Billie Holiday : Complete Columbia box $26.64

(10 CD) $23.66 plus shipping

Amazon third party

This set is a European budget edition of the more lavish US box. Discs are in simple cardboard sleeves; the 10 of them and the booklet fit neatly in a cardboard box the size of a thick jewel case. Another review incorrectly identifies this as a Definitive Records (Spain) issue. However, this is genuine Sony Music, Legacy series. The sound is as good as the US edition. Extra tracks (alternative takes and airchecks) start on disc 7 and take up the last three discs, as on the US edition. The booklet contains full production notes, an alphabetical song index, and Gary Giddins' essay "Ladies Day". Another essay by Farah Jasmine Griffin describes literary references to Ms. Holiday.

Edited by Tjazz

(10 CD) $23.66 plus shipping

Amazon third party

Hmmm, interesting...I wonder if it's a bootleg though...check out the description on an ebay listing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/LADY-DAY-COMPLETE-BILLIE-HOLIDAY-COLUMBIA-1933-44-10CD_W0QQitemZ170446395508QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMusic_CDs?hash=item27af659874

Edited by BERIGAN

It's Andorran. Anyone have it?

Edit: It has Columbia/Sony/Legacy logos on back. I'm confused.

That's the same pic as the Andorran one on Amazon US, and it differs greatly from the official one: Lady Day: the Complete Billie Holiday on Columbia 1933-1944

There's a cheapo Sony version that came out a few months ago, I'm sure it was discussed here.

It's perfectly legit, and I think it even has a small booklet with the discographical info (but don't nail me for this, I have the big box!). It's a "wallet box" or how they call these, cardboard box the size of a regular CD, more or less, with the discs packed in cardboard (or paper) sleeves. Nothing fancy, just a great way to sell the music cheaper to those who wouldn't go for the expensive big box!

However, there are several Spanish and Italian versions around (Comet is one, from Italy, not sure which of the Lonehills/Jazz Factories etc has released it in Spain).

It's totally legit Conrad. Even the ebay listing one is, for a different market.

I bought this set and gave it to my girlfriend. It is as Flurin describes, has the booklet with all discographic info but wihtout the track by track analysis.

This is definitely legit. That Amazon review for the Definitive set was misplaced there by Amazon (and has been there since this legit set was first listed). Someone at Amazon erroneously assumed they were the same set and attached the older review of the Definitive set to this newer listing of the legit Sony European release. rolleyes.gif

By the way, I've made many, many purchases from importcds (the Amazon Marketplace seller)--quick shipping, always brand-new as described, and never a hitch. thumbs_up.gif