Gran Canaria, fantastic vacation location

I am hardly the first person to discover how lovely it is, but I'd still like to recommend Gran Canaria to all as a delightful place for a relaxing vacation.

I just spent a fantastic week there, and it was the best vacation I've ever had.

I'm nowhere near an expert on the island (which is one of the seven Canary Islands, and is technically part of Spain - though not the E.U.), but what I did experience was all wonderful.

I was in Playa del Ingles and San Agustin, and nowhere else, apart from the airport.

What does it have going for it? Why go there at all? Well, I found virtually nothing not to like. Temperature hovering about the 70-80 degree mark, hardly any rain, everything very clean and safe. Prices of everything (except housing!!) very low - hotels, meals, gifts etc. People very laid-back and friendly.

It was fun to speak Spanish and German for a week - there are very many Germans there. I was hoping also to re-visit Vienna, but Playa del Ingles covered that, too, as a fantastic bonus. In the Centro Comercial Cita (Cita Mall), I was delighted to find a Cafe Wien that has a yummy Eerdbeertorte, served by a lady from Frankfurt, plus a German restaurant that was owned by a lady from Vienna and had Wienerschnitzels and Erdinger Weissbier on the menu.

(Sorry, my Windows is acting up and I can't access all the Spanish accents and umlauts at the moment.)

You can get by with just English there, but the locals are not terribly good at it, so a few dozen Spanish phrases would be a big help. Plus, it's a huge ice-breaker if you make an effort to speak the local language.

Highly recommeded for recharging the old batteries.