122 replies to this topic

#61 jazzbo

jazzbo

Just a Lucky So and So

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,266 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:18 AM

Well, to be honest when I choose to buy many of these reissues it is for the improved sound. Maybe it's just me, maybe it's my system, likely it's me and my system both, but most of them are an improvement sonically to my ears. I bought the Evans in the last "OJC Remaster" box because I want to have all the Evans Riverside and Milestone material, music that I really enjoy deeply, in better sound than the original cd releases. I'm nearing completion of that goal for the albums released at the time. When I replace one, I give or trade or sell off the original.

It seems evident to me that the labels have their own way of looking at what titles to release, right or wrong. I know that others have reported here on the board Michael Cuscuna's maxim that a reissue is going to sell proportionally no better than the original in almost all cases. Concord must feel they can put out the "core" titles over and over and guarantee enough sales from new listeners and also those such as myself who will upgrade certain titles.

#62 sonnymax

sonnymax

Groove Merchant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:22 AM

I have no criticism of Fantasy, who were the ones that reissued those titles and kept them in print for so long. Concord is another matter altogether.

Look at how many times Fantasy reissued some of their most popular titles on CD, and compare that with how many times they've been reissued since Concord obtained the back catalog in 2004.

#63 Jazz Nut

Jazz Nut

Veteran Groover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 03:40 PM

Another batch on the way (all 15 March):

Monk's Music by Thelonious Monk

Stan Getz/Cal Tjader Sextet

Ugetsu by Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers

Ella and Oscar by Ella Fitzgerald & Oscar Peterson

Getz and Tjader's performance of Vince Guaraldi's Ginza Samba is perfection. But I'm not paying for it a second time to buy an insignificant increase in fidelity.

I don't understand why Concord isn't issuing unreleased-on-CD Concord Record sessions, as well as alternates and previously unreleased material from the Concord vaults. They're idiots.

Totally agree about all of the unreleased Concord recordings from the 70s-80s. I am thinking in particular of the Marshal Royal recordings that are only on LP. There's great music!!! I've even bugged Mosaic about it....who knows :wacko:

#64 paul secor

paul secor

Groovissimo!

• Members
  • 21,031 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:46 PM

Getz and Tjader's performance of Vince Guaraldi's Ginza Samba is perfection. But I'm not paying for it a second time to buy an insignificant increase in fidelity.

I don't understand why Concord isn't issuing unreleased-on-CD Concord Record sessions, as well as alternates and previously unreleased material from the Concord vaults. They're idiots.

Totally agree about all of the unreleased Concord recordings from the 70s-80s. I am thinking in particular of the Marshal Royal recordings that are only on LP. There's great music!!! I've even bugged Mosaic about it....who knows :wacko:

The problem is that those recordings probably didn't sell as LPs and probably won't sell much as CDs. Has Mosaic ever issued anything from the Fantasy or Concord vaults?

#65 mikeweil

mikeweil

totally tjaderized

• Members
  • 15,487 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:41 PM

Has Mosaic ever issued anything from the Fantasy or Concord vaults?

Not yet ...

#66 JETman

JETman

Groove Merchant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 09:47 PM

Has Mosaic ever issued anything from the Fantasy or Concord vaults?

Not yet ...

I think that some stuff on one of the older jazz sets, maybe HRS, was from the Fantasy vaults.

#67 Brownian Motion

Brownian Motion

Funktastic!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,796 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 08:50 AM

The problem is that those recordings probably didn't sell as LPs and probably won't sell much as CDs. Has Mosaic ever issued anything from the Fantasy or Concord vaults?

If the Concord group won't release the material they should lease the tapes to Fresh Sound or Definitive.

#68 paul secor

paul secor

Groovissimo!

• Members
  • 21,031 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 03:32 PM

If the Concord group won't release the material they should lease the tapes to Fresh Sound or Definitive.

I think you're living in a dream world.

#69 skeith

skeith

Groove Merchant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 03:53 PM

Well, to be honest when I choose to buy many of these reissues it is for the improved sound. Maybe it's just me, maybe it's my system, likely it's me and my system both, but most of them are an improvement sonically to my ears. I bought the Evans in the last "OJC Remaster" box because I want to have all the Evans Riverside and Milestone material, music that I really enjoy deeply, in better sound than the original cd releases. I'm nearing completion of that goal for the albums released at the time. When I replace one, I give or trade or sell off the original.

It seems evident to me that the labels have their own way of looking at what titles to release, right or wrong. I know that others have reported here on the board Michael Cuscuna's maxim that a reissue is going to sell proportionally no better than the original in almost all cases. Concord must feel they can put out the "core" titles over and over and guarantee enough sales from new listeners and also those such as myself who will upgrade certain titles.

Lon, which Evans box are your talking about?

#70 felser

felser

Master of the Groove!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,844 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:19 AM

Maybe the Village Vanguard box, which is spectacular in every regard (including low price).

#71 Dmitry

Dmitry

Master of the Groove!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,225 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:40 AM

The problem is that those recordings probably didn't sell as LPs and probably won't sell much as CDs.

Paul is quite right. From the financial standpoint releasing some of these sessions on cd would be unprofitable. They could do one of two things [or both] - on-line downloads and/or a subscription-based cd release for some of these scarce sessions.
In my dream world they would offer a subscription sacd package.

#72 jazzbo

jazzbo

Just a Lucky So and So

• Members
  • 30,266 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 12:06 PM

Maybe the Village Vanguard box, which is spectacular in every regard (including low price).

Sorry s, the "box" was really a typo, I meant issues, individual cds. I meant the recent "Waltz for Debbie." I'm buying any part of the Riverside/Milestone Evans box set that is K2 or 24 bit remastered, etc.

#73 skeith

skeith

Groove Merchant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 02:03 PM

Sorry s, the "box" was really a typo, I meant issues, individual cds. I meant the recent "Waltz for Debbie." I'm buying any part of the Riverside/Milestone Evans box set that is K2 or 24 bit remastered, etc.

Lon - have you compared Waltz for Debbie to the Evans Village Vanguard box (which contains Waltz for Debbie) from a few years ago?

#74 jazzbo

jazzbo

Just a Lucky So and So

• Members
  • 30,266 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:59 PM

I've just made a very cursory comparison so far s. They seem essentially the same.

#75 EyeSpeech

EyeSpeech

Groover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:43 PM

I've given away my versions other than the APO stuff. I think I may be missing some takes.

#76 J.A.W.

J.A.W.

Music addict

• Members
  • 11,219 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:00 PM

Lon - have you compared Waltz for Debbie to the Evans Village Vanguard box (which contains Waltz for Debbie) from a few years ago?

The title is "Waltz for Debby". Bill Evans dedicated the song to his niece Debby - see Peter Pettinger's Evans bio "How My Heart Sings".

#77 jazzbo

jazzbo

Just a Lucky So and So

• Members
  • 30,266 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 12:08 AM

Sorry, I spelled that wrong. My favorite cousin is Debbie, and my last boss was Debbie. I've never really known a Debby, and didn't think to spell it that way.

#78 skeith

skeith

Groove Merchant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:46 AM

I've just made a very cursory comparison so far s. They seem essentially the same.

Lon,

I have listened carefully for a week, and while they are close, I have a slight preference for the new OJC remaster.

#79 crisp

crisp

Supa Groover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:16 AM

Three more titles coming:

Moon Beams, The Bill Evans Trio

The Quintet: Jazz At Massey Hall

Misterioso, Thelonious Monk Quartet

#80 colinmce

colinmce

Funkateer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,354 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:34 AM

Gee, how exciting.

#81 JETman

JETman

Groove Merchant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:42 AM

yawn

#82 crisp

crisp

Supa Groover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:53 AM

Only sayin...

#83 David Ayers

David Ayers

Dr. Funkenstein

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,361 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:03 AM

Only sayin...

Yes, but we want someone to blame...

#84 felser

felser

Master of the Groove!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,844 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:15 AM

Only sayin...

Yes, but we want someone to blame...

The shame is that Fantasy was actually starting to do some credible reissue packages (Stitt's Bits, Red Garland at the Prelude, the three Coltrane boxes, the Miles Quintet box, the Evans VV box, etc.) before they sold the catalog to Concord. So much more that could have been done along those lines. Now we're back to this. This, and "..... Plays for Lovers", and the beloved Andorrans doing the only intelligent reissue packaging.

#85 king ubu

king ubu

just sayin'

• Members
  • 25,506 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:17 PM

I want that missing Ahmed Abdul-Malik album... and the Sonny Red w/Teef!

#86 Peter Friedman

Peter Friedman

Groovissimo!

• Members
  • 11,083 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:36 PM

I want that missing Ahmed Abdul-Malik album... and the Sonny Red w/Teef!

The Sonny Red with Teef is on the recently issued Sonny Red 2 CD set on Fresh Sound.

#87 jazzbo

jazzbo

Just a Lucky So and So

• Members
  • 30,266 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:19 PM

Yes, but like me I know that Flurin would prefer to have one remastered by Tarantino from the original tapes. The Fresh Sound isn't all that it could be if the tapes were there.

#88 bertrand

bertrand

Funktastic!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,292 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:37 PM

There is an extra track, 'Conception', on this new issue of Ugetsu.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand, 10 May 2012 - 10:37 PM.

#89 Late

Late

Funkateer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:11 AM

[So much more that could have been done along those lines.

I was hoping for a Dolphy/Little Five Spot box (Tarantino remastered, in recorded order), but alas ... :bwallace: .

#90 king ubu

king ubu

just sayin'

• Members
  • 25,506 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:07 AM

Aaarg, these extra tracks keep annoying me... I'm buying these albums for the third time now...

And indeed I'd have loved a proper Fantasy reissue of the missing Red album!

As things are now, I guess we all ought to be glad about those Fresh Sound reissues, but I still don't like them, even if I buy some now and then (the Lenny McBrowne for instance).

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users