Question from Laurie Pepper

straightlife

I think that thread would deserve a better title, since the original question was asked more than 8 years ago. How about a title about fans sharing their impressions on live events where they heard and saw Art Pepper. This would be helpful also with other musicians of that caliber.

About the question if someone has newspaper infos about Art Pepper from Velden 1981 I only remember that Jazz Podium reviewed the festival and wrote something about how Art Pepper tried to make his references to the austrian audience by choosing Lehar´s "Your´s my heart only". I think there wasn´t much more written about it, really sad.

But at that time I almost coulde memorize everything written in Jazz Podium about (US) Musicians.

I don´t know why but most Podium critics were very busy accentuating the negative: From the same year about Dizzy at Nice for example "In 1979 Diz was the flop of the evening with his rock and funk orientated electric bass and drummer, in 1980 he sounded a bit more straight and in 1981 he returned to his 1979 type of performing...

Well, sorry, I revived this thread because I bought the Stuttgart release, finally, and noticed the "someplace in Stuttgart" on the booklet again, so ...

Either way, not too surprising what you say about reports of gigs in the late 70s/early 80s - I guess they were waiting (having almost used up the final oxygen supply) for Wynton/Crouch to save their souls ;) 

2 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

About the question if someone has newspaper infos about Art Pepper from Velden 1981 I only remember that Jazz Podium reviewed the festival and wrote something about how Art Pepper tried to make his references to the austrian audience by choosing Lehar´s "Your´s my heart only". I think there wasn´t much more written about it, really sad.

Remember this nonsense review as well .... they (like many others) believed this type of jazz was for granted and expected the genre`s bright future via the jazz renaissance courtesy of the "Young Lions" ....

21 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Remember this nonsense review as well .... they (like many others) believed this type of jazz was for granted and expected the genre`s bright future via the jazz renaissance courtesy of the "Young Lions" ....

I don't have my Jazz Podium mags from that period anymore but the way I remember the general line of the mag in those years it seemed to me that they were rather forward-minded and gave a lot of coverage to free and avantgarde and experimental jazz and jazz rock and whatnot ... Particularly to upcoming German or European artists of the day. That may have shifted somewhat through the years (yes I remember they did a feature story on Scott Hamilton too, FWIW) but Jazz Podium of the 70s and 80s did not strike me as a very traditionalist paper. As for the Dizzy Gillespie review, maybe they just found those attempts at modernization did not suit him, in particular.

40 minutes ago, Big Beat Steve said:

I don't have my Jazz Podium mags from that period anymore but the way I remember the general line of the mag in those years it seemed to me that they were rather forward-minded and gave a lot of coverage to free and avantgarde and experimental jazz and jazz rock and whatnot ... Particularly to upcoming German or European artists of the day. That may have shifted somewhat through the years (yes I remember they did a feature story on Scott Hamilton too, FWIW) but Jazz Podium of the 70s and 80s did not strike me as a very traditionalist paper. As for the Dizzy Gillespie review, maybe they just found those attempts at modernization did not suit him, in particular.

Was not a regular reader of Jazzpodium .... Art Pepper obviously didn`t have an extended fan base in Europe - compared f.i to Japan where he graced  the cover of the "Swing Journal Japan" and received top coverage - and lukewarm reviews like this helped his cause neither ....

Edited by soulpope

1 hour ago, soulpope said:

Was not a regular reader of Jazzpodium .... Art Pepper obviously didn`t have an extended fan base in Europe - compared f.i to Japan where he graced  the cover of the "Swing Journal Japan" and received top coverage - and lukewarm reviews like this helped his cause neither ....

I wasn't a regular reader of JP either but bought an almost complete collection of JP from mid-1953 to 1986 or 87 in 2005 or so. I only kept the years up to 1966 and sold the later years (the last ones went at a fleamarket about a year ago) but before I packed away those available for sale I went through all of them and and made and kept photocopies of those features, stories and record reviews that were of lasting interest to me. As you can imagine this was an intense reading crash course and you got a pretty good impression of the mag as a whole because you did all your reading during a reatively short span of time.

33 minutes ago, Big Beat Steve said:

I wasn't a regular reader of JP either but bought an almost complete collection of JP from mid-1953 to 1986 or 87 in 2005 or so. I only kept the years up to 1966 and sold the later years (the last ones went at a fleamarket about a year ago) but before I packed away those available for sale I went through all of them and and made and kept photocopies of those features, stories and record reviews that were of lasting interest to me. As you can imagine this was an intense reading crash course and you got a pretty good impression of the mag as a whole because you did all your reading during a reatively short span of time.

So you have a in-depth insight for sure .... must have been a very interesting read  (especially with the time gap between the release dates and your studies) ....