new OJC Remasters

Popkin

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, what a sad year or two for reissues: no conns, no rvgs, barely a Prestige rvg or two. Those days are long gone, if we're discussing a remastered edition of Soul Station.

Boy, you aren't kidding. I can't remember a year like this in many a year.

I'm tempted to say 1978-81 but at least then there were major new releases by Miles ('Circle In The Round', 'Water Babies' etc), some new Blue Note LP issues from the vaults (Rainbow Series) and Pablo was putting stuff out with gusto, like there was no tomorrow. And King and Toshiba in Japan were in their Blue Note/Pac Jazz reissue element..

Having said that, there's some cracking obscurities being miraculously re-issued at the mo' (ie. Kenny Wheeler 'Windmill Tilter').

Edited by sidewinder

• 5 months later...

Getz and Tjader's performance of Vince Guaraldi's Ginza Samba is perfection. But I'm not paying for it a second time to buy an insignificant increase in fidelity.

I don't understand why Concord isn't issuing unreleased-on-CD Concord Record sessions, as well as alternates and previously unreleased material from the Concord vaults. They're idiots.

Edited by Brownian Motion

Concord is attempting to answer the age old question, how many angels can you stack on the head of a pin? I don't blame them for trying to figure out ways to maximize their Fantasy (in more ways than one) investment, but there are limits to what a small and focused fan base can accommodate. What's interesting to me is that what they're doing isn't any different than what their counterparts are doing in the Japanese marketplace. If you don't believe me, just check out the next upcoming release list from Early Records. What I don't understand is the vitriol that's directed at Concord. No other label takes anywhere near that kind of abuse.

Because no other label so cluelessly bleeds and rebleeds the same titles over and over and over again. There actually are some ways I would rebuy yet again some of the same music, if it were more efficiently and attractively packaged, like the three Coltrane box sets of recent years, but individual titles yet again ain't it. However, another Valentines day has come and gone, and I'm still waiting for "Prince Lasha and Sonny Simmons Play For Lovers" to be released.

I agree with you, Dave. I stopped buying remasters a few years ago, and I'm often surprised by the amount of attention and discussion the latest reissues get on this board. I would have thought that die-hard jazz fans like us would already own copies of these classic recordings by now, and therefore any new reissue series would be directed at new listeners.

Felser, while Fantasy/Concord certainly has reissued many of its popular titles several times, I can't think of another company that kept so many titles in print for so long, even their "limited edition" titles. I don't share your ill feelings toward them because, as I said, I never thought they were directing their efforts toward fans like me who already own these recordings.

Concord is attempting to answer the age old question, how many angels can you stack on the head of a pin? I don't blame them for trying to figure out ways to maximize their Fantasy (in more ways than one) investment, but there are limits to what a small and focused fan base can accommodate. What's interesting to me is that what they're doing isn't any different than what their counterparts are doing in the Japanese marketplace. If you don't believe me, just check out the next upcoming release list from Early Records. What I don't understand is the vitriol that's directed at Concord. No other label takes anywhere near that kind of abuse.

Because no other label so cluelessly bleeds and rebleeds the same titles over and over and over again. There actually are some ways I would rebuy yet again some of the same music, if it were more efficiently and attractively packaged, like the three Coltrane box sets of recent years, but individual titles yet again ain't it. However, another Valentines day has come and gone, and I'm still waiting for "Prince Lasha and Sonny Simmons Play For Lovers" to be released.

I agree with you, Dave. I stopped buying remasters a few years ago, and I'm often surprised by the amount of attention and discussion the latest reissues get on this board. I would have thought that die-hard jazz fans like us would already own copies of these classic recordings by now, and therefore any new reissue series would be directed at new listeners.

Felser, while Fantasy/Concord certainly has reissued many of its popular titles several times, I can't think of another company that kept so many titles in print for so long, even their "limited edition" titles. I don't share your ill feelings toward them because, as I said, I never thought they were directing their efforts toward fans like me who already own these recordings.

I have no criticism of Fantasy, who were the ones that reissued those titles and kept them in print for so long. Concord is another matter altogether.

Well, to be honest when I choose to buy many of these reissues it is for the improved sound. Maybe it's just me, maybe it's my system, likely it's me and my system both, but most of them are an improvement sonically to my ears. I bought the Evans in the last "OJC Remaster" box because I want to have all the Evans Riverside and Milestone material, music that I really enjoy deeply, in better sound than the original cd releases. I'm nearing completion of that goal for the albums released at the time. When I replace one, I give or trade or sell off the original.

It seems evident to me that the labels have their own way of looking at what titles to release, right or wrong. I know that others have reported here on the board Michael Cuscuna's maxim that a reissue is going to sell proportionally no better than the original in almost all cases. Concord must feel they can put out the "core" titles over and over and guarantee enough sales from new listeners and also those such as myself who will upgrade certain titles.

I have no criticism of Fantasy, who were the ones that reissued those titles and kept them in print for so long. Concord is another matter altogether.

Look at how many times Fantasy reissued some of their most popular titles on CD, and compare that with how many times they've been reissued since Concord obtained the back catalog in 2004.

Getz and Tjader's performance of Vince Guaraldi's Ginza Samba is perfection. But I'm not paying for it a second time to buy an insignificant increase in fidelity.

I don't understand why Concord isn't issuing unreleased-on-CD Concord Record sessions, as well as alternates and previously unreleased material from the Concord vaults. They're idiots.

Totally agree about all of the unreleased Concord recordings from the 70s-80s. I am thinking in particular of the Marshal Royal recordings that are only on LP. There's great music!!! I've even bugged Mosaic about it....who knows :wacko:

Totally agree about all of the unreleased Concord recordings from the 70s-80s. I am thinking in particular of the Marshal Royal recordings that are only on LP. There's great music!!! I've even bugged Mosaic about it....who knows :wacko:

The problem is that those recordings probably didn't sell as LPs and probably won't sell much as CDs. Has Mosaic ever issued anything from the Fantasy or Concord vaults?

The problem is that those recordings probably didn't sell as LPs and probably won't sell much as CDs. Has Mosaic ever issued anything from the Fantasy or Concord vaults?

If the Concord group won't release the material they should lease the tapes to Fresh Sound or Definitive.

If the Concord group won't release the material they should lease the tapes to Fresh Sound or Definitive.

I think you're living in a dream world.

Well, to be honest when I choose to buy many of these reissues it is for the improved sound. Maybe it's just me, maybe it's my system, likely it's me and my system both, but most of them are an improvement sonically to my ears. I bought the Evans in the last "OJC Remaster" box because I want to have all the Evans Riverside and Milestone material, music that I really enjoy deeply, in better sound than the original cd releases. I'm nearing completion of that goal for the albums released at the time. When I replace one, I give or trade or sell off the original.

It seems evident to me that the labels have their own way of looking at what titles to release, right or wrong. I know that others have reported here on the board Michael Cuscuna's maxim that a reissue is going to sell proportionally no better than the original in almost all cases. Concord must feel they can put out the "core" titles over and over and guarantee enough sales from new listeners and also those such as myself who will upgrade certain titles.

Lon, which Evans box are your talking about?

Maybe the Village Vanguard box, which is spectacular in every regard (including low price).

The problem is that those recordings probably didn't sell as LPs and probably won't sell much as CDs.

Paul is quite right. From the financial standpoint releasing some of these sessions on cd would be unprofitable. They could do one of two things [or both] - on-line downloads and/or a subscription-based cd release for some of these scarce sessions.

In my dream world they would offer a subscription sacd package.

Maybe the Village Vanguard box, which is spectacular in every regard (including low price).

Sorry s, the "box" was really a typo, I meant issues, individual cds. I meant the recent "Waltz for Debbie." I'm buying any part of the Riverside/Milestone Evans box set that is K2 or 24 bit remastered, etc.

Sorry s, the "box" was really a typo, I meant issues, individual cds. I meant the recent "Waltz for Debbie." I'm buying any part of the Riverside/Milestone Evans box set that is K2 or 24 bit remastered, etc.

Lon - have you compared Waltz for Debbie to the Evans Village Vanguard box (which contains Waltz for Debbie) from a few years ago?