Other albums in my collection which I have listed as recorded in 1959...(aside from ones already listed)

Cannonball Adderley - In San Francisco

Nat Adderley - Much Brass

Kenny Burrell Trio - A Night At The Village Vanguard

Charlie Byrd - Mr. Guitar

Donald Byrd - Byrd In Hand; Fuego

Arnett Cobb - Blow Arnett, Blow

Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis - Very Saxy

Kenny Dorham - Blue Spring; Quiet Kenny

Bill Evans - Portraits In Jazz

Slim Gaillard - Rides Again!

Jimmy Giuffre - The Easy Way

Coleman Hawkins - Hawk Eyes

Jon Hendricks - A Good Git-Together

Willis "Gator Tail" Jackson - Keep On Blowin'

Wynton Kelly - Kelly Blue

Yusef Lateef - Cry! Tender

Jackie McLean - Jackie's Bag

Blue Mitchell - Blue Soul; Out Of The Blue

Thelonious Monk - Alone In San Francisco

James Moody - S/T (Argo)

Howard Roberts - Good Pickin's

Horace Silver - Blowin' The Blues Away

Cal Tjader - Monterey Concerts

Ben Webster Meets Oscar Peterson

Edited by Noj

1959 was the last successive year (since 1942) in which jazz singles appeared on the R&B chart. There were none in 1960, only 2 in 1961 ("Sack of woe" by Ray Bryant and "One mint julep" by Ray Charles), 3 in 1962. So, by 1959, jazz was on its last legs as a force for entertainment in the ghettos.

Compare it with 1948, in which there were R&B hits by Paul Williams (3), Earl Bostic, Lionel Hampton, Wild Bill Moore, Mabel Scott (2), Hal Singer, Cab Calloway, Dizzy Gillespie, Don Byas (2), Todd Rhodes, Tiny Grimes, Duke Ellington, Al Hibbler and Charlie Parker. And of course, plenty by Louis Jordan, Nat Cole, Ella Fitzgerald and Dinah Washington.

MG

Not really sure 1959 was THE best year but I have good memories of that year.

Among the Paris club and concert appearances I attended were:

- Horace Silver quintet (with Blue Mitchell and Junior Cook) at the Club Saint-Germain (several weeks after Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers with Lee Morgan and Benny Golson, but that was in still 1958),

- Sonny Rollins trio (with Henry Gimes and Pete LaRocca) at the Club Saint-Germain,

- Oscar Pettiford (with Lucky Thompson joining in) at Le Chat Qui Pèche,

- Kenny Dorham with Barney Wilen and Duke Jordan at the Club Saint-Germain,

- Bud Powell trio at the Club Saint-Germain,

- Duke Ellington at the Salle Pleyel,

- the Modern Jazz Quartet at the Théatre des Champs-Elysées.

Somehow I missed - and still kick myself for this - Lester Young at the Paris Blue Note (his final club appearance).

I have good memories of that year, too, but they're R&B memories :) I got my first record player for Christmas 1958, when we moved to London. So 1959, was a fantastic year for a fifteen/sixteen year old!

MG

Among the Paris club and concert appearances I attended were:

- Horace Silver quintet (with Blue Mitchell and Junior Cook) at the Club Saint-Germain (several weeks after Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers with Lee Morgan and Benny Golson, but that was in still 1958),

- Sonny Rollins trio (with Henry Gimes and Pete LaRocca) at the Club Saint-Germain,

- Oscar Pettiford (with Lucky Thompson joining in) at Le Chat Qui Pèche,

- Kenny Dorham with Barney Wilen and Duke Jordan at the Club Saint-Germain,

- Bud Powell trio at the Club Saint-Germain,

- Duke Ellington at the Salle Pleyel,

- the Modern Jazz Quartet at the Théatre des Champs-Elysées.

Wow!

1959 was also thefirst time Studebaker posted a profit since 1952 (?)(29 million = what, 500 million in 2010 dollars?). This allowed them to build their last run of great cars (including the R3 option Avanti, fastest production car in the world, all 9 of 'em) but also to diversify and get the hell out of the car biz by 1966, saving the shareholders' shirts...there's a concept, the board and management of a corp working for the benefit of the shareholders.

Guess it all depends on your perspective - 1959 was a v. good year for recorded jaz, but so arguably was just about any year up til what, the early-mid 70's when all American music went to hell and never came never came back, or not?

Edited by danasgoodstuff

1961. The year of our lord, the Baby Wynton.

Three Wise Men came to Lincoln Center and spotted a star.

by the time they realized it was only a policeman's flashlight it was too late. The miracle had occurred.

Or, as the baby t shirt said, "I am proof that my Mom put out". (On the back, it says "at least once".)

Edited by Shrdlu

I don't know about you, but I'm very happy with 2010. There is so much excellent progressive house and trance out there, and the clubbing is way better than it was when I was in my teens and 20s.

Looking for live jazz doesn't bother me anymore (I gave up years ago), because I already have all the recordings that I want.

But, yeah, 1959 was a fine year for recorded jazz (Chris is right).

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...