasha and Sonny Simmons Play For Lovers" to be released.

I don't know the economics of it all but I'm surprised they've never done the Shelly Mann at the Black Hawk box set and now a bootlegger has done it. And why no Miles with Monk on Xmas Eve 1954 on one cd? (I think it would all fit, including the arguments.)

Again, I don't know the economics but if it's not economical to reissue sessions on cd is it financially better to make everything (and I mean everything) available for download? (I know this will drive audiophiles nuts.)