Ahmad Jamal and Carter/Bradford Mosaics can be pre-ordered

I don't know if the list is still up-to-date, but I listed the albums that will be included in the box in this post.

It appears that either this set will include a lot of un-issued material, or there will be more recordings included than the ones that Hans lists (perhaps including the Impulse! sessions?). I am hoping for the former.

The set will include Jamal's Argo/Chess sessions only, no Impulse! dates. As mentioned on this Mosaic page, there'll be 23 unissued sides.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great! I guess I should have read the description. I'm glad that the Mosaic folks were willing and able to get the tapes after the fire. I wish someone had been able to save those Ornette Coleman Atlantic tapes that perished in a fire. It seems that there are an awful many fires in these warehouses.

That is very cool... :excited:

Of the top of my head that seems like that most unreleased stuff I've seen before......, :unsure: :unsure:

I mean I don't remember any Mosaic set having 2CDs of unreleased stuff before... Am I wrong about that one?

I don't know if the list is still up-to-date, but I listed the albums that will be included in the box in this post.

It appears that either this set will include a lot of un-issued material, or there will be more recordings included than the ones that Hans lists (perhaps including the Impulse! sessions?). I am hoping for the former.

The set will include Jamal's Argo/Chess sessions only, no Impulse! dates. As mentioned on this Mosaic page, there'll be 23 unissued sides.

That is very cool... :excited:

Of the top of my head that seems like that most unreleased stuff I've seen before......, :unsure: :unsure:

I mean I don't remember any Mosaic set having 2CDs of unreleased stuff before... Am I wrong about that one?

A large percentage of the live Count Basie set was unreleased. The Phil Woods and Charlie Parker sets were ALL unreleased.

Also the Hodges 56-61 has some unissued sessions (or mostly unissued sessions).

And I think some of the Pacific jazz sets may also have included some unissued or partly unissued sessions (the Chico Hamilton live, maybe?), and the Thad Jones/Mel Lewis contained more from the Village Vanguard dates than was on the Solid State LPs.

The Maynard also had a disc worth of unreleased Birdland material.

There have been quite a few (non-totally relesed sets) sets with unreleased material, though the Jamal may have the most. Exciting!

Edited by jazzbo

Does anyone else find it odd that the price of the 9 cd Jamal set is $149?

Yeah, that is a little odd considering the new price for big boxes is $17 per disc. I wonder if they are experimenting a little bit to see what happens when giving customers a break around the shipping threshold of $150. Total cost with shipping is $159, whereas if it were priced normally at $153 it would be $165.

This explanation actually makes sense. I hadn't thought of it. Thanx.

Unless I miss my guess,most of the unissued tracks will come from the Pershing dates of Jan 1958. Forty-three tracks were recorded but only nineteen were ever released.Of course,fire may have destroyed some unissued material. I was able to count 34 unissued tracks from the limited info I have. Jamal probably rejected a number of takes. We shall see how this plays out..

There have been quite a few (non-totally relesed sets) sets with unreleased material, though the Jamal may have the most. Exciting!

The Teagarden Roulette set had an album's worth of unreleased material from the Round Table sessions. I think it's still available too--some very nice stuff there!

gregmo

The interesting thing is that it appears that most of the sets which had a significant amount of unreleased material were the early sets... I'm suspecting that this is just coincidental.

The Teagarden Roulette set had an album's worth of unreleased material from the Round Table sessions. I think it's still available too--some very nice stuff there!

gregmo

The two Andrew Hill Selects are mostly previously unreleased...

The interesting thing is that it appears that most of the sets which had a significant amount of unreleased material were the early sets... I'm suspecting that this is just coincidental.

gregmo

• 3 weeks later...

The Ahmad Jamal set was mastered by Malcolm Addey.

This is what Michael Cuscuna wrote about the Jamal set:

"Producer’s note:

In 2007, this set was well on its way with Ahmad Jamal’s blessing. He listened to and approved a multitude of previously unissued material, expanding the legacy of this extraordinary trio. A tape search proved problematic and we spent the next two years scouring various Ahmad Jamal Argo masters scouring Europe and Japan as well as the US.

As you can hear, this legacy has been reconstructed although almost half of it has comes from digital sources. Both analog and digital sources have minor problems here and there such as the small frying sound on disc 4, track 5. The only major problem is the “Count “Em 88” album (disc 1, tracks 1-9) which for years was available only in electronically-rechanneled stereo. The only existing source in 2010 is a Japanese CD master that seems to have been dubbed from an LP. It has wow and flutter and occasional electronic static as on track 5. Every effort has been made to bring all of this music to you in the best possible fidelity."

Thanks for posting the links, Hans. A pity in both cases that the sources are compromised. Others will not mind but I guess, for me, I can't get excited about needle drops and recycled Japanese CDs.

Just saw this note on the Carter/Bradford set:

"The analog masters for SECRETS no longer exist. Disc Two, tracks 2–5 were transferred from the original vinyl to digital 24/96 by Jonathan Horwich."

Thanks for posting the links, Hans. A pity in both cases that the sources are compromised. Others will not mind but I guess, for me, I can't get excited about needle drops and recycled Japanese CDs.

I fully understand your point of view, but I don't have much of this material (actually, I don't have any of the Carter/Bradford sessions) and I'd rather have sets whose sources are compromised on a few points than no sets at all.

From Mosaic:

"Literally years in the making, this set introduces 23 previously unreleased gems approved by the artist himself. It was delayed by a fire on the Universal Studios lot in California which took much of the original Jamal trio LP masters with it and our search to reconstruct the music on the set from a variety on analog and digital sources sitting in vaults around the world. It's been a hell of a long time coming and we hope you enjoy The Complete Ahmad Jamal Trio Argo Sessions."

:( This makes me sad.

I'm glad Mosaic is putting this out though. The 1959 Newport Jazz Festival recording of this trio seems pretty awesome. It's almost tempted me into purchasing my first digital download ever! :o You can listen to a sample track from it here. Does anyone already have it? I just noticed is says "But Not for Me (Feat. Chet Baker).