new OJC Remasters

Popkin

Well, to be honest when I choose to buy many of these reissues it is for the improved sound. Maybe it's just me, maybe it's my system, likely it's me and my system both, but most of them are an improvement sonically to my ears. I bought the Evans in the last "OJC Remaster" box because I want to have all the Evans Riverside and Milestone material, music that I really enjoy deeply, in better sound than the original cd releases. I'm nearing completion of that goal for the albums released at the time. When I replace one, I give or trade or sell off the original.

It seems evident to me that the labels have their own way of looking at what titles to release, right or wrong. I know that others have reported here on the board Michael Cuscuna's maxim that a reissue is going to sell proportionally no better than the original in almost all cases. Concord must feel they can put out the "core" titles over and over and guarantee enough sales from new listeners and also those such as myself who will upgrade certain titles.

Lon, which Evans box are your talking about?

Maybe the Village Vanguard box, which is spectacular in every regard (including low price).

Sorry s, the "box" was really a typo, I meant issues, individual cds. I meant the recent "Waltz for Debbie." I'm buying any part of the Riverside/Milestone Evans box set that is K2 or 24 bit remastered, etc.

Lon - have you compared Waltz for Debbie to the Evans Village Vanguard box (which contains Waltz for Debbie) from a few years ago?

The title is "Waltz for Debby". Bill Evans dedicated the song to his niece Debby - see Peter Pettinger's Evans bio "How My Heart Sings".

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

Only sayin...

Yes, but we want someone to blame...

The shame is that Fantasy was actually starting to do some credible reissue packages (Stitt's Bits, Red Garland at the Prelude, the three Coltrane boxes, the Miles Quintet box, the Evans VV box, etc.) before they sold the catalog to Concord. So much more that could have been done along those lines. Now we're back to this. This, and "..... Plays for Lovers", and the beloved Andorrans doing the only intelligent reissue packaging.

Aaarg, these extra tracks keep annoying me... I'm buying these albums for the third time now...

And indeed I'd have loved a proper Fantasy reissue of the missing Red album!

As things are now, I guess we all ought to be glad about those Fresh Sound reissues, but I still don't like them, even if I buy some now and then (the Lenny McBrowne for instance).

Only sayin...

The shame is that Fantasy was actually starting to do some credible reissue packages (Stitt's Bits, Red Garland at the Prelude, the three Coltrane boxes, the Miles Quintet box, the Evans VV box, etc.) before they sold the catalog to Concord. So much more that could have been done along those lines. Now we're back to this. This, and "..... Plays for Lovers", and the beloved Andorrans doing the only intelligent reissue packaging.

I think you have this slightly incorrect, if I'm not mistaken. Those projects may have been conceived when Fantasy still owned the catalogue, but they were released after Concord bought the catalogue. So, if anyone at Concord still has a brain inside their head, there may be hope yet.

1336748282' post='1195224']

1336666536' post='1195017']

1336665782' post='1195014']

1336665190' post='1195010']

Only sayin...

I think you have this slightly incorrect, if I'm not mistaken. Those projects may have been conceived when Fantasy still owned the catalogue, but they were released after Concord bought the catalogue. So, if anyone at Concord still has a brain inside their head, there may be hope yet.

I'll never forget Chuck's prescient words about getting the OJCs while you could when the sale was first announced.