Ahmad Jamal and Carter/Bradford Mosaics can be pre-ordered

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've just been told by Mosaic that my Carter/Bradford set will not be shipping for another two weeks. I think I read somewhere else that there's been a delay in producing the booklets. Ah well.......it was ever thus!

Update.......I've just heard from Mosaic that it was dispatched yesterday. I guess the booklets must have arrived earlier than expected :)

One minor point of clarification. As with the Pershing, wasn't the actual name of the DC venue Spotlight Lounge rather than 'Club'?

Of course I've no idea what the name really was, but several discographies give the name as 'Spotlite Lounge', for instance Peter Losin's Miles Davis Discography:

http://www.plosin.com/milesahead/Sessions.aspx?s=581101

EDIT: There seems to have been a club run by Clark Monroe at 52nd street in New York in the 40s called 'Spotlight Club'.

Edited by Daniel A

One minor point of clarification. As with the Pershing, wasn't the actual name of the DC venue Spotlight Lounge rather than 'Club'?

Of course I've no idea what the name really was, but several discographies give the name as 'Spotlite Lounge', for instance Peter Losin's Miles Davis Discography:

http://www.plosin.com/milesahead/Sessions.aspx?s=581101

EDIT: There seems to have been a club run by Clark Monroe at 52nd street in New York in the 40s called 'Spotlight Club'.

Daniel, I'd seen a few 'Lounge' references as well which got me to wondering? Shows up on this Dizzy disc page (see 1946).....as well as the Cannonball page (guess Miles played there a few times in '58). Maybe they changed the name in the 60s? No matter...just curious.

http://www.jazzdisco.org/dizzy-gillespie/discography/session-index/

http://www.jazzdisco.org/cannonball-adderley/discography/session-index/

p.s. -- wonder if that Miles material was recorded and released? I'm no Miles expert.

EDIT - Looks as though some of the Miles show was in fact broadcast.

Miles Davis Sextet

Miles Davis (tp) Cannonball Adderley (as) John Coltrane (ts) Bill Evans (p) Paul Chambers (b) Jimmy Cobb (d)

radio broadcast, "Bandstand USA", "Spotlight Lounge", Washington, DC, August 9 or June 30, 1958

Walkin' Jazz Music Yesterday (It) JMY ME 6402

All Of You -

'Round About Midnight -

* Miles Davis - Four-Play (Jazz Music Yesterday (It) JMY ME 6402)

p.s. -- wonder if that Miles material was recorded and released? I'm no Miles expert.

EDIT - Looks as though some of the Miles show was in fact broadcast.

Miles Davis Sextet

Miles Davis (tp) Cannonball Adderley (as) John Coltrane (ts) Bill Evans (p) Paul Chambers (b) Jimmy Cobb (d)

radio broadcast, "Bandstand USA", "Spotlight Lounge", Washington, DC, August 9 or June 30, 1958

Walkin' Jazz Music Yesterday (It) JMY ME 6402

All Of You -

'Round About Midnight -

* Miles Davis - Four-Play (Jazz Music Yesterday (It) JMY ME 6402)

The Jamal will be great!

I hope all you guys can also hear the "Chamber Music of the New Jazz" album, and the early 50s tracks that were released on the Okeh and Epic labels (labels under the Columbia umbrella). They are fantastic.

That material is the stuff that influenced Miles and others. The influence on Miles showed up on (Miles') recordings in 1956, so the Mosaic description applies to these earlier recordings, made before the items in the forthcoming set, and so it is not really accurate.

Anybody get theirs yet? I made a special request for USPS priority shipping in the special instructions block, but it was ignored. It used to be when you chose USPS over UPS, Mosaic would send it priority. Now you get a hybrid of Fed-Ex ground and local USPS at the end.

Gone are the days of fast shipping. Sigh. :(

Got mine yesterday... Probably going to start listening today or tommorrow.... :rolleyes:

Anybody get theirs yet? I made a special request for USPS priority shipping in the special instructions block, but it was ignored. It used to be when you chose USPS over UPS, Mosaic would send it priority. Now you get a hybrid of Fed-Ex ground and local USPS at the end.

Gone are the days of fast shipping. Sigh. :(