Ahmad Jamal and Carter/Bradford Mosaics can be pre-ordered

I have had some bad experience with the delivery of my Ahmad Jamal Mosaic. When I originally received the package last Saturday, the box was crushed. When Mosaic was shipping their box sets directly, they would always fill the box with Styrofoam packing peanuts or plastic bubble wrap.

Since they have outsourced the shipping and delivery to 3PL, my box came half empty with just one thin piece of bubble wrap. My Mosaic box was damaged and the lid also had a mis-print to boot! Unfortunately the lid of the box has a sizable crease in the side, and, as a result, the printing was crooked. Very unlike Mosaic from my experience.

I called Customer Service who agreed to send out a replacement box. That replacement shipment arrived on Thursday, and, you guessed it, the shipping box was also damaged. Good news: the Mosaic box was not damaged. Bad news: they sent me the Jazz Crusaders box as a replacement rather than Ahmad Jamal.

After my second long distance call to Mosaic on Friday, they promised to rectify the problem and send me a replacement Ahmad Jamal box. Hopefully, the third time is a charm! I am surprised that they did not offer any apologies for my troubles. Makes you wonder about their Customer Service and how much they value their clientele.

Oh well…

LWayne

It ain't what it used to be.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have had some bad experience with the delivery of my Ahmad Jamal Mosaic. When I originally received the package last Saturday, the box was crushed. When Mosaic was shipping their box sets directly, they would always fill the box with Styrofoam packing peanuts or plastic bubble wrap.

Since they have outsourced the shipping and delivery to 3PL, my box came half empty with just one thin piece of bubble wrap. My Mosaic box was damaged and the lid also had a mis-print to boot! Unfortunately the lid of the box has a sizable crease in the side, and, as a result, the printing was crooked. Very unlike Mosaic from my experience.

I called Customer Service who agreed to send out a replacement box. That replacement shipment arrived on Thursday, and, you guessed it, the shipping box was also damaged. Good news: the Mosaic box was not damaged. Bad news: they sent me the Jazz Crusaders box as a replacement rather than Ahmad Jamal.

After my second long distance call to Mosaic on Friday, they promised to rectify the problem and send me a replacement Ahmad Jamal box. Hopefully, the third time is a charm! I am surprised that they did not offer any apologies for my troubles. Makes you wonder about their Customer Service and how much they value their clientele.

Oh well…

LWayne

It ain't what it used to be.

I asked the question before, wondering if Fred is the new Cindy, not realizing that Fred has been there all along.

I don't think they replaced Cindy. That's my guess. Cindy was always apologetic whenever someone along the service path (usually DHL) screwed up.

Dear All, I produced the Mosaic Carter Bradford material and would be very interested in any comments or suggestions for the future regarding it. I plan to put out other similar material including the Flying Dutchman material, Bill Dixon Intents and Purposes, Hemphill Dogon A.D (have the master tapes here now), Jeremy Steig Flute Fever, and so on.

Your interest as expressed here on the site is so appreciated.

Jonathan Horwich

Wow.......put me down for copies of all of those! Great news and thanks for letting us know, Jonathan!

PS I'm playing your Carter/Bradford boxset as I'm typing this - wonderful music. Thanks again for making it available.

Edited by Head Man

I just got my two sets. I've been listening through the Jamal. What a beauty! This is the kind of set that makes you want to constantly scream "I REALLY LOVE JAZZ!" As others have commented, the notes by Kenny Washington are really special as well. Thank you, Mosaic!

Jonathan thanks, I think Carter-Bradford is among the best reissues I have heard in recent years. Starting about ten years ago, I emailed MC numerous times about a possible Revelation / Flying Dutchman set, and he never seemed to believe this great material could be economically or feasibly licensed. What a thrill to hear this music, with new material, and to know that others can discover this great jazz group. John Carter and Bobby Bradford deserve no less than Mosaic-level treatment. Thanks I look forward to more of your project labors.

Thank you all for your comments so far. So appreciated. I'd be interested in more as you hear all three discs, and their sound. Disc III has audiophile quality sound using just two mics and one analog machine so interested if this comes through to the listener. And Disc I is very good in this regard as well. So very interested in how the music and sound wears on the listener. Jonathan

My package with the two sets arrived today. Everything was perfectly packed.

Edited by B. Goren.

A week later after my third call I still have not received a replacement box. Mosaic is sinking really quickly on my "discretionary spending" list.

LWayne

I spoke with Mosaic's Scott Wenzel about the shipping problems and he told me that with any new method of operating there’s going to be some glitches along the way and that they appreciate everyone’s patience during this change. They are handling orders with fewer people than before.

Scott also told me they sold hundreds of Jamal sets so far.

After all these issues I hope Mosaic HQ is saving some $$ with this new carrier. Given that I live close to them, I haven't had any problems with my sets since they switched carriers

My last couple of Mosaic deliveries have had part of the outer box ripped. Fortunately no damage to the contents. These days it seems to be taking around ten days to get an order to California. Back when DHL was doing the deliveries the max time was three days -- put the order in on Monday it would be here by Thursday (sometimes Wednesday). I guess those days are gone.

Expecting my Jamal set on Friday. Got my fingers crossed...

My replacement Jamal box arrived today (successful after the third try). What I did notice is that the first box lid that I received, although damaged, had the print crooked on the spine and nearer the top. The replacement lid had fairly straight type, but centered near the bottom.

Strange.

LWayne

These days it seems to be taking around ten days to get an order to California. Back when DHL was doing the deliveries the max time was three days -- put the order in on Monday it would be here by Thursday (sometimes Wednesday). I guess those days are gone.

Expecting my Jamal set on Friday. Got my fingers crossed...

As I posted earlier they are handling the orders with fewer people than before and it takes more time.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just got my two sets. I've been listening through the Jamal. What a beauty! This is the kind of set that makes you want to constantly scream "I REALLY LOVE JAZZ!" As others have commented, the notes by Kenny Washington are really special as well. Thank you, Mosaic!

I just (shame on me) discovered Jamal through the Legacy CD with the Epic/Okeh recordings. How marvelous! What a trio! Really fantastic!! On to Mosaic now!

Thanks for the discussions,

Alex

Athens,Greece

• 2 weeks later...

Got my Carter/Bradford Mosaic Select a week or two ago, it sounds really good , no filler here at all. Very fine set

Hope we might see some Warne Marsh / Gary Foster unissued Revelation come out :rolleyes:

As for the Jamal I'm firmly on the fence regarding whether I really need 9 cds of this sort of material. Guess it lies in 3rd place for my next Mosaic with the upcoming Ellington and Threadgill ahead.

Got my Carter/Bradford Mosaic Select a week or two ago, it sounds really good , no filler here at all. Very fine set

Hope we might see some Warne Marsh / Gary Foster unissued Revelation come out :rolleyes:

As for the Jamal I'm firmly on the fence regarding whether I really need 9 cds of this sort of material. Guess it lies in 3rd place for my next Mosaic with the upcoming Ellington and Threadgill ahead.

Swiss label hatOLOGY issued Warne Marsh/Gary Foster Revelation material on Ne Plus Ultra (hatOLOGY 603) in 2006, while the Henry Threadgill Mosaic came out a couple of weeks ago.

i30215eq0c9.jpg

Swiss label hatOLOGY issued Warne Marsh/Gary Foster Revelation material on Ne Plus Ultra (hatOLOGY 603) in 2006, while the Henry Threadgill Mosaic came out a couple of weeks ago.

i30215eq0c9.jpg

o

Ne Plus Ultra is very fine but there are "floating around" Marsh/Foster recordings that would make for a very interesting set of unreleased material