new OJC Remasters

Popkin

Yep, took me a while, but I stocked up many, many OJCCDs after that...

As for the three new ones, the bonus tracks on the Bill Evans disc seem to be previously unissued, while the Monk adds one more from the July session (previously on "Blues Five Spot", Milestone 9124, as well as on the 15 CD set), while the other two bonus tracks were part of the old OJCCD.

Not sure why yet another edition of the Massey Hall concert is needed...

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you have this slightly incorrect, if I'm not mistaken. Those projects may have been conceived when Fantasy still owned the catalogue, but they were released after Concord bought the catalogue. So, if anyone at Concord still has a brain inside their head, there may be hope yet.

I think you have this right. Concord has the potential to create great sets (the Ray Charles ABC Singles box being a good recent example) but. . . why should they in jazz in this day and age of cd devaluation.

I think you have this slightly incorrect, if I'm not mistaken. Those projects may have been conceived when Fantasy still owned the catalogue, but they were released after Concord bought the catalogue. So, if anyone at Concord still has a brain inside their head, there may be hope yet.

I think you have this right. Concord has the potential to create great sets (the Ray Charles ABC Singles box being a good recent example) but. . . why should they in jazz in this day and age of cd devaluation.

Absolutely right, Lon. Was going to say the same myself, but fogot :D

MG

I'll never forget Chuck's prescient words about getting the OJCs while you could when the sale was first announced.

Londoners might like to know that Fopp in Covent Garden has lots of OJCs at £3 each or two for £5. The promotion includes Pablos and a few Verves (probably because Universal distributes them in Europe).

Please, for the next few months, forgive typos! I haven't got used to where the keys are on my new machine. Half the letters were missing from the keys on the old one, but my fingers still knew where everything was. :crazy:

MG

OK, well forgyve yuo1

I actually bought that last version of Ugetsu for the new track - it was a disappointment, just as the extra tracks on a previous reissue were. I think that title (one of the best!) was just about right the way it was originally issued.

I beg to differ.

'Eva', already on previous issues, is a beautiful Shorter piece not released elsewhere (there's a rejected version from the Free For All sessions that we will probably never hear) which was intended for the eponymous Joseph Losey film but not used. This version of 'Conception' is very interesting and it's rare to hear the Messengers play a Shearing tune. Wayne is a bit off-mike in the opening head which is probably why it was not issued before.

Of course, there is a probably a lot more material from this date. I assume they recorded the whole night (6/16/63). I wonder what other tunes were in the repertoire? I'm sorry I could not make this gig, but I was only 7 days old :)

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

My understanding/memery is that the last of them came out under Concord, but had already been in the pipeline from Fantasy. Concord has conceived nothing.

My understanding/memery is that the last of them came out under Concord, but had already been in the pipeline from Fantasy. Concord has conceived nothing.

Correct and some completed sets seem to have been abandoned.

Also, it took them *ages* to finally bring on the third Trane box... but I won't complain as I love the three boxes!

Chuck, what abandoned sets are you aware of?

The only one I thought having heard of as being planned was a Dolphy Five Spot set, but then the Dolphy box is quite okay with me ;)

Everything you listen to on 78, LP, CD or whatever medium comes from the past and is therefore historical ;)

Well, maybe we ought to start and play our own music... on Sunday nights, do a private re-enactment of "Kind of Blue" (or "Coltrane in Japan", if you dare) with friends and neighbours :crazy:

Okay, I guess I gave Concord more credit than due.

Still, who has put out great box sets since the death of Fantasy? There haven't been many outside of Mosaic and Hip-O Select . . . .

These days are not those days.

I enjoy very much the boxed sets of Ben E KIng and Wilson Picket I got about a year ago. KInda cheap (GOOD!) but the music!!!

MG