Question from Laurie Pepper

straightlife

My next release from Widow's Taste will be a two disc set featuring a wonderful concert in Stuttgart in 1981. The tour was booked by Alexander Zivkovic.

Does anybody know where I might find him?

This concert took place at the end of a month long European tour, traveling every day, performing nearly every night, and I can't remember it. Does anyone know where, at what venue in Stuttgart, it might have taken place????

Tour Program

Edited by straightlife

I can't help you with those questions but I'm thrilled to know about the next release!!! :) Do you know when it will be available for purchase??

thanks so much!

My next release from Widow's Taste will be a two disc set featuring a wonderful concert in Stuttgart in 1981. The tour was booked by Alexander Zivkovic.

Does anybody know where I might find him?

This concert took place at the end of a month long European tour, traveling every day, performing nearly every night, and I can't remember it. Does anyone know where, at what venue in Stuttgart, it might have taken place????

Tour Program

Yes - and you can get in touch with the folks from Südwestrundfunk (SWR) here:

http://www.swr.de/swr2/programm/sendungen/jazz/-/id=659242/vv=email/nid=659242/did=661414/15alseh/index.html

I have received session logs from their archives several times, they're very kind and usually pretty quick in answering! They might even know in which hall of the Liederhalle Art Performed (and all of that would be on their typewritten logs, where in handwriting they also added notes about the music and at which dates which tunes were broadcast etc).

And I forgot to add - great to see the series going on, and great to see the fine Stuttgart concert released!

Will check my 1981 copies of JAZZ PODIUM (as it is I still have them, though they are up for sale) and will be back with more detailed info (if any) on this concert at the Liederhalle (the only likely venue in Stuttgart for this kind of concert at that time) ASAP.

Update:

The May, 1981 issue of JP had a note in its concert agenda stating that the 25/05 concert would be held in the BEETHOVENSAAL of the Liederhalle (a smoewhat smaller hall inside that venue that was most often used for this type of concert. In fact other - larger - halls of the Liederhalle would really be a bit overwhelming for anything but a symphonic orchestra or otherwise quite large event).

The same issue of May has a 2-page feature summing up the career of Art Pepper but though I've searched high and low through the subsequent issues of 1981 strangely enough no review of the concert was to be found!

Edited by Big Beat Steve

• 3 months later...

Question to Laurie Pepper:

what's the point of asking this forum for information and then ignore the answers when they are provided within 24 hours?

The liner notes to the Art Pepper Unreleased Art, Vol. V says 'Recorded live somewhere in Stuttgart, Germany'.

'Somewhere in Stuttgart' was the Liederhalle concert hall as clearly indicated by several posters here.

That said. Great release. Hoping there will be more!

• 8 years later...
On ‎11‎.‎06‎.‎2010 at 3:37 PM, brownie said:

Question to Laurie Pepper:

what's the point of asking this forum for information and then ignore the answers when they are provided within 24 hours?

The liner notes to the Art Pepper Unreleased Art, Vol. V says 'Recorded live somewhere in Stuttgart, Germany'.

'Somewhere in Stuttgart' was the Liederhalle concert hall as clearly indicated by several posters here.

That said. Great release. Hoping there will be more!

I still wonder about that ... actually finally bought the Stuttgart Liederhalle concert - guess it took me so long to get over the ignunce ... and searching for this thread, I see that Laurie even asked the question a second time, a few weeks later, and got the very same reply and another possible source of information to reach out to by Big Beat Steve ...

1 hour ago, king ubu said:

I still wonder about that ... actually finally bought the Stuttgart Liederhalle concert - guess it took me so long to get over the ignunce ... and searching for this thread, I see that Laurie even asked the question a second time, a few weeks later, and got the very same reply and another possible source of information to reach out to by Big Beat Steve ...

Nevertheless (beneath Croydon and the Ronnie Scott`s material) a highlight within Laruie`s posthumous Art Pepper releases ....

2 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Nevertheless (beneath Croydon and the Ronnie Scott`s material) a highlight within Laruie`s posthumous Art Pepper releases ....

I know ... the main reason I could provide info was that I knew the recording already (a radio broadcast that did make the rounds ...)

I love the series and am saddened that the pace of actual CD releases has slowed down to a drizzle (and the fact that Laurie closed the "kitchen cabinet" which was kind of a subscription, without telling subscribers, sucked, too ... I kinda stopped following all the freebies and lone tracks that kept coming for a while, it all seemed to lack a concept more and more, alas).

14 minutes ago, king ubu said:

I know ... the main reason I could provide info was that I knew the recording already (a radio broadcast that did make the rounds ...)

I love the series and am saddened that the pace of actual CD releases has slowed down to a drizzle (and the fact that Laurie closed the "kitchen cabinet" which was kind of a subscription, without telling subscribers, sucked, too ... I kinda stopped following all the freebies and lone tracks that kept coming for a while, it all seemed to lack a concept more and more, alas).

Share the sentiment, we simply have to settle for what we got I believe ....

Edited by soulpope

Yeah, those 1981 concerts were a highlight of all European festivals. In the summer of 1981 Art Pepper played in Austria (Velden) with a different rhythm section (with Lou Levy on piano), actually Stan Getz´ rhythm section who was also scheduled. Since we don´t have recorded documents of that event, those Stuttgart and Croydon releases are very very welcome. I´m glad I have them and have listened to them many many times. I think my personal highlights are the extended versions of "Make a List, make a wish" (or something like that), and above all "Your´s my heart only".

23 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

Yeah, those 1981 concerts were a highlight of all European festivals. In the summer of 1981 Art Pepper played in Austria (Velden) with a different rhythm section (with Lou Levy on piano), actually Stan Getz´ rhythm section who was also scheduled. Since we don´t have recorded documents of that event, those Stuttgart and Croydon releases are very very welcome. I´m glad I have them and have listened to them many many times. I think my personal highlights are the extended versions of "Make a List, make a wish" (or something like that), and above all "Your´s my heart only".

And David Williams on bass, if I remember correctly ....

There were two tours in 1981, one in May and one a bit later in summer, I think (must be mentioned in the notes to the releases). Quick search yields among other things this (David Williams indeed):

http://www.cyberseekers.com/s_211039-j.htm

(nothing to buy there, so I hope the link is alright)

--

The Copenhagen recording - with Duke Jordan sitting on piano - comes from the second tour as well:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_Pepper_with_Duke_Jordan_in_Copenhagen_1981

24 minutes ago, king ubu said:

There were two tours in 1981, one in May and one a bit later in summer, I think (must be mentioned in the notes to the releases). Quick search yields among other things this (David Williams indeed):

http://www.cyberseekers.com/s_211039-j.htm

(nothing to buy there, so I hope the link is alright)

--

The Copenhagen recording - with Duke Jordan sitting on piano - comes from the second tour as well:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_Pepper_with_Duke_Jordan_in_Copenhagen_1981

Interesting about the "summer tour" in July 1981 - the Copenhagen "Montmartre" performance is dated July 3rd, 1981 (with Duke Jordan substituting George Cables) and the Velden Concert 

Velden_1981.png

with Lou Levy instead George Cables also on July 3rd, 1981 .... hmmh ....

Edited by soulpope

Checked the info I have (from the Pepper recording shared on Dime years ago) - and indeed, it seems the Velden gig took place a day later than scheduled according to the poster. My info says July 4, 1981 (which is not confirmed ... is there any Austrian daily paper that has a - digitally accessible to anyone reading here - archive to check this? Not that I assume newspapers at that time would have necessarily reported about all jazz concerts, but maybe there are updated ads or anything?)

The recordings in circulation for which I have info handy are these:

July 4, 1981 - Velden (Austria)
July 6, 1981 - Genoa (Italy)
July 7, 1981 - Vienne (France)

The Genoa recording is an AUD, the others come from radio broadcasts.

The March 1981 tour is much better documented in terms of recordings, it seems:

May 12, 1981 - Leicester (UK) (AUD)
May 13, 1981 - Slough (UK) (unknown source)
May 14, 1981 - Croydon (UK) (BBC radio broadcast, released by Laurie as Vol. III of the series)
May 19, 1981 - Paris (France) (Radio France RB)
May 22, 1981 - Bruxelles (Belgium) (RB)
May 24, 1981 - Stuttgart (Germany) (prob. RB from Süddeutscher Rundfunk/SDR, released by Laurie as Vol. V of the series)
May 28, 1981 - Roma (Italy) (AUD)

There are probably more but I'd need to search through various external drives ...

13 minutes ago, king ubu said:

Checked the info I have (from the Pepper recording shared on Dime years ago) - and indeed, it seems the Velden gig took place a day later than scheduled according to the poster. My info says July 4, 1981 (which is not confirmed ... is there any Austrian daily paper that has a - digitally accessible to anyone reading here - archive to check this? Not that I assume newspapers at that time would have necessarily reported about all jazz concerts, but maybe there are updated ads or anything?)

The recordings in circulation for which I have info handy are these:

July 4, 1981 - Velden (Austria)
July 6, 1981 - Genoa (Italy)
July 7, 1981 - Vienne (France)

The Genoa recording is an AUD, the others come from radio broadcasts.

Interesting .... as he used Lou Levy who was scheduled to play with Stan Getz on July 4th, 1981 .... 

Edited by soulpope

Indeed - maybe Cables wasn't able to make the gig yet - Duke Jordan in Copenhagen, Levy in Velden, then Cables?

Checking the Copenhagen booklet, Laurie's notes seem to support that:

"That this date was more than usually groovy is a lucky accident that didn't seem so lucky at the time. We'd arrived in Europe without our pianist. it was Art's second long tour of Europe in a three-month period. He was at the top of his form, and at his age, with his bad health, he was at the end of his last and brightest comeback and he knew it. He was past exhaustion. Triumph and a desperation to do it all were carrying him; he was steadily writing, traveling, performing, recording.

"Art traveled with his own band because he felt he could only say everything he had to say within the context of the tunes he wrote himself, and his charts were hard to play. They had to be rehearsed and lived with for a while. The absence, for the first few days of this tour, of George Cables, Art's regular accompanist, was going to make this Copenhagen date, he feared, lackluster. Even though Art looked forward to working with the sub, the legendary Duke Jordan, he didn't look forward to playing standards, and when Danmark's radio proposed recording the first of those nights, Art was annoyed. He didn't want to seem to be just another bebopper playing the usual things."

Not sure how it all fits though, as "first of those nights" would usually refer to a multi-day gig at the Café Montmartre, not "first of the tour's nights" ... but if read like the later (which isn't impossible at all) it would make sense then, and the Velden gig the day after with yet another subbing piano player would make sense, too.

47 minutes ago, king ubu said:

Indeed - maybe Cables wasn't able to make the gig yet - Duke Jordan in Copenhagen, Levy in Velden, then Cables?

Checking the Copenhagen booklet, Laurie's notes seem to support that:

"That this date was more than usually groovy is a lucky accident that didn't seem so lucky at the time. We'd arrived in Europe without our pianist. it was Art's second long tour of Europe in a three-month period. He was at the top of his form, and at his age, with his bad health, he was at the end of his last and brightest comeback and he knew it. He was past exhaustion. Triumph and a desperation to do it all were carrying him; he was steadily writing, traveling, performing, recording.

"Art traveled with his own band because he felt he could only say everything he had to say within the context of the tunes he wrote himself, and his charts were hard to play. They had to be rehearsed and lived with for a while. The absence, for the first few days of this tour, of George Cables, Art's regular accompanist, was going to make this Copenhagen date, he feared, lackluster. Even though Art looked forward to working with the sub, the legendary Duke Jordan, he didn't look forward to playing standards, and when Danmark's radio proposed recording the first of those nights, Art was annoyed. He didn't want to seem to be just another bebopper playing the usual things."

Not sure how it all fits though, as "first of those nights" would usually refer to a multi-day gig at the Café Montmartre, not "first of the tour's nights" ... but if read like the later (which isn't impossible at all) it would make sense then, and the Velden gig the day after with yet another subbing piano player would make sense, too.

No more evidence from my side although another source mentions a series of performances @ Club Montmartre .... unfortunately my memory doesn't serve me regarding the schedule @ Jazzfest Velden 1981 ....